three bikes for 7 grand three riders ......??

Where you've been and what you done
minkyhead

three bikes for 7 grand three riders ......??

Post by minkyhead »

do we overcomplicate it at all ....maby so :?:

anyway whatever your point of view cheap is deffo cheerful ......mesmoronic weekend the sun was spectacular loved it i had a hurty foot so did it with one boot and one welly .....ace time 8-) klx 250s is very hard to knock crf rally and a xt660r they are all hard to knock at the money for sure

whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
PHILinFRANCE

Re: three bikes for 7 grand three riders ......??

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Not only a great vid Steve but one of my all time favorite tunes
gspod

Post by gspod »

Nice vid.

I’ve always liked the look of the KLX250 - I know that the CRF250L has a smooth novice friendly engine, how does the KLX compare?
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Steve where's the sea stuff and presumably it's legal ;)
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

gspod wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:56 am Nice vid.

I’ve always liked the look of the KLX250 - I know that the CRF250L has a smooth novice friendly engine, how does the KLX compare?
the klx is good i kinda accedently bought it as it was very cheap ...rich guy motorhome ..surplus to requirements ..so i figured if it didnt suit id sell it at aprofit .....
its a better motor than the pre 17 crf and very similar to the 17 crf ...but it has to be revved a lot to get the bst out of it ...you of course have to rev any 250 but the klx thrives on em more than most .... its similar to the crfs it just wont stall is super novice freindly ..front suspension isnt a lot better and will need respringing unless your suiper light .... im hoping the yanks will crack the fi code and hope to upgrade it to a 351 ..maby it will happen .... but me being me like the 250 class a lot and its competant enough for most uk trails ...will hold a true 70mph on the motorway top out over 80 but it takes a long time to get up there ...but suprisingly good when it does as it peaks its power high in the rev range ...all me 250s /300s i just put me ear plugs in and rev em .....they dont seem to mind one bit
if you put me on the spot id say the klx is the better buy compared to a pre 17 crf out of the box ..as the rear suspension you can get away with where as the crfs front needs springing and the rear shock is err shocking and the klx has the stronger engine above 60mph if you can call em strong ..probably the most annoying thing is low clearance and low footpegs in ruts ..but its easily capable of going up some of the tougher uk trails with little bother ..them tiny first gears on the 250s are very good at being able to pick your way up rather than charge like abull they are easy to ride for sure

i keep aquiring smaller bikles and i really like em .... its just as well as for the kind of riding i do a enduro bike is pretty usless in terms of duel sporting ..... and total overkill for uk trails ..for me to own a 390 beta or 350 ktm id need somthing more challenging and i dont want it ..throw in the maintance and service intervals they cant do the job i want them to do different bikes with a different breif .. ...trails and backroads weekends like in the video they are very good for ..i like the klx 250 and id ride it pretty much anywhere with no worrys ..30 to 60mph on the backroads is easily doable ...big steep hills well; the odd one will push yopu back but for the most part i think its a really gusty little motor as long as you keep it singing ..... at 1700 quid plus forks at 200 bash plate guards and bits and peices ...its very cheap to own and run ..and personally i have loads of fun ...i cant knock any of me little bikes .. enjoy them a lot ..heres where i differ from most ..i set em up to be super comfy ...slidy screens seat pads yada yada .....but i actually enjoy riding em down the motorways ..id choose not to but if i need to bang a coiuple of hundred miles on one its better than a lot think and sticking around the high sixtys is pretty easy on the motor and a 100 mile rolls by in surprisingly short order ..on the flip side take me consevatory off the front and the seat pad off and it would be a different matter ....but set em up comfy and they will eat a chunk of slab better than a lot may think

if i had to pick the most exciting bike i own the ccm has it in spades .....if i had to choose just one bike for the mythical big trip it would be me crf300l ...now if i can get the klx to a 351 that would be close to what a lot of us would like ..the 351 is no bother ..well proven on the carbys just waiting of the yanks to sort the efi out hopfully not too long ..roumers abound 8-)

Imageaaa by minkyhead56, on Flickr
Last edited by minkyhead on Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

Mike54 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:34 pm Steve where's the sea stuff and presumably it's legal ;)
yes mike legal nice juicy legal red crosses on the o/s maps very few beach trails available ....askham and the mile crossing is walney island ..need to get the tide times or get lucky ... :mrgreen:
gspod

Post by gspod »

Thanks for that great review Minkyhead.

I’ve got a WR250R, vaguely thinking about a 250 trail bike for my wife sometime in the future.
The WRR is a bit tall and the engine/clutch a little snatchy.
She’s ridden a pre 17 CRFL and liked it, so have I and found the engine nice and smooth. She won’t be doing anything technical, mostly dry, stoney tracks such as the Aragon HISS.

We also plan to do some longer trips, the CRFL’s reliability is well proved - although I find it strange that everyone calls it a cheap, budget bike when people like Steph Jeavons has done 50K miles around the world, on a stock bike, with no problems.

Sorry - off topic :?
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

Crf is perfect for that kind of stuff the suspension can be easily improved. A YSS rear shock is less than 300 and they are good. Just to bear in mind if you do the suspension the little crf starts to get surprisingly tall with much less rider sag to help. I'm 6.1 and can just flat foot. It will be south of 920ml. The klx is significantly lower and noticably lighter. No big deal for a big unit like me ..but if height is a factor. The crf will grow a lot if you upgrade. The klx is smaller for sure
gspod

Post by gspod »

Thanks for the info

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”