Wrong bike, wrong kit - just too hot

Where you've been and what you done
92kk k100lt 193214

Re: Wrong bike, wrong kit - just too hot

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

catcitrus wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:35 am I've not long got back from a 2 week camp at St Leon sur Vezere--trail riding on the little Yam. Because its loaded and not fast I deliberately avoid all motorways and stick to N and usually D roads (riding from Calais)--no traffic to speak of and plenty of shade--much easier to cope with the high temps--black top is always 10 deg hotter!
I was down with Catcitrus on this camp, on a......................K1100LT.

Yes we got heat too but have found a few things for 35c riding. Using Ks now for 8 years and lots of 35c riding in France.

I don't use a satnav at all, but in 35c the best place by far is on the motorway, some speed means air movement and cooling. Sitting in traffic on a D or N road in 35c isn't an option of any kind.

The only thing I have on is a pure cotton underwear and light cotton t shirt under the gear and all vents open, sleeves open and leg vents open but thick cotton socks that allow some breathing but also are a cushion layer. The K1100LT screen is adjustable and quite easy to get it to keep airflow over you. It takes effort to get the right angle, too vertical and it sucks warm air up from around the engine, the right angle you get an airflow from the slot under it.

I use the same gear in winter but remove thermal linings in summer. Its XL size so I can put layers on in freezing weather which means in summer its loose and draughty if I want but in winter is warm and snug.

I did a 550 mile run up to the Roscoff ferry the day I left, 9 1/2 hours, it got hot hot hot as it does but I was very comfortable. I don't let more than 90 minutes pass without a stop, light eats and cold drink. Before I left the top box was packed with readily accessible food fruit and cold drinks [stainless steel flasks]. Sadly yes one pays motorway prices for the fuel in these situations but no time is spent melting in slow moving traffic. I also usually keep some fruit int he tank bag, accessible on the move but didn't do that this time.

Another little trick I found was to wash the bike gear, blue Persil non bio, [removes all the crap] before you go on a long trip.

One other major item too. There are different height screens for the K1100LT so check which one you have. I took off the tall one and got a short one and it was an incredible improvement. £39 plus VAT, free post in UK. You will definitely cook with the tall screen.

Back again in September.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 36,400 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

92kk k100lt 193214 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:41 pm
catcitrus wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:35 am I've not long got back from a 2 week camp at St Leon sur Vezere--trail riding on the little Yam. Because its loaded and not fast I deliberately avoid all motorways and stick to N and usually D roads (riding from Calais)--no traffic to speak of and plenty of shade--much easier to cope with the high temps--black top is always 10 deg hotter!
I was down with Catcitrus on this camp, on a......................K1100LT.

Yes we got heat too but have found a few things for 35c riding. Using Ks now for 8 years and lots of 35c riding in France.

I don't use a satnav at all, but in 35c the best place by far is on the motorway, some speed means air movement and cooling. Sitting in traffic on a D or N road in 35c isn't an option of any kind.

The only thing I have on is a pure cotton underwear and light cotton t shirt under the gear and all vents open, sleeves open and leg vents open but thick cotton socks that allow some breathing but also are a cushion layer. The K1100LT screen is adjustable and quite easy to get it to keep airflow over you. It takes effort to get the right angle, too vertical and it sucks warm air up from around the engine, the right angle you get an airflow from the slot under it.

I use the same gear in winter but remove thermal linings in summer. Its XL size so I can put layers on in freezing weather which means in summer its loose and draughty if I want but in winter is warm and snug.

I did a 550 mile run up to the Roscoff ferry the day I left, 9 1/2 hours, it got hot hot hot as it does but I was very comfortable. I don't let more than 90 minutes pass without a stop, light eats and cold drink. Before I left the top box was packed with readily accessible food fruit and cold drinks [stainless steel flasks]. Sadly yes one pays motorway prices for the fuel in these situations but no time is spent melting in slow moving traffic. I also usually keep some fruit int he tank bag, accessible on the move but didn't do that this time.

Another little trick I found was to wash the bike gear, blue Persil non bio, [removes all the crap] before you go on a long trip.

One other major item too. There are different height screens for the K1100LT so check which one you have. I took off the tall one and got a short one and it was an incredible improvement. £39 plus VAT, free post in UK. You will definitely cook with the tall screen.

Back again in September.
Yep, when it's hot auto route, you need the air flow, hour and half tops, break, water, rest, although I always keep away from motorways they do serve a purpose when it's hot.... :D
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

I've forgot to turn OFF "avoid tolls" on my Garmin more than once. In the UK it's not so bad (toll bridge), in France it ended up with a massive detour :x and in Ireland I caught it. Thing is it only registers a toll, not whether it's free for bikes or how much it is 1euro or 20euros.

Also what I didn't realise until I was in Ireland, even if you plot the route on Basecamp when you upload it to the Garmin the "avoid tolls" on the device modifies your route. I think. Unless I've missed something else, which is entirely possible :?
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

Tolls in Ireland are so low, generally only €1 on the motorways, you should avoid the 'avoid toll' settings. Cork to Belfast would be all of €3.

For travel from the Dublin port it makes no sense to avoid the tunnel toll.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 36,400 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles
scouse

Post by scouse »

Just come back from a week in France - got as far south as Lac Nantua near Bourg en Bresse.

Peage and autoroute are now so fecking hot it's not cooling you down - the heat radiating off these roads was intense. The air temp at speed was arround 40c in most places south of Troyes.

D's and N's proved a lot cooler to ride on, but the new limits slow you down a tad , but a lot easier to stop and find shady places for water and fuel... and a lot more fun to ride on and you don't wear out just the centre of the tyres.
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

My tips would be;
  • travel early and/or late in the day, rest up at lunchtimes drinking plenty of water and eating fruit such as nectarines
    sadly do not drink too much alcohol
    cool shower with baby wash and then talc those nooks and crannies again using baby lotion products - might make you smell funny but at least you don't end up walking like John Wayne :lol:
    do not use aftershave nor body sprays - the J&J talc will keep you smelling nice :shock:
    I also found keeping road speed down allowed air to flow into you not just over the fairing
TTFN

Hugh.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

i never take jackets abroad now ..to bulky and hot ...just use armour and goretex throwovers when needed ..trousers are airstream and ditto goretex army throwovers on the very odd occasion their needed ....for me convetional motorcycle jackets and trousers have it wrong ...they require you to remove your clothing to remove and add layers
i flipped it over and started with the summer layers and add the waterproofing or flece layers over them on the odd occasion its needed ... hant had a jacket on home or abroad since april i think ? worth a try maby
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
scouse

Post by scouse »

I'm trying to find a link to a Greek company that makes ventilated gear that the waterproof layers go over the top not inside... it was constantly popping up on Face ache a few months back.

Like everything with that place finding what you need is often impossible. :D
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
Slowboy

Post by Slowboy »

I use Weise Airspin mesh kit, wear the liners when it's cold and when it's raining Berghaus Paclite overtrousers (Gortex) and a Mountain Warehouse waterproof cycling top (bright yellow, not Gortex) which gets a trip in the washing machine with the Nicwax miracle stuff every 6 months or so and thus far it's proved very effective. The top only leaked once, finally getting in through the hole my head goes through in a biblical storm in Brittany that lasted the whole 3.5 hours we took to get to the ferry. I'd have been better off on a jet ski........
Small bike traveller

CRF250 Rally
C90
C125 Super Cub
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

I've been away for 3 weeks, and yes it's been hot. I wore a Rev It Eclipse mesh jacket and BMW summer 3s trousers.
Still hot when you stop or in traffic but I don't think there's much you can wear that will help you then.
On the move quite good though.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”