Not really a ride report as such

Where you've been and what you done
FatFreddy

Re: Not really a ride report as such

Post by FatFreddy »

garyboy wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:40 pm I can understand the `hassle` bit .. second hand bikes are rarely what you expect .. tho there are good ones about (allegedly) …….. that is why I bought new from a main dealer

why not keep the gs800 (.. I believe them to be really good bikes, tho never ridden one …. paul cone seemed to handle his off road really well) .. and go for HP (not pcp) on a new trail bike … I did that with my crf250L and paying £88 per month, (but traded my crf250X in, as well, as a deposit, to be fair ….. )

Ihave found lately, that the TYRE you use makes a vast difference … smaller knobs do not hold the clay so much as the type you got (like eo9's or ck80's) which are great for the road and gravelly hard pack, but slip n slide in wet earth and grass, and clog up very quickly. … however , as a dual sport they got to be good?

some riders use a spare set of wheels .. one for road, one for trails … but too potchy for me?

what i make sure of ... especially when on own ... is i keep to the hard used trail ... as soon as it looks mildly boggy, have another think ?
I like the idea, but I'm sort of semi retired now, leaving me more time to ride bikes but less money to spend on em.
The only way I could afford 2 bikes would be to trade this one in for 2 cheaper (= older) bikes.
This one might not be ideal but I know that a good rider can do more with a crap bike than a crap rider can do with a good bike
I currently fall into the latter bracket but who knows, with a bit more practice....?
990Duck

Re: Not really a ride report as such

Post by 990Duck »

Theres some nice easy lanes I found in the peaks, near Chatsworth, that would be right up your street.
After my bog snorkling episode with my old 650 Dakar I now carry a couple of racket straps. Use them like a poor mans winch.
I'm no expert but happy to show you round a few BOATS and UCR

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”