"Left to Live" - A 23-Day Motorcycle Adventure Around UK and Ireland...

Where you've been and what you done
TravisGill

Re: "Left to Live" - A 23-Day Motorcycle Adventure Around UK and Ireland...

Post by TravisGill »

Boggs wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:38 pm Looks like your maybe going to get a few showers tomorrow according to the forecast,i rode the WAW in May of this year and can highly recommend the R559 coastal road on the Dingle peninsula,some really fantastic views at "Cross At Slea Head" loving the updates. 8-)
Thanks for the advice. I would have loved to explore more peninsulas but we had to pass up some places in order to stay on our timeline. Cheers!
Travis & Chantil
'11 G650GS and '12 G650GS Sertao
YouTube Channel
gspod

Post by gspod »

Great stuff- keep it up
bunker

Post by bunker »

This is really great - thanks for sharing! :D
Triumph Tiger 885
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Really like your updates, Travis...

If you ever doubt that anyone is reading them, don't worry - we are. They are some of the best quality photos we've seen in ages, only matched by some guy who went to Iceland a little while back...

It's particularly nice to get the perspective of an American (who are not exactly well known for being widely traveled), on history and culture that we have perhaps got over familiar with. You seem to spot things that we maybe take for granted. It's like being reminded how great some of the scenery and architecture of the British Isles really is.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Do you mind us asking what camera(s) you use?
TravisGill

Post by TravisGill »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:09 pm Do you mind us asking what camera(s) you use?
I won't carry a large camera and lenses. If it's not easily assessable, I just won’t bother using it. So I use a Canon G7 X Mark II (inside a small camera case Velcroed to my tank bag), a GoPro Hero Session (mounted on my chin or left side of the mule), and a DJI Mavic Pro (stored in a pannier). I don't use the drone as much because it's a pain to remove and store each time.

*Image from www.reviewed.com

Previous to this trip, all my photos were taken with an iPhone 6. I do like the extra resolution, sharpness, and zoom lens of my G7 X.
Travis & Chantil
YouTube Channel
TravisGill

Post by TravisGill »

gspod wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:36 pm Great stuff- keep it up
bunker wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:23 pm This is really great - thanks for sharing! :D
daveuprite wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:36 pm Really like your updates, Travis.
Thank you all so much for the positive comments! Much appreciated. Currently working on Day 8 of 23 and it's a good one!...
Travis & Chantil
YouTube Channel
TravisGill

Post by TravisGill »

daveuprite wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:36 pm If you ever doubt that anyone is reading them, don't worry - we are. They are some of the best quality photos we've seen in ages, only matched by some guy who went to Iceland a little while back...

It's particularly nice to get the perspective of an American (who are not exactly well known for being widely traveled), on history and culture that we have perhaps got over familiar with. You seem to spot things that we maybe take for granted. It's like being reminded how great some of the scenery and architecture of the British Isles really is.
Thank you for taking the time to share your appreciation and thoughts. I'll have to find this "guy who went to Iceland" and have a drink with him.

I've been thinking about why Americans are not widely traveled... I do feel many Americans travel (as much as their employer will let them) but not internationally. I've often heard "Why do I need to travel? I have everything here in the United States." This makes some sense when you consider how big the US is:

Thanks for the comment "You seem to spot things that we maybe take for granted." Often seeing the world through fresh eyes can be interesting. Glad you're enjoying the report. Cheers!
Travis & Chantil
YouTube Channel
TravisGill

Post by TravisGill »

Day 8 - Fri, 31 Aug:

Only 150km of riding because today was mostly about getting to and exploring Skellig Island.

We woke up early so that we would make it to Portmagee with enough time to get some breakfast in town before we boarded the boat to Skellig Island.

Starting my morning off right with a walk along the beach. A bit cloudy but at least no rain!

The drive along the Atlantic Ocean did not disappoint with views like this...

…and this…

...and this.

On the way to Portmagee we did a quick stop in Waterville to take a picture with Charlie Chaplin.

Waterville was a favorite vacationing spot for Charlie Chaplain.

Chilling with Charlie!

Once we reached Portmagee, we found that the boat was delayed due to weather on the Island. The captain seemed confident that the trip would still happen; we just had to wait a bit longer. Instead of waiting at the nearby café we decided to explore town and then ride to see the Telegraph Field on Valentia Island and the Kerry Cliffs.

We found Portmagee to be a small but very charming tourist town.

This stray dog seemed to enjoy the attention of tourists like us.

Small fishing boats docked in Portmagee.

Decorated walls with a seaside nautical flare.

Apparently Barbie has a vacation home here. Who else would paint their house this color?

(Image
Actually, truth is, I find pink to be a pleasant color. I just wouldn’t paint my house that color…

…or my mule. Here he is, waiting patiently, while we explore Telegraph Field on Valentia Island.

The plaque marks the first successful transatlantic telegraph transmission. The laying of the cable under the ocean was completed on August 5, 1858.

This is the size of the cable used – about 6” diameter. Four ships—two from Britain and two from the United States, successfully installed the cable without it breaking halfway, allowing messages to be sent from Valentia Harbor in Ireland to Trinity Bay in Newfoundland.

Views from Valentia Island. It was clearing up enough that you could make out the Skellig Islands on the Horizon.

The narrow roads on Valentia Island are barely wide enough for two motorcycles.

Views from the nearby Kerry Cliffs was stunning - but really, really, windy. Based on the level of winds I knew the trip out to Skellig would be a bit rough.

Don’t fall off the cliff!

A last view of Kerry Cliffs before we return to the marina…

…for boarding the boat to Skellig Island! We are more than excited!! I just hope the weather is good enough to safely unload us at the island…
Travis & Chantil
YouTube Channel
TravisGill

Post by TravisGill »

Day 8 - Fri, 31 Aug - The Skellig Islands:

Skellig Michael Island is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. So what! What makes it so special compared to the other 131 heritage sites in Western Europe? Star Wars!! That’s what! Skellig Michael was a filming location for Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

It can be difficult to get a landing onto this island located 11.6 kilometres (7.2 mi) off the isolated coast of Ireland. The island is only assessable during the summer months, spots fill up quickly, and weather often forces boats to cancel landings. Getting here takes a bit of planning and a lot of luck. For us we had both!

During the movie Star Wars: The Force Awakens, I was mesmerized by this coastal island where Luke Skywalker was believed to be in hiding. Once I realized it was a place that you could actually reach it became a bucket-list destination. *Picture from Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

We were all given foul-weather gear. Based on the high winds, I expected that we would need them in our open-top fishing boat.

About 5 to 7 other boats, similar sized, joined us on the ride out to the island.

Getting to the island took a little longer than an hour. Some of the folks on our boat couldn’t wait to be on solid ground.

It was rather foggy, so we could not see the upper part of the island.

A helicopter pad for emergencies. Somehow I doubt the Millennium Falcon could land there!

A UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1996.

Does this rock look familiar?

Perhaps this may jog your memory? *Picture from Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

The rock stairway leading up to the Monastery area was built by monks during the 8th century.

Chantil standing in the archway that opens to the monastery area at 550 ft above sea level.

An idea of the level of detail that the monks used in the building of the stairways and dome enclosures.

A panorama of the small monastery area where the monks lived and worked.

For some this was a spiritual experience; this gentleman meditated in the same spot that monks would have done the same thing hundreds of years before.

Gravestones mark the passing of fellow monks from their Earthly lives.

The dwellings are built with rocks layered to cause the water runs outside. To say they were dry inside would be an overstatement, but they were dryer.

Visitors actively listen to the guide as she explains what life would have been like for the monks among the challenging terrain. Thankfully, she kept it informative and respected the lives of the monks and didn’t even mention the word “Star Wars” once.

The myriad of grey lichen on the rock face creates natures version of modern art.

Walking back down to “Christ’s Saddle”. This was near the area where Ray handing Luke his lightsaber in the movie.

It’s quite amazing that a group of monks lived in this harsh and desolate environment.

Standing on the main walkway up to “Christ’s Saddle”. Another walkway continued upwards from the saddle area to the monastic site.

Returning to the “Wailing Woman” rock. The fog lifted enough to see Little Skellig in the distance.

Seabirds of various types live on this and nearby islands.

We never did see a Thala-siren, or get to taste their unique green milk. Apparently they migrate to the Faroe Islands during the summer :mrgreen: *Picture from Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

The departing view of Skellig Island was better than when we arrived since most of the fog was cleared.

Little Skellig is not populated by humans so a quick boat ride beneath the rocky cliffs gave us a magnificent view of...

...the millions of birds roosting and flying around the island. It was awe inspiring to see so many birds squawking and flying around.

Each of those tiny white dots is a bird. Millions of them. Learn more about the various types: HERE

The last view of the Skellig Islands as we say “goodbye”.

Heading back to Portmagee.

Captain Dave even let me drive his boat back into port until just before we had to dock.

Thanks to Derek (left) and Capt Dave (middle) for a wonderful day. Thanks to www.skelligsrock.com for the memory and destination of a lifetime!
Travis & Chantil
YouTube Channel

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”