A five-day weekend through Germany's Romantic Road and Black Forest...

Where you've been and what you done
TravisGill

Re: A five-day weekend through Germany's Romantic Road and Black Forest...

Post by TravisGill »

Romantic Road, Germany, Day 3 - Sunday, 29 Apr 2018 (continued…)

Augsburg was the next town on the route. Although it was late in the afternoon we still got to see the Augsburg Cathedral, the Zentrum, and the Fuggerei. All interesting and offering lots of photographing opportunities.

Entering the town of Augsburg.

The entrance door of the Augsburg Cathedral, a Roman Catholic church founded in the 11th century in Romanesque style with 14th-century Gothic additions.

The chapel of the Augsburg Cathedral.

Prayer candles flicker in the darkened corners of the church.

A carving of Mary and Jesus as a child. The cathedral is dedicated to the Virgin Mary.

The southern clerestory has five stained glass windows dated to the late 11th-early 12th centuries, the oldest in Germany. Portraits of the prophets Jonah, Daniel, Hosea, Moses and David are depicted.

The halls surrounding the main cathedral area.

The ornate windows looking into the central garden area.

The outside fountain has unique drains of bronzed fish heads.

A town map made finding the popular sites easy. It was late in the day but we still found plenty of stuff to see.

We even found a submarine in Augsburg!

Ornate 16th-century bronze statue of the Roman emperor Augustus located in the central square of Augsburg.

Augsburger Rathaus (Town Hall of Augsburg). The Goldener Saal, or Golden Hall, is the most impressive of the Rathaus's rooms.

Love the ornate and lifelike craftsmanship that went into this 1620s building.

Our last stop in Augsburg was Fuggerei. I found this area especially interesting.

The Fuggerei is the world's oldest social housing complex still in use.

The cost of entrance into this community costed €4...

...which cost more than 4.5 times the rent for a month to live here!...

...Yes, you heard correct! The rent to live here inside this community is the same as it costed when it was built in the 1520s - just one Rheinischer Gulden (88 euro cents) for an entire year...

...However it’s a exclusive membership - You must be a Roman Catholic and prove your faith and have become indigent without any outstanding debt...

...and be willing to have tourist come into your community to take pictures...

...of your religious statues...

...and your beautiful gardens, walls, and simple living.

But all was not always so... The US Eighth Air Force bombed the Augsburg Messerschmitt works during the day on 25 February 1944. That night, RAF Bomber Command followed destroying a large part of the center of Augsburg.

The Fuggerei was heavily damaged by the bombings of Augsburg during World War II, but has been rebuilt in its original style.

I was reminded of the true cost of war in many of the places we visited in Germany. The staggering human cost of 70 million lives lost across Europe and Asia, from 1939 to 1945, should not be forgotten, regardless of what country or nationality you are:

The Fallen of WW II by Neil Halloran.

Back to the ride report and something more positive...

Chantil noticed a city on the map called Kissing. Go figure, a city named Kissing on the Romantic Road? Anyhow, we stopped long enough at the entrance of the town to "kiss" under the sign. Awww.

We wanted to make it to a campsite near the town of Landsberg am Lech but we were a bit behind schedule (too much kissing?) and the sun had already set. It would be well into darkness before we would make it... so we found a secluded forest road just off the roadway and set up our tent and sleeping bags. Although "wild" camping like this in Germany is frowned upon (Germans are rule followers to a tee), we would get an early start and be on our way south to the next town before anyone would even know we were there.

Until tomorrow…
Travis & Chantil
'11 G650GS and '12 G650GS Sertao
YouTube Channel
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

Fab photos, thanks for posting. I blasted down the whole road in a day back in 2015 - didn’t see any of this stuff, just mile after mile of fantastic tarmac.
Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Realy enjoyed that great RxR and pics , never been to Germany but you've got me thinking now
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Great photo-report. Thanks. I feel like I've had a course on German architecture thrown in for free. When's the exam?

Did you have any permission issues with flying the drone?
TravisGill

Post by TravisGill »

Dave DRZ wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:22 am Fab photos, thanks for posting. I blasted down the whole road in a day back in 2015 - didn’t see any of this stuff, just mile after mile of fantastic tarmac.
Dave
Thanks Dave for the comment. The road is pretty good traveling although a bit slower through all the little towns. We felt three days was just about right.

PHILinFRANCE wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:49 am Realy enjoyed that great RxR and pics , never been to Germany but you've got me thinking now
Thanks Phil! I really didn't know what to expect but ended up pleasantly surprised by this trip. Worth it!

daveuprite wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:45 am Great photo-report. Thanks. I feel like I've had a course on German architecture thrown in for free. When's the exam?

Did you have any permission issues with flying the drone?
Thanks for the comment. No exam - enjoy the next two days of ride report and pictures without stress! As far as the drone - I usually launch it away from crowds, get it airborne quickly, snap the pictures or video I need, then recover it. This helps avoid folks with questions. Drones are a great photo tool but it's too bad people hate them so much.
Travis & Chantil
YouTube Channel
TravisGill

Post by TravisGill »

Romantic Road, Germany 🇩🇪 Day 4 - Monday, 30 Apr 2018:

Map of today's travels to include the last section of the Romantic Road then to Triberg.

Since we were wild camping, which is frowned upon in Germany, we made sure to get up early and get a move on before 6:30.

The rain was just starting to sprinkle as we made our way back onto pavement.

We found a grocery store with and attached bakery where we enjoyed some delicious pastries for breakfast.

Shortly after leaving the bakery the rain stopped, the clouds lifted, and we had nearly blue skies for the rest of the day.

Our first stop was The Pilgrimage Church of Wies - another UNESCO World Heritage Site. We enjoyed the quick walk around the property and a view of the elegant interior before making our way south.

A nice view of the church from the walking pathway.

The door knocker on the main entrance. I wonder how old this is?

The altar is overwhelming with the incredible details and grandness of the entire structure.

Elegant statues adorn the flanks of the chapel.

The Wieskirche (Wies Church) was built between 1745 and 1754.

The C, M, B mean Christus Mansionem Benedict (Latin for ‘May Christ bless the house’). The ‘+’ represent the cross. 20 + 18 is the year. This is a popular thing among Germany. Our home also has it printed above the doorway.

Neighboring home with its unique window treatment.

Continuing south and just starting to see the glorious Alps!

Tomorrow will be May 1st and in Bavaria this is maypole day. Local folks dress in their finest costumes and celebrate. These maypoles are decorated with ribbons, wreaths, and signs representing local craftsmen’s guilds.

Our next stop was the Schloss Neuschwanstein (New Swanstone Castle). I had been looking forward to this castle since we planned the trip. Unfortunately getting tickets on the German Labor Day weekend was going to be tough.

The closest to we got to Schloss Neuschwanstein was a drone flight.

The valley was incredibly beautiful with blue skies and yellow spring dandelions.

Picturesque perfect cabin in Bavaria.

A traditional horse cart being pulled under the shadow of the Neuschwanstein Castle.

The end of the Romantic Road brought us to Füssen.

We parked the mules and walked around a bit but realized that it was going to be difficult to find a restaurant that was going to be able to serve is quick enough to get back on the road in order to make it to the Black Forest before the end of the day.

Hanging out with this hansom guy!

It was also difficult to see the Alps just on the horizon and realize that we would have to wait for a future date before we could ride into Austria, Liechtenstein, and Switzerland.

Onward to Triberg and the Black Forest where we got a hotel room for the night.

Tomorrow we will explore Triberg, ride north through the Black Forest and the famous Schwarzwaldhochstraße, and then (sadly) return home...
Travis & Chantil
YouTube Channel
JJay51

Post by JJay51 »

For drone use in europe you should be using this app at least to ensure you aren't flying where you shouldn't be.

https://www.uavforecast.com/#/

And here you can check the laws for each country -

https://uavcoach.com/drone-laws/
TravisGill

Post by TravisGill »

JJay51 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:37 pm For drone use in europe you should be using this app at least to ensure you aren't flying where you shouldn't be.
https://www.uavforecast.com/#/

And here you can check the laws for each country -
https://uavcoach.com/drone-laws/
Great links! Appreciate it.
Travis & Chantil
YouTube Channel
TravisGill

Post by TravisGill »

Map of Day 5 where we left Triberg, passed through the Black Forest via B500 and then returned home.

Triberg reminded me of Estes Park in Colorado - A mountain community with lots of touristy shops and hiking trails among pine trees and water falls.

Riding from the hotel to the Triberg Waterfall through tight but colorful streets.

The Triberg waterfall area is a bit of a tourist location, where you have to pay to see the falls.

Do I really have to wear these goofy German clothes?

There was also a rope bridge and play area for the kiddies - us adults are kids at heart.

In town there are multiple vendors and shops selling everything that is the Black Forest.

We stopped by 'The House of 1000 Clocks' to see the wide variety of clocks they offered. I'll spare you all 1000 of them but here are a few of my favorites...

A bright red deer headed clock.

A modern clock with a nod to the traditional.

Google-eyed owl clock.

Of course, there are the traditional Black Forest ones.

And a mix of traditional with modern bright colored clocks.

We made out way to Oli`s Schnitzstube who has spent his life making cuckoo clocks. The level of detail of his clocks was pretty incredible.

Oli also makes unique bird houses.

We ended up buying a tiny clock that we'll use as a Christmas tree ornament to remind us of our time in the Black Forest. Unfortunately this one is not made in Germany - it's made in Taiwan.

We had some miles to cover before the end of the day so we reluctantly left Triberg to head north.

Just a bit out of town is the WORLD LARGEST CUCKOO CLOCK! (Capital letters for effect!). We ended up timing our arrival well because it only goes off on the hour and half hours. Cool clock. Moving on...

Some local art showing the traditional clothing or Tracht of Gutach.

The red color of the pompons indicates that the woman was unmarried. What do you think? Do red pompons make a woman more desirable?

Ever since arriving in Europe, I've wanted to ride an Alpine luge. Sommerrodelbahn Gutach provided that opportunity for just 3 euros. A bit slower than I imagined but fun. Perhaps there are faster ones in the Alps?

The highlight, at least for me, was riding the B500 or Schwarzwaldhochstraße (Black Forest Road) the entire 64 km from Freudenstad to Baden-Baden. This is regarded as one of the oldest and best know motorcycle roads in Germany.

Other riders enjoying the Schwarzwaldhochstraße.

Mummelsee is a lake half-way along the B500. According to legends, the lake is inhabited by a Nix and the King of the Mummelsee.

A tree with a bunch of love locks. It's seems "p and g" feel their love is bigger than all the others (roll eyes).

More clocks at Mummelsee Lake.

There were a few food trucks and a couple restaurants in the area...

...and a shop selling all types of art and trinkets.

We wanted to try Black Forest Cake before leaving the area so we found a seat among the tourists and waited for what we were hoping was a delicious desert.

Unfortunately the whip cream was so full of rum that it destroyed the taste of the cake. Perhaps we should have ordered the "virgin" Black Forest Cake?

It was getting late, especially since we had quite a distance to go before getting home. Time to move on...

... but not before saying "goodbye" the the King of the Mummelsee.

Back on the Schwarzwaldhochstraße. The temperature was near perfect and other seems to be enjoying the well maintained road through the forest.

I expected heavy traffic on the German holiday but was pleasantly surprised when we only had to pass two slower vehicles and got passed once by a sport bike rider.

Unfortunately, the fun part of our motorcycle trip had come to an end. It was now time to ride the 4.5 hours back home at 130 KPH (80 MPH) along the Autobahn.

Almost home.

Overall, we covered about 1,130 miles in five days and got to see a major part of southern Germany. We’ll definitely return to the Black Forest again and explore it a bit longer in the future. Until the next ride report... Cheers!!
Travis & Chantil
YouTube Channel
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Great report as usual with some great pics.

Thanks for the insight..based on that I think I'll ride to the Black Forest starting out tomorrow morning!!

:D
Will It Buff Out?

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”