Kit test in the Southwest.

Where you've been and what you done
Brenhden

Re: Kit test in the Southwest.

Post by Brenhden »

Thanks everyone :D

diggermanbob wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:15 pm Good write up , you weren't far from my bolt hole in Cornwall , Polruan , glad to see the little bike is doing the job. :D
It sure is, on the back roads its great fun, especially now it's got the ECU upgrade :)

P4ulie wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:48 pm Thanks for that Bren, just ordered some of the Gel wet shoes as could have used them walking up river beds in Cumbria last week.

I bought the Crane down bag as a *ahem* birthday present for the Mrs (i'm not evil she's getting other stuff) but sounds like if it needs a liner as well it will likely end up packing as big as my 3 season down bag :roll:

I will just have to test it for her, wouldn't want her getting cold now
Yeah I guess you get what you pay for, it does pack down really small. I'll be taking some long johns to sleep in for the Black forest.
herman wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:20 pm Ta muchly for that, Catcher in the Rye is one of the few books I could not be arsed to finish too.
It's like a boring version of On The Road.
boboneleg wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:29 pm Nice one Brenhden, interesting choice of kit.

Cornish Rattler and pastie 10/10

Sardine roll 1/10 :mrgreen:
That's what I thought but I was reading a US camping forum and everyone was raving about them. Only to be eaten where there is a recycling bin for the tin. You do not want a slimy fish tin in your pack :mrgreen:
Tramp wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:47 pm Cheers Brenhden..... Best sleeping bag by far is a snugpak elite..... And a down jacket and summer biker and waterproof over overs all bases.... And a pair of longjohns for them mountain passes... We are british after all...

Enjoy the black forest and dont eat too much gateaux or drink too many pils...the piesporter aint bad.
Thanks Tramp, I will be packing thermals. Without the wetsuit I'll have tonnes of extra space. Snugpack Elites look great but a bit heavy for my tastes.

It will be cake, ham and beer for a week, I'll get a bottle of piesporter and give it a test. :D
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Nice one Bren , interested in this camp bed you used any chance of so pcs
Cheers Phil
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

PHILinFRANCE wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:51 am Nice one Bren , interested in this camp bed you used any chance of so pcs
Cheers Phil
Here it is as it comes:
IMG_20180530_173737.jpg
IMG_20180530_173737.jpg (103.55 KiB) Viewed 3078 times
Here it is pitched but upside down:
IMG_20180530_175330.jpg
IMG_20180530_175330.jpg (67.83 KiB) Viewed 3078 times
To sleep on its excellent but you need more space to put it together than there is in my tent. If it was raining when you needed to put it together it would be soaked by the time it was up.

Here is where I got it from:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-Al ... 2749.l2649
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
beany

Post by beany »

a good and in depth trip report bren thanks for sharing.Good pic,s of the bed got me interested instead of my sleep mat.
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

Nice one Bren,
I used to hail from near those parts (Boscastle).
Sounds like a nice little trip. Thanks for sharing.
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

Hahahaha! Decided to get meself one o them beds but noticed it says load bearing to 100kg.
As I weigh 100kg (short and fat) I'm not sure the thing would last very long.
I'll stick to the sleeping mat.
Boudica

Post by Boudica »

Nice!
I also use the Crane brand and I am happy with their products. I have the Crane bike jeans and dry bags 45 L and 20 L. :)
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Great ride report, and like the look of them beds...... :D
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

High Bren, I have one of those camp beds and agree on the fight to assemble it--I note that you have managed to do the double pole crossovers in the middle--I tried but couldn't manage the effort required-How did you do it. I'm trying it with just the single poles and also fitted in the lower holes--we'll see what bends!
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

I think my technique was based around the idea that if it broke I would send it back...

I thread the main poles in then straddle the bed upside down with one knee pressing down on either pole, then start at the top with the first two singles, these help hold the bed taut. Then I apply a unreasonable and thumb straining amount of force to the doubles. I hook one side in, pull back with one arm in the middle and push down with the other.

A few of them are a bit bent now but it doesn't affect the function of them however the material is fraying a bit around some holes and its not square any more...

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”