Re: EDC 2018 Maroc Africa, Ride Report.

Post by chubbyhooker »

DA082D8E-4469-4618-A47B-88445429F1A8.jpeg
DA082D8E-4469-4618-A47B-88445429F1A8.jpeg (192.96 KiB) Viewed 3571 times
Then there’s Keith’s fishing tales........😜
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

We leave Ramlia and if anyone needs water you can get it here.

Will hit a couple of kms of fesh-fesh and a dried up river bed with a shirt climb up out of same. This can be tedious ...great!!!!! Of course the locals zip about the place on their light bikes.

After any drops compose and drink and carry on

My split link pings so I stop and replace......we'll wild camp just after the fesh-fesh.

When following the route........you'll come to a barrier of small dunes blocking the route as it were..........when you come to a metal sign just before, look and hang left.......you'll see hard pack a short distance away......go for that.....the trail will come around and join the route after the barrier of dunes......your GPS will not tell you that.....these dunes will all be tedious.

Repeat ....don't ride them by blindly following any other GPS route that you might have plotted at home. I know to go left.

Head for the metal sign at

N 30° 40.620'
W 004° 26.954'

:D

The darker beige colour in the image is hard pack that scouts the edge of the dunes....

We wild camp at the edge fo the dunes and with the following images you can see what you'll have to ride over if you take the route ' 712' that you can see.

Food is made and we chat until we bed down relaxed and tired.

Wild Camp at

N 30° 40.199'
W 004° 27.734'

Hard pack

Dunes

Dunes if you keep on the 712 and don't take the route I advise. It's your call.

What a great days riding!!!!!!!!!

Will It Buff Out?
Mactavish

Post by Mactavish »

Hi Keith , tried uploading when the twister went through when we were parked up with no luck . Will try and get one the kids to do it !
I think it loaded on to Imgur .
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Bertin called in the other day.....thank you so much for your kind gift, really not necessary, but again, a big thank you.

PS I await more pics.

:)

Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Download route here....

https://www.wikiloc.com/outdoor-trails/ ... m-30652404

Next morning we break camp and we'll head on to Tafraoute at Lac Maider. Lac Maider is the white coloured area to the LHS in the above pic. We can pick up water and fuel in the village.....and drink tea.

The first section will be across some fesh-fesh and soft going. I fall off here every year. This is a mix of crusty white sand and soft sand. Just when you think you're going just fine there'll be a metre of soft sand and boing, the front will bed in. Try to ride from crust to crust.

Silt from now on.....when approaching all of this ride over towards the RHS as far as you can, where the cliff parallels you. If you keep left the silt will be deeper and more annoying.

A simple check of the terrain will show more greenery on the LHS......the RHS is on more of a slope......on the LHS that's where there will have been water collecting after rains, along with any silt washed down from the slopes on the RHS.....therefore silt will be deeper in the LHS. Again, no problem for the 4x4's to take the LHS but for you on a moto it will be more tiring to go there.

Hard pack ends more or less at this sign at

N 30° 40.811'
W 004° 34.009'

After the hard pack and just before you leave the soft going for good, the single and only route will have a few short sections of shallow silt to remind you of how annoying that mornings ride has been.

After a short distance you'll see this sign which means you're very close to Lac Maider and therefore Tafraoute. We'll stop at an auberge for a break.

Take the hard pack route to the left of this sign where you can see the small rock piles in the picture......after I advise what route to ride one rider rides off towards the bushes that can be seen in the RHS of the picture into the ever present soft silt going there and where he gets bogged down.....I didn't even get a chance to take my camera out!! Anyway....he gets going and rides over to us the hard pack. :)

Again, your GPS will route you there and not know the hard pack route.

We ride a few minutes and get to the auberge and where we can get fuel to ride on to Zagora by piste.

The auberge is here.....

After getting fuel and water ....it's noticed that one of the CRF's has too much play in the rear wheel bearings and the teeth on the alloy rear sprocket are getting too well worn ( Page One of Tip and Tricks of the Invite )

The other CRF rider has bearings and these could be swapped out.?

But, taking time and distance now into consideration, along with the condition of the piste remaining......and the state of the sprockets, but also that if the other CRF has a wheel bearing failure with none in reserve.....which would only happen when all of this ties together like this!!!

The BMW subframe scenario is also taken in to account.

This is also not taking in to account any other dopey stuff that would compound today.

I reluctantly decide we'd best get to Zagora by tarmac. This way as we limp along there's more chance of an easy tow with another bike or catching a local to ask for a local breakdown dude.

If we tempt a breakdown we'll all loose our repair day in Zagora by the time we get out. Experience shows to go with ones gut feeling when out here and not attempt anything goofy just for the sake of it. Maroc will bite you!
Last edited by WIBO on Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Download route here........

https://www.wikiloc.com/outdoor-trails/ ... m-30656861

The road is of good condition with the odd sand drift covering it here and there. We'll be able to get fuel along this 265km route and a meal at the same time whilst there.

The bigger bikes scoot on off ahead to the Zagora. This route is scenic in itself especially about an hour from Zagora.

Upon entering the hotel the BMW is dropped on loose stones....of course before helping a picture is taken.

Hotel Kasbah Sirocco is here.......

N 30° 19.202'
W 005° 49.672'

Abdul appears from Garage Sahara and arrangements are made to try and source a sprocket and to get the BMW frame alloy welded the next day.

We check in and and drink beer.

Last edited by WIBO on Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

The next day the CRF wheel is pulled and bearings sought along with a rear sprocket........

Off they go...

The BMW is tended to also.....a bolt is needed for the bottom pannier support and and a line of welding as it had a crack in it too. Again Maroc will indeed find any weakness

Whilst waiting around during the rest day to effect repairs everyone explores or lazes about at the hotel.

Last edited by WIBO on Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Steve and I take a ride from the garage to the radio mast to take a few snaps and to kill time. This is a stone single vehicle ride and is quite difficult. The faster you ride it the easier it is to climb as it were. There are sheer drop offs and you'll need to concentrate.

Route to download here.....

https://www.wikiloc.com/outdoor-trails/ ... t-30682759

Start of piste is here....

N 30° 19.739'
W 005° 48.780'

At the summit...

Will It Buff Out?
Monster

Post by Monster »

Great to read and see photos

Any date(s) set for 2019 ??

Cheers
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem
Griff097

Post by Griff097 »

WIBO wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:20 pm Steve and I take a ride from the garage to the radio mast to take a few snaps and to kill time. This is a stone single vehicle ride and is quite difficult. The faster you ride it the easier it is to climb as it were. There are sheer drop offs and you'll need to concentrate.

Route to download here.....

https://www.wikiloc.com/outdoor-trails/ ... t-30682759

Start of piste is here....

N 30° 19.739'
W 005° 48.780'

At the summit...

I think you set new personal best time going up and down there Lol

Note to self, turn Abs off if you don't want to nearly sail straight off the edge braking on loose rocks and hairpins chasing you :)

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”