"Left to Live" - A 23-Day Motorcycle Adventure Around UK and Ireland...

Where you've been and what you done
vRSG60

Re: "Left to Live" - A 23-Day Motorcycle Adventure Around UK and Ireland...

Post by vRSG60 »

TravisGill wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:40 pm
We waved, did you see us?
If you rode the A682 to Gisburn from Barrowford then you did ride past my house. :D
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
r6eck

Post by r6eck »

Fantastic trip and write up, You have seen some fantastic places,but also missed so much.
Hopefully the midge don't like you
TravisGill

Re:

Post by TravisGill »

r6eck wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:31 pmFantastic trip and write up. You have seen some fantastic places, but also missed so much. Hopefully the midge don't like you.
For sure on both accounts. Covering so much ground in three weeks, while still seeing a bit of the countries, was a challenge. As for the midges, they were really only bad on our first night of camping.
Travis & Chantil
'11 G650GS and '12 G650GS Sertao
YouTube Channel
TravisGill

Post by TravisGill »

Day 17 - Sun, 09 Sep:

300km of riding around the Isle of Skye today. Sites included Eilean Donan, Kilt Rock at Mealt Falls Viewpoint, and Duntulm Castle.

Already shaping up to be a wet morning and day. Currently, it’s only a drizzle.

We arrived at Eilean Donan before it was opened so unless we storm the castle, this is a close as were getting today.

Eilean Donan, which means simply "Island of Donnán" was founded in the thirteenth century and became a stronghold of the Clan Mackenzie and their allies the Clan Macrae.

Fortunately, the sun started to pear thorough the clouds just as we were about to move on. An attractive castle especially with the arched bridge that was added in early 1900s to give easier access to the island

German motorcycles and Scottish castles!

On the road to Isle of Skye I spotted this sculpture in a yard of a small house. I think it caught my eye because it’s something my dad would have liked. I can hear him laughing “It’s cool, huh?” Mum tattoo and all.

Some other hearty motorcyclists on a Sunday morning ride. I’m still trying to figure out the wave thing with the left-sided roads. Many bikers just seem to kick out their right foot instead of using their hands.

Before long we were crossing the only bridge access to Isle of Skye via the aptly named Skye bridge. It was completed in 1995 allowing much easier access across the Loch Alsh.

Herds of cows and fleets of cars on a narrow road make for some interesting confrontations.

The Kilt Rock and Mealt Falls Viewpoint offered some great views of the Inner Seas.

The rocks and sea from the steep cliffs at Mealt Falls Viewpoint.

Mealt Falls (foreground) and Kilt Rock (background).

Looking south towards the Brother’s Point.

An old truck makes for a great mobile business selling afternoon tea and sandwiches.

Duntulm Castle Ruins, located on beautiful hilly cliff, was not accessible to the public.

The sheep roam pretty much anywhere here on the island, leaving their little round balls of poop wherever they go. It’s normally not an issue, unless it’s raining. It’s been raining almost all day.

It would have been a great place to fly the drone, but it was raining and blowing about 30 knots.

However, the rain seemed to let up just as we arrived to capture some beautiful views.

We didn’t go inside the Dunvegan Castle & Gardens but we did enjoy a nice ride on the roads to the north of the castle.

The Ferry Inn looks like a nice place to stay.

There were a few pockets of blue skies throughout the day.

Typical white cottage style homes and hills of green of the Isle of Skye.

By 3 PM, the rains returned and was heavy enough that it starting to seep through my gloves, and pants. My pants have a “waterproof” liner that just wasn’t making the grade. If anyone has rain gear that manages to keep you dry for an entire day of riding please let me know - I'll buy it!

An hour later, I just wanted to stop and dry out anywhere, so we stopped for the evening at a hostel called Saucy Mary’s. The hostel’s pizza restaurant was not very good. Wait, what?! Is there such a thing as “not very good” pizza? Yes, we found it at Saucy Mary's Pub. Pizza – 1.5 stars. On a positive note, the hostel had a private bunk room for us over the Scottish holiday and a friendly reception guy. He even dried a load of wet riding gear for us! Service – 5 stars.

The hostel had a few clocks showing different times. I got a laugh out of Trump time.

It’s funny how folks, nearly half a world away, care about an American president. A week ago, all the news was about Trump coming to Ireland. I don’t understand this fascination with politicians, movie stars, and sports figures.

The forecast is calling for solid rain the next four days, so we are rethinking our plans of riding the Scottish North Coast 500. The weather looks better to the east. We’ll see...
Travis & Chantil
YouTube Channel
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

My Halvorssons kit has held up very well for 7 years. No goretex or similar. But I do wash it
about every 6 months using Nikwax Tech Wash and waterproofing. Never let me down and
onlt once been wet through around the shoulders, because I hadn't washed it for more than
my regular 6 month period. Otherwise can't fault it.
TravisGill

Post by TravisGill »

Day 18 - Mon, 10 Sep:

200 km of riding today as we make our way east to the promise of better weather. Highlights include Urquhart Castle, Loch Ness Centre & Exhibition, and the city of Elgin.

We abandoned our plans to see the Northern Highlands of Scotland because of the poor weather forecast over the next five days. This was a decision we did not make lightly; I knew we would be missing out on some of the best scenery of our entire three-week trip.
Although I was a bit bummed, there was also a concession plan to see a place I’ve wanted to visit ever since my childhood back in the USA. A mysterious place called Loch Ness and the dinosaur creature that lived within its depths – The elusive Loch Ness Monster!
The morning was already calling for rain. I hate loading my mule in the rain - Even more than actually riding in the rain. Fortunately, the rain stopped long enough for us to pack the mules. Unfortunately, as soon as we clicked our shift lever into first gear, the rain started once again and didn’t let up until late in the morning.

Leaving Isle of Skye to head east where better weather is promised by the weather guessers.

Curse you gray clouds with your cold and joy crushing rain!

Side rant: Our gear keeps us pretty dry until it rains hard or rains for more than a few hours. My “waterproof” boots start taking on water from all the spray that is kicked up the pavement and the front tire. Once the waterproof liner of my pants is saturated, it too starts leaking. Fortunately, we have heated jackets, gloves, and handlebar grips. Without the heated gear we would be downright miserable.

There was one particular section of the narrow, curved road where we had to follow a large RV. I imagined they were inside wearing flannel pajamas, listening to relaxing jazz, the passenger feeding cheese slices and grapes to the driver, all while they drove through rain that was isolated from them in their temperature controlled, cocooned, glass and steel, wheeled RV. Yes, I was admittedly jealous of the RVers. Riding for extended periods in moderate to heavy rain is no joy.
Moving on… First stop of the day was to Urquhart Castle located on the shores of Loch Ness. What, another castle? It turns out Scotland has over 115 castles! Yes, that’s A LOT of castles! No, we didn’t see them all.

Raining all morning was a bit of a bummer but not bad enough that our spirits couldn’t be lifted with a fresh baked raspberry and white chocolate muffin.

The visitors center at Urquhart Castle had this life-size statue of a deer.

The present ruins date from the 13th to the 16th centuries, though it was built on the site of an early medieval fortification.

Urquhart played a role in the Wars of Scottish Independence in the 14th century. It was subsequently held as a royal castle.

Lighting is used to show where the large fire pit was used for the kitchen area of the castle.

The Loch Ness. A bit bummed that we didn’t see even one monster!

The Scottish flag waves proudly overhead the castle ruins.

The castle was abandoned by the middle of the 17th century.

A ferry takes passengers to other piers located around the Lock Ness. Still no Nessie sightings!

If someone has what you want, and they think they can get it, then conflict will follow. The MacDonalds Clan raided the castle numerous times over a two-hundred-year period. Apparently, they also had a very accurate accountant who kept great records like there.

Moss covered tree near the banks of the Loch Ness.

The visitors center has a small museum showing a typical wooden shield covered in leather and studs from the Wars of Scottish Independence.

What the castle may have looked like during it most fortified and productive times.

Just a short ride from Urquhart Castle to the Loch Ness Centre & Exhibition…

Along the road, Chantil heard a sudden pop sound and then something metallic falling and skipping along the pavement. We pulled over and I noticed she was missing the chain tension adjustment plate that fits on the back of the swingarm. The adjusting bolt ended up snapping in half. Unfortunately, the aluminum support plate, an $18 part, was missing.

We rode back and ended up finding the plate on the side of the road. Lucky us! Replacing a standard sized bolt will be much easier than finding a replacement for the BMW manufactured plate. Also, the broken part is only important for adjusting the chain; something we adjusted just a few days ago. If we’re lucky, we won’t have to mess with the adjustment for the rest of the trip.

Onward to Loch Ness Centre & Exhibition…

Our BMW G650GS mules parked next to BMW R1200GS clydesdales. Yikes they look heavy! I’ve never ridden on such a behemoth, but I hear they are like hippos in the water – heavy on the eyes but actually quite graceful once on the move.

The Loch Ness Centre & Exhibition is a great looking building...

...with stone headed statues!

The Loch Ness Centre & Exhibition takes you on a journey of discovery and ultimately lets you determine, for yourself, if the Loch Ness Monsters exists.

A Scottish design of the Loch Ness Monster.

This famous picture, known as the “Surgeon’s Photograph” inspired thousands of people to flock to Loch Ness. It was later determined to be a hoax.

A few, high profile, studies were done in the 1970s and 80s but nothing conclusive was found.

Many of the sightings, although real to the observes, were probably just water and wind effecting sticks, logs, animals or birds.

Does the Loch Ness Monster exist?...

...It clearly does!! Here is a plastic one…

…and an isle of stuffed ones! Yea, I’d say Nessie lives; even if he’s manufactured in China.

We continued along our planned route and made good time along the A96.

This was found on the side of a petrol (gas) station! Seriously, is gas theft that much of a problem that you need four cameras?

We made it to Elgin! This is where my mother-in-law served part of her mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Riding through the streets of Elgin. Chantil is right behind me in the mirror!

German bikes next to a British jet. We’ve come a long way since the 1950s!

The Blackburn Buccaneer was used in the 60’s and 70’s as a carrier-based attack aircraft. Fly Navy!

These old jets have a history to tell, I’m sure.

We finished the day at the, nearby and nearly abandoned, Silver Sands Camping & Caravan Holidays. Tomorrow we continue our clockwise trip around Scotland…
Travis & Chantil
YouTube Channel
TravisGill

Post by TravisGill »

qcnr wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:29 am My Halvorssons kit has held up very well for 7 years. No goretex or similar. But I do wash it
about every 6 months using Nikwax Tech Wash and waterproofing. Never let me down and
onlt once been wet through around the shoulders, because I hadn't washed it for more than
my regular 6 month period. Otherwise can't fault it.
Thanks for the tips and advice on weather proofing.
Travis & Chantil
YouTube Channel
TravisGill

Post by TravisGill »

There will be a break in the ride report until after Christmas. Happy holidays to you all!
Travis & Chantil
YouTube Channel
Boggs

Post by Boggs »

Happy xmas matey,ride safe.

8-)
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

Cracking write up & excellent picture taking skills :D - thanks for sharing

You passed my door on your visit to Elgin :mrgreen:

And the Buccaneer you inspected is an ex RAF S2B version - and that one is one of many I worked on whilst they were flying from Lossiemouth.

They saw active service most recently in the 1st Gulf conflict, lasing targets so that the "new" Tornado bombers cold unleash accurate hell, as well as loosing bombs of their own onto targets - scratch one Mainstay AEW aircraft.
They also provided a "show of force" over Lebanon many, many years ago, flying from Cyprus at wave height there and back.
Superb aircraft, IMHO.

Still got the key to the cockpit canopy of one of the old jets on my key chain.

Happy festive season - looking forward to your next installement :D

Steve T

8-)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”