Nurburgring

Where you've been and what you done
bigfoot

Re: Nurburgring

Post by bigfoot »

Check what date in June

It is closed for a week due to the Rock Am Ring music festival so best enquire before
Benson-1215

Post by Benson-1215 »

Have a look on Farcebook for Nurburgring Biker Blog he done a 8.38 BTG on a African Twin.
Also on Youtube.
Scary Mary
"I came into this world with nothing and with careful management
I still have most of it left'
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Back in 2004 and 2005 I did a couple of 5 day courses on the Ring with The Mulheim Ruhr club--about 7 car groups and 4 bike groups--we split the ring into sections and repeatedly rode these watched by the instructors--and then moved on to the next section--and in the evening had a couple of hours or so free lapping.--you could pin it on the main straight!--the advice was not to do more than about 2 laps in one go as you were likely to screw up. At the end of all the instruction(5 days) you set off at 2 minute intervals with all the instructors around the circuit marking you--with one rule--- DO NOT overtake the guy in front--just hang back on the straight bits. I used a lardy 1150 Rockster with a top end of about 120 mph--now an R1 will pass you pretty quickly at 160 plus.
The circuit is NEVER completely dry--too many trees and its in the hills--and the surface is crap in places. I got through about three tankfulls of fuel per day--and the dear old BM was flat out most of the time--piece of sh1t really for that kind of work. I got a couple of trophies and I'm meant to be a "routiniere"--in other words vaguely know my way around. I can thoroughly recommend many hours on a playstation etc in advance (I didn't have the luxury back then)--it WILL help the memory as your turn ins in the trees can be as simple as a patch of grass in the kerb, or a tree to aim at, and you'll be doing in excess of 100 mph. I think I managed about a 10 minute lap--but no real timing--that can be fatal!

Back then it was way over 1k, plus accommodation etc --but fond memories and learnt one hell of a lot(basically a "retirement "present to me!). We did other things like skidpan (front wheel locking and control), launching a new BMW car against the armco to slow it down (simulated brake failure), slalom tests and so on.
The scariest circuit was as a passenger to a lady racing driver in a schnitzer BMW whose philosophy was simple on the bends--if the two inside wheels are virtually airborne then they can be on the grass!--when she stopped she said "CAN'T STOP"--she had to go out on the road to prevent the discs warping!

I've done a couple of paid laps over the years but hate it really--either coaches in the way or mad Italians or Spaniards undertaking on the bends(remember Marquez and Rossi a couple of races ago!)--basically scary because there is NO standard of behaviour or speed--choose your time carefully and see who is going out in front of you AND behind you.
Mike Wright

Post by Mike Wright »

Different generation and mind set to when I rode it as the cars are faster and the course learnt on the PS4. Lack of respect for bikes with no real track time apart from on a games console make it a very risky ride. I went back last year and the track was barely open due to numerous crashes. You need to know exactly what you are doing and the track to enjoy it I think and keep away from those cars
Jeves

Post by Jeves »

If anybody fancies a real fast lap try to book a ride in the ring taxi, very experienced drivers take you round in BMW M5 s, they are booked well in advance but if you take a chance you can ask at reception and if a car isn’t full you may be able to buy the spare seat. I did this a few years back and managed to do a lap for €30 , and the driver was Sabine Schmidt, she did an incredible fast lap whilst talking to me and the other guy in the back. An unforgettable experience.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Benson-1215 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:00 pm Have a look on Farcebook for Nurburgring Biker Blog he done a 8.38 BTG on a African Twin.
Also on Youtube.
Scary Mary
That's fantastic. I did one 8.30 Bridge to Gantry on my tuned and tricked GSXR750. Unrepeatable now I think. I was in the midst of club racing back then and that was a hairy feeling lap of the Ring, which was almost empty at the time. I wouldn't try again. Nothing all that special as times go. But I sure knew that I was trying at the time. You can find lots of meg-laps in the high sevens and quicker on youtube.

To make an AT do 8.38 is awesome.
nickoff

Post by nickoff »

Ive been to the Moto GP in Assen for the last couple of years with some mates on my Transalp 700. After the racing we then have a ride down to Cochem in Germany which is not far from the Nurburgring. My mates all being on sports bikes decided to go for a couple of laps of the "ring". Me and the Alp tagged along to see what it was all about and once there I thought " I've gotta have a go at this". Bloody loved it even though plenty of stuff was passing me including a little Suzuki car. It was only about 2 inches off the road and had ruddy great big tyres on it. Anyway that's my excuse. :D There's one or 2 corners that can catch you out but that happens anywhere. I would love to get a few laps in on a sports bike. Go for it.

Nick.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

nickoff wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:55 pm Ive been to the Moto GP in Assen for the last couple of years with some mates on my Transalp 700. After the racing we then have a ride down to Cochem in Germany which is not far from the Nurburgring. My mates all being on sports bikes decided to go for a couple of laps of the "ring". Me and the Alp tagged along to see what it was all about and once there I thought " I've gotta have a go at this". Bloody loved it even though plenty of stuff was passing me including a little Suzuki car. It was only about 2 inches off the road and had ruddy great big tyres on it. Anyway that's my excuse. :D There's one or 2 corners that can catch you out but that happens anywhere. I would love to get a few laps in on a sports bike. Go for it.

Nick.
like your attitude

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”