Peak District Adventures on the F800GS

Where you've been and what you done
adventure steele

Peak District Adventures on the F800GS

Post by adventure steele »

Hey everyone :)
As a few will know I got an F800GS approved used a week or so back absolutley in love so after being made redundant due to the company closing joys of the uk litho print industry. Decided to take some time out and go explore the UK more in depth. as a oportunity to get back into doing photoraphy again and have a play with some video stuff something I've never done before.

Really loving life on the 800 so far.

Day 1

So get up and its raining like crazy o.0 what happened to the heatwave we were having allways the way new bike = rain

Decided that wouldn't stop me so cracked on first stop was the Cat and Fiddle rather than pull up in pub Id stop at one of the pull ins and check the view out.

Hassy's + wet weather = near epic fail but got away with it. Really loving the Vario top box for carrying my camera kit.
ImageF800GS Peak District Adventure by Tom Steele, on Flickr

Tried the splitter but not really to mad on it helped a little but mainly just pushes the wind right into my visor area

Really coming to apreciate the lines on the GS subtle but nice design.

For those that havn't ridden the cat and fiddle there's alotta camera's average speed ones

Finally the rain let up just a tiny bit to be replaced by wind joys.

So it was time to leave and crack on to the next location.

Stopped on a little pull in that was quite nice and quiet with a view over a resovouir

Was finally drying out so gave me a chance to get the good ol visor cleaner out :)

Really love some of these view points :) always seems like a good place to stop

So onto Day 2 :)

yet again the weather is against me as per usual some of the most crazy side winds I've experienced

Went the usual route over the cat, into Hope Via Wynatts pass was crazily busy though so didn't stop flicked an about turn to Monsall Head another beauty spot decided to pull up a bit before hand an crack tha camera out maybe something a lil different well attempt to anyway haha.

Think this was probably one of my fav's of Day 2 for anyone that knows the road its very technical and bumpy and lots of crests. the 800 just ate it up more composed than most bikes I've road down it an thats alotta bikes :)

Quick look across the hills an its time to press on wont win any awards for this haha but was sorta a cool view so took a quick grab shot

Time to jump back on an press on as per usual Monsall Head was rammed for the time of day so pressed on to my next stop one of my fav places Monyash!! Usually go there on my rd250lc Yamaha an you get lots of classics problem is parking can be a pain.

so pulled up on the side of one of the shortcuts initially a great idea till I realised how busy it was always the way so took a few quick shots then went to Matlock again rammed for a week day which was ace to see so many bikes out!!

ImageLandscape by Tom Steele, on Flickr
Then did the return loop home :) Day 3 to come soon

Hope you all enjoy getting out at such a life changing time is keeping me sane :)
adventure steele

Re: Peak District Adventures on the F800GS

So got out for day three of my Peak District ride
Just a small one today :)

To test the puig retrofit I've done few lil riding clips an my thoughts on it
Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

Nice pics only up the road from me used to love the cat and fiddle but the cameras have ruined it
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

🇩🇪 🇧🇪 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇮🇲 🇱🇺
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

One of the most amazing pieces of road I have ever ridden was just down from the Cat & Fiddle & I can't work out what / where it was. It kicks you out at a well used petrol station. Twisty curve after curve for quite some time & it was heaven for a CCM.

Cat & Fiddle with 50mph average cameras had me bored on even my CRF250 when I took it up there, it's not like there's much of a view to enjoy while you're staring at your speedo. I do love the Peak District though
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
adventure steele

Cheers mate prob road past each other loads then.

Yeah I actually don't mind them to be honest road is more than enough fun at 50 mph had maniacs up there so they had to do something remember when I used to go up alot an you would have people on the wrong side of the road across double whites on bends both car an bikes.

When track days are so cheap I don't see the harm in them makes a dangerous road safer.

As Casey said once Were certain riders where there ability was outweighing the talent.
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

I fully agree, heroes reenacting the TT meant something had to be done, for me though a road where you're staring at the speedo, rather than the view or the road ahead, leaves me cold. I don't ride fast....but I also don't consider 60 to be mental either

Have fun, my foots broken so I won't be having any for a fe weeks
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

P4ulie wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:37 pm One of the most amazing pieces of road I have ever ridden was just down from the Cat & Fiddle & I can't work out what / where it was. It kicks you out at a well used petrol station. Twisty curve after curve for quite some time & it was heaven for a CCM.
My guess is you stayed on the A54 from Buxton to Congleton. Although the road from Buxton now takes you up to the Cat and Fiddle it originally took you down through what is now a turn off, eventually crosses the Macclesfield - Leek road in the countryside, and then carries on to Congleton. I agree it's a much nicer and quieter road. So the road from Buxton starts as the A54 and now seamlessly becomes the A537.

I never understood how the Cat and Fiddle became so popular. Unless you know it thoroughly and don't get stuck behind HGV's, caravans or just slower car drivers (which is almost impossible) I think it's just a pain in the arse.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Had my own little "Adventure" in the Peaks on Saturday... well I've got to run the 1090 in somehow!

Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
adventure steele

Awesome Tony that looks a really cool route huge thumbs up from me

I mainly use the Cat as a jumping off point to meet up for other rides in the peaks guess Im just pretty decent at managing my speed haha so never found them an isssue.

Ok so as a continuation from day 3 and 1 :)

Day 2 really feeling the black an white so decided to re process the landscape above probably one of my all time fav roads on the way to Monyash.

ImageLandscape 1 by Tom Steele, on Flickr

Day 3
had a ride out to Edale direction unfurtnatly ran outta batteries on the go pro so didn't get much footage of that :)

Did however spot an amazing cloud burst some days rainy weather makes for some epic views was a really quiet so just had some time to think as you do.

ImageA0002822_final by Tom Steele, on Flickr

Hoping to do some more tomorrow probably get drenched looking at the forcast thank god for good gear :D

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”