"Left to Live" - A 23-Day Motorcycle Adventure Around UK and Ireland...

Where you've been and what you done
TravisGill

"Left to Live" - A 23-Day Motorcycle Adventure Around UK and Ireland...

Post by TravisGill »

Background story:
We are two Americans, in our mid-forties, empty-nesters, who are currently living and working in Germany. We both love to travel and when an opportunity came up last year to move here, we jumped on it.

Like most of you all, we still work. Although Europeans do have more vacation time, it is still difficult to break free and ride motorcycles for months on end. Someday, we will do this - I promise you! Until then, breaking free for three weeks will have to do.

We've planned this trip for some time. In fact, it has been in the light stages of planning since almost immediately after we arrived in Germany from last years Iceland trip (CHECK IT OUT HERE). Trying to fit all of the countries of the UK and Ireland into a 23-day vacation, including scheduling most of the ferries, did take some planning, but in the end it was worth it.

The "Left to Live" name of our journey was picked for two reasons:
1. The most obvious... This will be our first time we've ever riding on the LEFT side of the roadways. "Stay LEFT if you want TO LIVE!" We even went so far as to create a windscreen mounted, vinyl sticker to remind us of this.
2. We've only got a finite amount of time in this life. We have both decided that we would like to have memories instead of dreams and we both dream of exploring this tiny, blue dot we call Earth.

...So here goes! Here is a small preview from our 23-day motorcycle adventure around UK and Ireland:

Our planned route. The red and orange colors signify a day of travel. Normally, I don't like planning this much, but fitting so many miles (er, I mean km, no wait, I mean miles) into a three week trip requires planning.

The Union Jack

Castles

Cities

Sculptures

Ocean views

Architecture

UNESCO World Heritage sites

It took some planning but we even got to experience riding on the world famous TT Mountain Course on the Isle of Man.

Our route kept us close to the oceans and bays which offered limitless views to some of the best scenery in Europe.

We rode most days until right before sunset.

Places I never imaged I would travel as a kid.

Unique sculptures and artwork along the way.

Some incredible scenery to ride through! Even in England, with it's population density of 400 people per square km, we found wide open roads.

Landmarks. We tried to see as many landmarks or sites as we reasonably could while still riding 200-300 km per day.

There are nearly 23 million sheep in the UK. You're going to see some sheep on this trip.

Many churches and grave-sights all over UK and Ireland. This was taken at a cemetery near the TT Grandstand at Isle of Man.

Good eats! Both Chantil and I love Fish-n-Chips! It turns out we are in the right country for this!!

Our two mules - Both BMW G650GSs. The red one is mine and is named "Apache", and the white one is named (White) "Chocolate"

I printed stickers of the flags of countries (or crown dependencies) that we planned to visit. After we arrive, I place them on my mule's windscreen.

Just a "few" of the waypoints that we would like to see on our adventure...
Last edited by TravisGill on Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travis & Chantil
'11 G650GS and '12 G650GS Sertao
YouTube Channel
Teflon Jnr

Re: "Left to Live" - A 23-Day Motorcycle Adventure Around UK and Ireland...

Post by Teflon Jnr »

Goos luck on your adventure and if your in Manchester give me a holla
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

🇩🇪 🇧🇪 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇮🇲 🇱🇺
crofty

Post by crofty »

I followed and enjoyed your Iceland trip and now following this one.
Lots of places I recognize in your stunning pictures.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Loved the Iceland photos, so looking forward to this.

I lived in the UK for 41 years and I haven't seen even half these places. I really should have explored the old country a bit more.
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Smashing ...................i'm in
TravisGill

Post by TravisGill »

Day 1 - Friday, Aug 24th:

Our route for the day of 300km. Leaving Germany 🇩🇪, through Belgium 🇧🇪, and ending the evening in France 🇫🇷. Three countries and three languages of German, Dutch, and French.

We spent the last few weeks making sure all the maintenance was done on each of our mules. I estimate that my mule would need a rear tire and rear brake pads after this trip, however everything else was “good to go”! We had originally planned to leave on Saturday, but there was nothing keeping us from getting an early start on our vacation. We left our home in Germany at 2 PM and made decent time along the E42 and A25 through Belgium and France.

A brightly colored water tower between Villeneuve d'Ascq and Chéreng, France provided a short diversion from freeway riding.

This fish is reminding us not to waste water!

Near the tower was this unique apartment hotel with modern features...

..including colored glass windows that complement the green vines clinging to the side of the concrete and brick walls.

Just down the road was this abandoned parking garage.

Without the unique organic metalwork, it would be just another parking garage.

There was a section of the A25 that was backed up. We weren’t sure if lane-splitting was legal in France, so we waited until we saw a group of four riders on BMW 1200GSs doing it. Monkey see – monkey do! We followed them for some of the most relaxing lane splitting I’ve ever done. The French drivers did a great job of leaving wide open spaces between lanes. Yeah France!

Once we reached Dunkirk, I saw this unique colored apartment high-rise and decided to stop and take some pictures.

The place looked a bit run down but the multi-colored exterior sure made it interesting.

We rode through Dunkirk and stopped for a little while at the old part of town...

...where we snapped some photos of the Beffroi de Dunkerque...

...and the Saint-Éloi Church across the street.

Chantil programming the GPSr which will guide us to Camping Zuydcoote Beach, our campsite for the evening.

Rain😞. After setting up camp, the rain rolled in. It rained all night but fortunately let up in the early morning.

Tomorrow will be much more exciting as we learn about the “Miracle of Dunkirk” at the Operation Dynamo Museum and then make our into England via the Channel Tunnel, or what Europeans have nicknamed the “Chunnel”…
Travis & Chantil
YouTube Channel
TravisGill

Post by TravisGill »

Teflon Jnr wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:34 pm Goos luck on your adventure and if your in Manchester give me a holla
So nice of you to offer! Unfortunately, we are already back home. Perhaps next time if we swing up that way.
crofty wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:47 pm I followed and enjoyed your Iceland trip and now following this one. Lots of places I recognize in your stunning pictures.
Thanks! Hope some of the pictures and comments spark great memories.
daveuprite wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:29 am Loved the Iceland photos, so looking forward to this. I lived in the UK for 41 years and I haven't seen even half these places. I really should have explored the old country a bit more.
Thanks for the comment! Your comment made me feel a bit better about not feeling like we saw enough during our short stay.
PHILinFRANCE wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:42 am Smashing ...................i'm in
Yeah! Let's do this!!
Travis & Chantil
YouTube Channel
Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

Excellent ,thank you for posting.
Will enjoy seeing places ive yet to visit in my own country
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Brilliant, and will be following this adventure just like I did the Iceland adventure. :D
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

The Singing Ringing Tree is near Burnley 6 miles from my house.
There's another Panopticon at Haslingden, The Halo, about 10 miles away.

https://www.visitlancashire.com/things- ... con-p96000

And another one about 15 miles north of Burnley, The Atom -

https://www.visitlancashire.com/things- ... con-p66570
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”