Snowdonia Discovery Route-- rode last week

Where you've been and what you done
UK-Rider

Snowdonia Discovery Route-- rode last week

Post by UK-Rider »

Here’s the full video of my two-day, 635-mile trip around Snowdonia National Park last Monday and Tuesday. I did the Adventure Bike Rider Magazine Snowdonia Discovery Route pretty much turn for turn, but split over two days. The original file (9 tracks) is at https://adventurebikerider.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=44342

This route introduced some rough single lane roads that were just phenomenal. I think Snowdonia is an excellent two-day trip— a great alternative when you don’t have six days for Scotland. In the video below, I focus on these small or unnamed roads—some were too short, but others were really amazing. (Even if I had to chase herds of sheep off the road.) Gravel on some roads and tight switchbacks might limit the fun for some bikes.

A big windstorm on the first day required some slower riding when even my 1090 R was getting pushed sideways. I lucked out at the hostel when the host let me park in the wind shadow of the building, and I got a private room when no others arrived to share. Hiking up the base of Tryfan was great that evening.

I felt lucky to do these roads on weekdays, even if I had a storm and rain. They were mostly empty, but I bet that changes on weekends. Sorry the video is nine minutes, but the route is intense.

Thanks to Adventure Bike Rider for posting this route and GPX file!

I also got in the Atlantic Highway to Lizard Point ride on Wednesday and Thursday, with off-roading on Salisbury Plain on the way home. I'll post video from those rides later this week. 1500 miles on the KTM over five days-- not bad.
Tink

Re: Snowdonia Discovery Route-- rode last week

Post by Tink »

That's a excellent film 👍🍻.... Looks stunning, definitely going to go there this year....
Thanks for sharing 😎👍
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

Great vid, thanks for sharing! Glad you enjoyed the route, I really enjoyed putting it together. In the next issue of the mag there's a coast to coast route from South Wales to Aberystwyth and it's an absolute stunner.
adventure steele

Post by adventure steele »

absolutely superb! Might have to do this on my RD250 when it's finished :) Cool video!
MudFing

Post by MudFing »

You rode right past our house! The roads round here are beautiful and that route seems to take in the best of them. There's some great offroad trails too for anyone wanting to do the same basic loop on a more dual sport orientated bike. That route must have like 50 pubs on it too - which is never a bad thing!
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Tal Y Lyn lake is on the 'mach loop' where the military jets fly down the valley.
http://www.mjaviation.co.uk/MachLoop.htm
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
UK-Rider

Post by UK-Rider »

Bryn wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:34 pm Great vid, thanks for sharing! Glad you enjoyed the route, I really enjoyed putting it together. In the next issue of the mag there's a coast to coast route from South Wales to Aberystwyth and it's an absolute stunner.
I think you did a great job with the route, even if there are some pretty small sections you included-- :). I've shared the links and video elsewhere, and many others are looking forward to enjoying it. I have also subscribed now because I hope to do more routes like this-- the Lake District route just posted via Facebook looked good, and I look forward to receiving the magazine.

South Wales to Aberystwyth? Sounds good to me.

Meanwhile, I have to decide if I want to buy luggage and ultralight camp gear for my Honda CRF 250L Rally. I'm tempted to do some TET overnights in France this summer...

Thanks again!

Jim
UK-Rider

Post by UK-Rider »

MudFing wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:15 pm You rode right past our house! The roads round here are beautiful and that route seems to take in the best of them. There's some great offroad trails too for anyone wanting to do the same basic loop on a more dual sport orientated bike. That route must have like 50 pubs on it too - which is never a bad thing!
I wish my house was on that route... :)

Visiting 50 pubs sounds like more of a challenge than the off-road. I think my next trip might be on my CRF 250L Ralley, and focus more on the off-road segments I think I can handle (moderate, not extreme).

Thanks!

Jim
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

UK-Rider wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:20 am
MudFing wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:15 pm You rode right past our house! The roads round here are beautiful and that route seems to take in the best of them. There's some great offroad trails too for anyone wanting to do the same basic loop on a more dual sport orientated bike. That route must have like 50 pubs on it too - which is never a bad thing!
I wish my house was on that route... :)

Visiting 50 pubs sounds like more of a challenge than the off-road. I think my next trip might be on my CRF 250L Ralley, and focus more on the off-road segments I think I can handle (moderate, not extreme).

Thanks!

Jim

Great vid, thanks.
Had a vague idea for a two day solo trip to Wales this summer. This seems like a fantastic choice of route. If I do it though, I’d like to do a couple of (easy) off road sections so may tap your local knowledge if that OK Mudfing?

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”