Where you've been and what you done
bill_qaz

Re: Not really a ride report as such

Post by bill_qaz »

Life is a lesson and you are never too old to learn :lol:
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

bill_qaz wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:07 pm Life is a lesson and you are never too old to learn :lol:
According to my Mrs I’m too old for motorcycling. Isn’t part of why we do this because we never bloody learn?! :lol: :roll: :lol:
Trev

Post by Trev »

Nice one, really must get around to doing the same down here when I can find the time to get the map out .... and get some proper tyres on the bike
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

enjoyed reading that :lol:
glad to see I am not the only one to struggle :lol:

my advice (to be ignored)
. get a smaller bike .. a proper trail bike (crf250L is the biggest slug suitable in terms of weight imho, lighter is even better)
. fit proper full knobblies .. small knobs are better (ask the ex, if you can find her), bigger ones gather mud.
. try to get company .. many electricians make light work .. (TRF, local club, find mates, .. or
. fuck 'um and stay on you own ..
. find better trails .. possibly use google earth to check out? / trail wise? / google maps / bing maps ???
. stay within your comfort level .. stick to dry hardpack, then explore wider fields, so to speak.
. be prepared to turn around .. ( I dont really mean that .. :lol: )
. staying on u own it will take YEARS to build up local trail knowledge .. but u will then be THE expert!
. having company is a great crack .. buzzin innit .. but then u sometimes go places u dont want to?
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

garyboy wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 3:43 pm enjoyed reading that :lol:

. get a smaller bike .. a proper trail bike (crf250L is the biggest slug suitable in terms of weight imho, lighter is even better)
. fit proper full knobblies .. small knobs are better (ask the ex, if you can find her), bigger ones gather mud.
. try to get company .. many electricians make light work .. (TRF, local club, find mates, .. or
. find better trails .. possibly use google earth to check out? / trail wise? / google maps / bing maps ???
. stay within your comfort level .. stick to dry hardpack, then explore wider fields, so to speak.
. staying on u own it will take YEARS to build up local trail knowledge .. but u will then be THE expert!
. having company is a great crack .. buzzin innit .. but then u sometimes go places u dont want to?
The right advice ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
tuftywhite

Post by tuftywhite »

Thanks for the write up.

My first venture on a green lane, was on my own, on my trusty R80g/s. I'd never ridden off road apart from across a campsite.

I found a byway and thought I'd give it a go.

The grass was high at the sides and down the middle of the track, good handlebar height. There were huge puddles along the way too, and I thought quite deep. (they really weren't)

When I'd done about a third of the track I'd decided that what I'd done was too difficult to turn back to tackle, I must go on, surely it can't be harder. Just more of the same. High concentration, getting very hot in all of my gear. I finished the track, a very happy adventurer.

When I returned home I looked up the byway on Google Maps, only to find that when the grass had been shorter, the google mapping car had been along the same trail.

Humility set in immediately. We all start somewhere, some of us never get better!! :D
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Nice one.
I ride mostly on my own, it can be daunting, but also very rewarding.

I always ride slower and more attentive to the trail spending time walking parts of a trail can save a lot blood sweat and tears later.

Just keep at it,
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

Forgive the delay in responding Gary. All very sage advice. Got to admit I'm torn between ploughing on (literally?) with the bike I have, or trading it in against 2 older bikes. A trail bike and a road bike. But tbh, although I enjoy riding them I don't really enjoy buying bikes. All the hassle and haggle and uncertainties about whether you're buying a minter or a munter wear me out. So I'll probably stick with this one for the time being.
😀👍
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

tuftywhite wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 5:59 pm Thanks for the write up.

My first venture on a green lane, was on my own, on my trusty R80g/s. I'd never ridden off road apart from across a campsite.

I found a byway and thought I'd give it a go.

The grass was high at the sides and down the middle of the track, good handlebar height. There were huge puddles along the way too, and I thought quite deep. (they really weren't)

When I'd done about a third of the track I'd decided that what I'd done was too difficult to turn back to tackle, I must go on, surely it can't be harder. Just more of the same. High concentration, getting very hot in all of my gear. I finished the track, a very happy adventurer.

When I returned home I looked up the byway on Google Maps, only to find that when the grass had been shorter, the google mapping car had been along the same trail.

Humility set in immediately. We all start somewhere, some of us never get better!! :D
Made me grin. Sounds very familiar. :oops:
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

FatFreddy wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:02 am
.. Got to admit I'm torn between ploughing on (literally?) with the bike I have, or trading it in against 2 older bikes. A trail bike and a road bike. But tbh, although I enjoy riding them I don't really enjoy buying bikes. All the hassle and haggle and uncertainties about whether you're buying a minter or a munter wear me out. So I'll probably stick with this one for the time being.
😀👍

I can understand the `hassle` bit .. second hand bikes are rarely what you expect .. tho there are good ones about (allegedly) …….. that is why I bought new from a main dealer

why not keep the gs800 (.. I believe them to be really good bikes, tho never ridden one …. paul cone seemed to handle his off road really well) .. and go for HP (not pcp) on a new trail bike … I did that with my crf250L and paying £88 per month, (but traded my crf250X in, as well, as a deposit, to be fair ….. )

Ihave found lately, that the TYRE you use makes a vast difference … smaller knobs do not hold the clay so much as the type you got (like eo9's or ck80's) which are great for the road and gravelly hard pack, but slip n slide in wet earth and grass, and clog up very quickly. … however , as a dual sport they got to be good?

some riders use a spare set of wheels .. one for road, one for trails … but too potchy for me?

what i make sure of ... especially when on own ... is i keep to the hard used trail ... as soon as it looks mildly boggy, have another think ?

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”