Manchester to Scotland and back in a day 3 lochs run

Where you've been and what you done
adventure steele

Manchester to Scotland and back in a day 3 lochs run

Post by adventure steele »

Yesterday was a super special day for so long I've wanted to do Scotland via motorcycle still trying to decide on what gear to go further a field tent wise etc so after a bit of arm twisting my dad decided to come with on his GSX-R 750.

The plan - To do Manchester to Scotland to Manchester and back in a day and while up there do the three lochs run.

We set off at 7 am dad feeling rather freezing after leaving his Dianese water proof jacket so a quick about turn to go get it. (did tell him he might need it)

After a steady pace we got to Tebay services to refuel the GSXR-750 ouch 1.50 a litre poor dad haha. The rest of the motorway trip went without a hitch no pics of this stretch of the journey as we were saving the batteries for what would turn out to be an epic day in Scotland.

Both bikes performed superb first stop was Mofat for fuel again for the 750 and a litle stretch of the legs

after a brief misshap with the Nav V haha we finally got on the right route :)

amazing to see such beautiful countryside
ImageF800GS Norton.rider Scotland by norton.rider, on Flickr

with roads where you just dont see anyone for so long really vies you time to just take it all in an enjoy the views.

was some forest managment going on

both bikes were right up the the task although we stopped at the view point at Meggetts just around the bend are some absolutley sublime views the go pro footage thats coming will show some of them :)

I honestly don't think I could tire of Scotland ever every bend lead to an even better view

an the beemer inspired confidence no matter what the conditions although its gotta be said my dads GSX-R did amazing to!

sometimes you just have to take 5 and take in the epic views this stop was just above the last of the Loch's Dad looking very contemplative

an me with the f800gs often don't like doing self portraits but like this one :)

so to sum up the trip in a photo and words endless space!

Manchester to Scotland the three lochs route then back to Manchester in one day if I could move to Scotland I would on a heartbeat felt so at home an everyone is so nice just amazes me.

the ride back went swift an ok a stop at Tebay services again for fuel an a quick one near Rivi Barn an back to the chaos that is Manchester traffic very much looking forward to getting up to Scotland again for a longer stay next time.

Do I think it was worth the 6-7 hours of motoway I do indeed such an amazing time.

Hope you all enjoyed the pics

qcnr

Re: Manchester to Scotland and back in a day 3 lochs run

Post by qcnr »

Nice pictures, but how did you keep your bike so clean?
If you enjoyd scotland and want to go a bit further then Norway will be perfect for you.
It's like Scotland but on steroids... :D
adventure steele

Haha super lucky I guess cleaning stuff I use helps I guess just had a fine layer of dirt on her that's the Ultimate trip for me tbh!
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

Beautiful images and Scottish scenery....! I love the Blad's square format, I come from an analogue world of medium format film photography myself and appreciate your photo talents!!

Superb

Regards;
Peter - Central Scotland
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
adventure steele

Thanks Peter that means alot!

Yep I'm the same photographing with it is such a sense of occasion way different to the long lens stuff I used to do with the Canon.
Only got the hc80 at the moment an it's an older model Hassy so having to work within the restraints of the focal length very fun though

I'm still in a state of amazement at how good yesterday was the scenery was just so totally stunning and the people were lovley. Currently sat on the train after a day in Manchester city centre meeting some friends from London the feeling of being hemmed in sums up yesterday's ride to the core! Polar opposite to round here.

Drove me nuts on the ride back as when we went past the Lake District the scenery and lighting was sublime sods law! Dad was to tired to take a junction an go do some more understandable really on that gsx r

Only just picked the camera back up again so tentative steps back into it :) while I sus out what to do now I'm redundant.

Can't wait to get back to Scotland again that's for sure!
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

So the H3D camera is more like a 6 X 4.5 format instead of square I'm guessing..? Are lenses interchangeable I take it..?

I had a fantastic seventy mile bike ride myself today on the big V-Strom, over the Dukes Pass, Aberfoyle, The Trossachs, sublime weather and scenery, no requirement for any big speeds as I was soaking up the joy of it all around me.

Peter
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
bowber

Post by bowber »

Instead of getting your fuel at the motorway services at Tebay, come off at the junction and turn left at the roundabout, the truck stop is owned by the same people but the fuel price is the cheapest in the area.
We've just come back from a short week in Scotland, sent 2 day's getting to the Aviemore area via the Borders, Dukes pass etc, a day around the Cairngorms (not enough time) and 2 days getting back via the Oben road, Dunoon ferry and New Galloway forest, we also took in the coast below Dumfries.
To be honest, you can't go wrong in Scotland, just avoid the Glasgow - Edinburgh belt and you're good.

Steve
adventure steele

44mmX 33mm from memory :) but yeah 6 x45 rather than square produces a file at about 6496 pixels x 4872 so can enlarge them huge. Might do one across my wall in my room soon.

You can buy a converter for the V lenses but loose some of the functionality as the HC lenses are designed to work in unison with the H digital series stuff. The lenses from the old H1 and H2 are the HC stuff an that's compatible they do hcd lenses as well but they are outta my price range till I get work again so guess I'm seeing the world at 80 mm for a while haha! I'd love to get my hands on a v series one day :)

Sounds a good ride! Itching to go again!
That was like us just totally going slow and enjoying the sublime scenery

Cheers mate I'll remember that for next time :) regarding the fuel looking forward to exploring those areas myself
adventure steele

Very Excited about this one hope you all enjoy part one of the footage

edited on my 2009 mac book pro haha shes getting a bit long in the tooth now that's for sure bit like pulling teeth but managed to nock something together

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”