Trying out the wr450f

Where you've been and what you done
Mikekitts81

Trying out the wr450f

Post by Mikekitts81 »

Had to be done valve clearances checked oils filters done and its ready for the first ride while owned by me :D

Its my closiest lane which is legal to rude as i know of and ut never seems to fail . Alot of the time i give it a miss as its only 30mins up the road and theres not really any other lanes around . But everytime i fix a bike ready to go out i have to check it works as i want it to so off i went

The day was full of ramblers a 4x4 defender and a mad man who tryed to do the lane on a vespa or lambertta could quite make out what it was due to all the front lights and faurings being abit mangled . Anybody who knows the lane would say no to doing beaumount road from the top to bottom on a vespa type contraption but the guy tryed and failed . All i saw was me at the bottom of the lane after loading up and a man and a women with kids helping the man down the rest of the lane with his bike in bits. To be fair i did offer to throw it in my van and take him home but he managa3d to get it going and ride home with no front brake and a mangaled front end .

So i go down 30mins before ride the wr450f and it is a wonder to ride love the power delivery and live the way it moves and handles i get to the bottom of the lane and think right back up and what happens i get so far up then iam stuck back wheel just wouldnt go over at first and i stall it what a numpty
20181007_124354.jpg
20181007_124354.jpg (164.52 KiB) Viewed 3768 times
So i gets on and would the electric start work would it heck the dam thing just would go so i had to kick the dam thing like this
20181007_124324.jpg
20181007_124324.jpg (131.69 KiB) Viewed 3768 times
What a ball ache that was ok it start second kick but i now know why people say that electric start is a god dam must .

I get to the top of the hill and decide to do it again back down and thats when the man on is vespa lamberreta type thing tried following me ... he said he thought it would go all way down to bottom like it was at the top . I just cant for the life of me think of why he wouldnt just turn around before the drop offs but he didnt and carried on to his fall . Just wish i could have caught it on camera .
20181007_125239.jpg
20181007_125239.jpg (96.36 KiB) Viewed 3768 times

Its not the longest of lanes and there isnt much around and its out the way but everytime i go there i alwats have fun and thats what counts :D :D :D
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .
minkyhead

Re: Trying out the wr450f

Post by minkyhead »

wow a vespa ..he did bloody well to get to the big step half way down ....must be mental to do that on a scooter ... done that lane a load of times over the years and its a good old climb me little crf will romp up it . tiny first gear and elastic motor it refuses to stall ..there actually pretty good on them steppy things

on the flip side maby we should just use mountain bikes . :D ..these lads are scary fast ...if they bin it on there at those speeds they are going to cop for one with no protection on ,... but they are pretty dam good .... 8-) put to shame by their speed ....wouldnt like to pedel the feckers up it though :mrgreen:

whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

i could'nt believe he even got that far to be fair .if i was on a vespa laberretta type thing i would never have even gone of the first drop id have just turned back . i asked him at the bottom why he had carried on and he said he thought it was all like the top just straight road . he must have been doing some speed to not notice the first set of drops on the way down to think it was all straight road cause i can cleaelry see it only thing i could think of was wether he was foolowing me trying to keep up and didnt realise it was gonna be like that .

i went mountianing bike a few years ago up there never did speeds like that minky but i did fold my back wheel in half . one of the lads i was with bent it back and i had to wooble the bike all way home cause the wheel was all over the place it was everything but running in a true straight line .

iam to lazy for mountain bikes now though iam getting older now and a bit of a beer belly on so need the motorised push power and even with that i was knackered going up and down the hill today
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

ive got a leccy one and do a bit ... id get down there but wouldnt enjoy it ..im not very good on it ...got to say those guys know what they are about for sure must have some pretty trick suspension too ...they must come unstuck .. i think they need full face lids at least for what they are doing .....but i know how uncomfy that would be 95 percent of the time ......ill stick to the woodland tracks and a wooly hat and wellies .....bare legs /arms and ankles .....on that track wouldn end well
glad the bike is going well ..new battery and your good
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

I’ve managed to get down stuff like this on my C90, albeit slowly. The Vespa rider must have tried to floor it down there 😮
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
bowber

Post by bowber »

Nice lane, you'll have to take us up it sometime Steve. But why would someone even considered take a scooter down it :?

Many many many years ago when the first rumours of Garburn (Windermere to Kentmere) being closed to vehicles surfaced my mate decided he'd better get over it before it was shut, so he did it on his C90, he only had to repair one hole with liquid metal but he got over ;-)
The Kentmere side could vary from smooth to a boulder field over a few days of heavy rain, then it'd fill back in again until the next storm, obviously it was blamed on the bikes going over it :roll:

Steve
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

If theres a days riding going out i wouldnt mind coming along. Can puts some names to faces then aswell. its my neck of the woods aswell so only down road from home.
Was speaking to sandro sammarco and john denney today minky on facebook and they was on about you going all tubliss saying they was out with you a few week ago and you had drilled ya tires testing them with some liquid stuff and it was great.
What process did you do to the wheels etc . I have watched a few videos now with silicone and 3 m tapes but not tried it yet looked at the neutech tubliss system aswell which just inflates to grab the tyre helping keep the tyre and bead in place so you can run really low pressures .
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

its one for travel really i guess ... were those the lads in debyshire last week ... i were talking to a guy on a drz and the coversation got around to it ..he then stupidly said ive never had a puncture " :D

so four mins after setting off from the brew stop ..guess what :mrgreen:
ImageIMG_20180930_122427[1] by minkyhead56, on Flickr

its knock on from me moutain bike ..after doing that i did the 300l ...that was ok ...so since then ive done the rally the klx ....i held off on the ccm as t means no rim clamps at low pressure and its south of 50hp now ....

but i relented and went tubless for the france braaaap on the ccm ....1500 miles and tbo pretty mild off roading i have a policy of no lower than 15 psi and used a e09 mitas which are now tubless rated and stiff /..not much option anyway as it will killa maxxis in veryshort order ...900 miles ?

that said i dont think a wr450 on low pressures would be a great idea ..unless your turning into a travel type bike .....its a very tough call ..the crfs and klxes are pretty low hp and ive never got close to spiunning a tyre on them but whoose to say a load of mud and a tree root wouldt alter that ? ..ive off set it a bit by lining them with bead sealer which the four wheel drive guys swaear by at super low pressures ?
... the higher power 450s are somwhat of a different ball game ....as i say ive done the ccm but not with a enduro tyre ,,i have a spare wheel one with unicross rear clamped .... im note sure on that one ill see when i change it out ..for trails 14/15psi seems enough for general do it all presures anyway ...

ive done albania on the 300 crf on a full knob tubless and its been golden ,,,the ccm went well to france and back ..my total milage over the four bikes is around 15.000 on me tubless system ,,if i were going local and wanted to use low pressures on a 450 id have me doubts

theres a load of arguments over it and i dont think ive not heard one for or against ...the one thing that is in its favour is its self sealing capability ..and having ahd a bad one a few years ago with ripped valve im of the opinion it couldnt be any worse than that ....

im pretty well settled on the smaller bikes its proven to be 100 percent regarding airtight ... and i have changed out three tyres and the taped sytem is solid ....that said nowts forever and you need to keep on top of the innersealents ..im not so bad as i change tyres frequently and so can inspect the tape and replace with freash sealents

its up to the individual on this one .....tough call .....

ImageDSC_1099 by minkyhead56, on Flickr
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

Yea minky that would be them seen some photos of the flat on facebook and the praise for all the helps they all put in to help him get it fixed. Ill share the video later as they might like to see it as there saying about doing the conversion . Personally i think with the 450 iam more towards the neutech as it holds the bead of the tyre aswell . Around same price as a moose but can be used over and over again with numerous tyres and wont perish and go flat like a moose . I did watch lyndon poskits video the other day though were he sewed is tyre back up with rope so if i go that way ill definetly have a tube at hand anyway for now though ill stick with the ultra thick heavy duty michellins as my orders on its way with a fresh set of ac10s which are already on it and they dont seem that bad .

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”