Salter fell to Ingleton falls

Where you've been and what you done
FatFreddy

Re: Salter fell to Ingleton falls

Post by FatFreddy »

Eventually we reached the start of the track to Ingleton. There’s a short easy stretch down to a river crossing. The water was a bit higher than expected and we stopped to check it out before crossing. Phil (TRF) decided, after a bit of wading, that it was do-able and duly set off across the river. All day he’d been making everything look really easy but this time he was clearly tested. All was well til he got to the middle and then he encountered some really big stones but managed to make it across.
A discussion on the best way across ensued and having decided on the best way to tackle it, I “took the plunge”.
D6573F4B-93F3-4EFD-BCFB-DF26289AC96F.jpeg
D6573F4B-93F3-4EFD-BCFB-DF26289AC96F.jpeg (188.83 KiB) Viewed 2644 times
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

As you can see I got about half way across and then got well and truly stuck on a rock. It was hard to tell but I think it was wedged under my bashplate and my wheel was just spinning uselessly.
I got off the bike and after much pushing and pulling managed to walk it across.
Once the bike was parked safely on the other side I removed my boots to empty all the water out and this little fella slipped out of my trouser leg!
403093BE-DE0C-4D89-9E81-122351E2C256.jpeg
403093BE-DE0C-4D89-9E81-122351E2C256.jpeg (236.83 KiB) Viewed 2644 times
The other Phil, very wisely decided to take the long, dry, way round and meet us in Ingleton.
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

The track to Ingleton would have been lovely were it not for the tourists (and Ice cream van!). I guess they just weren’t expecting to see a motorcycle so just gawped instead of getting out of the way. The Japanese tourists were the worst as they took an extra moment to take a picture before moving aside.
Once in Ingleton we met up with Phil again and after refuelling and eating a dodgy garage pasty we decided that as I was so wet and clearly Knackered, it was time to call it a day and head home.
I was wet, cold, knackered, bruised and grinning from ear to ear. What a fantastic day!
Many many thanks to Phil from Manchester TRF for guiding me and Phil on a very memorable day out in Yorkshire.
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

Ps, another pic I missed out earlier.
41A43DA0-69FA-4DE8-9509-9B6BB938FB38.jpeg
41A43DA0-69FA-4DE8-9509-9B6BB938FB38.jpeg (258.79 KiB) Viewed 2643 times
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

Not sure how I managed to post it upside down!
I have a couple of other pics and a couple of short videos that I couldn’t seem to post at all.
Not sure why.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Brilliant first ride report Freddy. I love the way you are writing it with a noob naivity about your feelings and thoughts about showing yourself up in public lol.... We've all been in your position with exactly the same thought processes, and good on you for giving it a good go and trying everything. And remember it will get easier the more you do, and you will get more excited helping other noobs along that are going through the same experiences as you did. Keep up the good work! :D
Cone

Post by Cone »

FatFreddy wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:34 pm I diligently remembered to turn off my ABS every time we set off except for this one time we turned into a lane that proved to be both rocky and fairly steep. My ABS kicked in and I just couldn’t stop!
I nearly got away with it but alas this turned out to be my second involuntary dismount of the day. The first had been relatively painless but this one hurt, my foot (trapped under the bike) and my pride (I had a witness to my ineptitude this time.)
Thankfully no pictures were taken :oops:
I don’t believe no one stopped to take a photo before helping you up. That’s just bad manners! :lol:
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

dibbs wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:35 pm Brilliant first ride report Freddy. I love the way you are writing it with a noob naivity about your feelings and thoughts about showing yourself up in public lol.... We've all been in your position with exactly the same thought processes, and good on you for giving it a good go and trying everything. And remember it will get easier the more you do, and you will get more excited helping other noobs along that are going through the same experiences as you did. Keep up the good work! :D
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

Cone wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:21 pm
FatFreddy wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:34 pm I diligently remembered to turn off my ABS every time we set off except for this one time we turned into a lane that proved to be both rocky and fairly steep. My ABS kicked in and I just couldn’t stop!
I nearly got away with it but alas this turned out to be my second involuntary dismount of the day. The first had been relatively painless but this one hurt, my foot (trapped under the bike) and my pride (I had a witness to my ineptitude this time.)
Thankfully no pictures were taken :oops:
I don’t believe no one stopped to take a photo before helping you up. That’s just bad manners! :lol:
Haha, I didn’t give him the chance. I found strength I didn’t know I had, wriggled out from under and had the bike back up before he could even dismount.
I imagine there’ll soon be a few pics of me on here arse over tit if I keep this skill level up :lol:
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

nice one freddy ...you will have a easier time if tou get rid of the front tkc80 any hint of owt muddy /slippy they are very poor the hardbased ones like salter they will be fine but anything slippy youll have a better time if you get rid of it for sure .....nice pictures
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”