Salisbury plain avoiding the mobs

Where you've been and what you done
zimtim

Salisbury plain avoiding the mobs

Post by zimtim »

Had a Sunday off woohoo as I haven't done any trails in a while what with mechanical problems, physical problems and one thing and another i just hadn't had the chance.
Arranged day off but low and behold it was the day of the Burbage Great escape. ahh well no point calling on others as they would all be to play with the TRF, and I am afraid that would of meant a very early start for me ( which if friggin impossible)

I didnt want anything to strenuous anyway just some gentle lanes to get back into so a route was picked
Image2018-12-31 by Tim Bartels, on Flickr

On hitting the Plain not a sole was around phew i had missed the bakery lot , but not for long round a bend there is a group of 20 odd riders heading straight for me, pull over to let the pass, ride leader asks if i am "lost"
Nah Mate just pulled in to let you all go
oh well cheers.

Get on past the racecourse and in distance can see another large group coming towards me
ImageIMG_20181230_115754078 by Tim Bartels, on Flickr
Again pull in, get phone out to take a few photos , just about to start taking some pics and some muppet bins his 701 literally at my feet. (misssed photo diving for cover) Said muppet then starts moaning at me because he was too busy trying to smile for the birdy and not watching where he was going.
help pick him up and get him on his way , this is when the carnage began just get camera out and another one bins it before i take a picture, then another one, then another one, anyway you get the picture ( i know I didn't), but all in 5 muppets and one muppetess binned their little trails bike. the poor lass bent her bars so i felt duly obliged to help her and her (dad) ben bars back
ImageIMG_20181230_120306224 by Tim Bartels, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20181230_120318716 by Tim Bartels, on Flickr

The coast was finally clear for me to head on down the hill of slippery doom, but before i go i think i had better let a group of 4x4 go i dont want one of them running me over just in case the big black bitch has been watching the carnage and decide to bin me in the middle of the track

No all good.
get to bottom and the 4x4 decide to have a wallow
ImageDSCN1585 by Tim Bartels, on Flickr

ImageDSCN1583 by Tim Bartels, on Flickr

ImageDSCN1582 by Tim Bartels, on Flickr

As happy as pigs in shit but fuck me don't they make a bloody mess

Time to head off do a few more trails up around Pewsey there is a nice track through the woods means a bit of road work but nice to get away fro the big groups and the 4x4s.

After lunch get back on to the plain, there are that many people out and about you cant even stop and have a piss in peace without some one coming over and seeing if i am alright, nice friendly biker thing to do but honestly I have been shaking my own dick since I was a bairn.

I did come across one 4x4 that was being rescued the roof was all caved in. no blood or gore so time to ride on

Back on the perimiter road i was going to take the inner road but that was looking very wet and i know too my cost there are some very big and deep puddles along there, besides i could see some more 4x4 coming towards me. now i came across this little memorial

ImageIMG_20181230_135741609_HDR by Tim Bartels, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20181230_135721758 by Tim Bartels, on Flickr

it is in German so if anyone knows anything about it please say, Just shows sometimes it is worth taking a different route.

ImageIMG_20181230_140401918 by Tim Bartels, on Flickr

yes this is a military traing area please DO NOT LEAVE THE CARRIAGE WAY

ImageIMG_20181230_140653739_HDR by Tim Bartels, on Flickr
Can cows read ????

Then it was over time to get home, just one last little detour, just to check that the byway pass Stone henge is open, had heard the rumours but need to be sure.

Well thats it for another year, lets hope next year is better, it sure as hell cant be any worse. time know to get ice in the whisky and on the knees. have a good one
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Salisbury plain avoiding the mobs

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Well, that's a pretty fair summary of why I prefer riding on my own, or with a few selected companions only.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Image20180802_114900 by gary boy, on Flickr

2/08/2018
I prefer Plain days like this ..

Image20180802_122046 by gary boy, on Flickr
Last edited by garyboy on Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Dansin

Post by Dansin »

I would think most folk prefer small groups. This year the (in your words) muppets on the bakery ride raised £9000 for local charities.
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Can't imagine that many meeting that many bikes !!!! You need to come over here for a play ;)
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Dansin wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:01 am I would think most folk prefer small groups. This year the (in your words) muppets on the bakery ride raised £9000 for local charities.
How much did the non Muppets raise???
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

Why do people have to be so negative and always putting other folks down... Some folks go out their way to be confrontational...

Great fun these bakery run ride outs and money raised for a good cause... Please dont put folks down you may need their help some day...

Happy new year there are lots of humans worse off than us on this day... Now im off out to see whats about and talk to total strangers i meet along the way..
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Nice one Tim, good to see you and the bike back out again. Missed you by a day as we were there on Saturday.
one-legged adventurer
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

byewayrider wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:20 am Why do people have to be so negative and always putting other folks down... Some folks go out their way to be confrontational...

Great fun these bakery run ride outs and money raised for a good cause... Please dont put folks down you may need their help some day...
actually I laffed all the way through this (ironic?) report .. as being a true biker .. I understand the frustration of cabin fever and the effect it has on the brain, assuming normal to start.

some of us do not start off normal, and just get worse the more we ride

sigh :lol:

or rather, don't ride

ps .. I think my pic of the plain in summer is ab fab … but none of the mizbaz on here will say so :mrgreen:

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”