E.D.C Torla,Spain to Lac d'Orédon French Pyrénées.

Where you've been and what you done
WIBO

E.D.C Torla,Spain to Lac d'Orédon French Pyrénées.

Post by WIBO »

Only me as a member of the Team of Goats available for this ride out ( équipe des chèvres )

So,I jumped on the moto to ride to another two overlooked destinations, mainly because most riders ride on past the turn offs and that you have to ride back on yourself to join your principle route. Both end points result in a place for a coffee and meal. Another great day loop if you're in the region. The latter culminates is five stunning lakes all bunched close by and fed by twisties.

Ride over to Saine Colome via backroads rather than the Route National. This route will have a slower average speed but lets you get up high to see the first of the mountains.

From here ride the classic scenic route to the lake at Artouste.

At the summit of Col de Pourtalet the snow is melting...Col d'Aubisque though is still closed.

From here bimble down the other side into Spain turning left at Biescas onto the N260.....twisties abound and with a good road surface. Turn and head to Torla.

Ride on through the town and head to this big lump of rock. You'll come to a junction and by taking either you'll end up at a dead end.

Turning right takes you on this road to Pradera de Ordesa.......sporadically uneven and with potholes....

When you retrace back and take that left turn into ' Valle de Bujaruelo' which will take you on this road, which will have sections of rough gravel potholed lane to end at a camp site close to a river.

Last edited by WIBO on Mon May 07, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Will It Buff Out?
chunky butt

Re: EDC Torla,Spain to Lac d'Orédon French Pyrénées.

Post by chunky butt »

Great photos again keith, know that area well, basically did the same route with the Mrs couple years back....although in the car :D
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

From here head through the Bielsa Tunnel passing through Ainsa and of which a lot of riders here just might know. The lac d'Orédon is off the main route and as stated before, is an ideal dead end stop for a coffee.

Twisties up to the lake....yehaaaa

Will It Buff Out?
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Great stuff Keith. Love that Ordesa area - favourite bit of the Pyrenees for me.

Do you happen to know if the pass into Spain on the N230, south of Vielha, is clear and open OK? Or is there a website you consult to check if a pass is open?

It usually is by now, especially with the tunnel.

Quite a few HISSers will be using that road next weekend.

Thanks, Dave
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

daveuprite wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 1:14 pm Great stuff Keith. Love that Ordesa area - favourite bit of the Pyrenees for me.

Do you happen to know if the pass into Spain on the N230, south of Vielha, is clear and open OK? Or is there a website you consult to check if a pass is open?

It usually is by now, especially with the tunnel.

Quite a few HISSers will be using that road next weekend.

Thanks, Dave
Hi Dave

I've no idea...I'd say a call to the nearest tourist office would work...they'll speak English and would be able to keep one posted.

Personally I'd say it is ..the likes of Col d'Aubisque is closed as the mountain above the road is steep and prone to avalanche because of snow melt.

Over the last two days I've seen about 15 gripes of moto rising past from a Moto Guzzi club to a bobber BMW club today. A lot of Spanish riders too. That's the start of it!!

:D
Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

When you arrive at the top you'll have a choice to veer right and ride to Lac d'Orédon or straight on to Lac de Cap-de-Long. The road is closed at present. Where you see the two mountains dip and meet in the image, you'll see the dam wall of same.

The road to Lac d'Aubert is also closed at present but when open you can ride the twisties up too here as well.

From here you'll come back on yourself and as a continued loop ride to Arreau and on over Col d"Aspen and back on from whence you came.

An ideal day loop if you're in the Pau/Ainsa region.

Again if any one wants ideas on this region or Aragon and Navarre in Spain by all means just ask. I don't mind sharing routes and any of the free trails one finds.

:D

Will It Buff Out?

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”