A Lesson Learned...

Where you've been and what you done
daveuprite

A Lesson Learned...

Post by daveuprite »

Went out trail-finding yesterday. Haven't been out solo on my bike for ages, so loaded her up with emergency spares and decided to tootle rather than bomb along like a loon. I am trying to follow GR48, which is a big loop of trails that covers a lot of the Vienne department just north and east of me.

Good start. Discovered this new playground:

Most of the early trails near Adriers and Lathus St Remy look like this (note my Tour-a-Bra front pannier still supporting nicely):

After an hour and a half of trails arrived at Roc D'Enfer, which is a french national canoeing championship venue:

Spring has well and truly sprung now and the woods are full of bluebells:

So I took out my watercolours and easel, pressed some of the nicest flowers for my album and composed some poetry.

Had to get moving again eventually, so I carried on using my rolling dakar geopositioning navigation system complete with basecamp topo-cache locating software. If this system is too complicated for you to understand I can explain in more detail - just send a PM:

Got to this old mill on the Gartempe river, south of Montmorillon. There are water-powered 19th century factories like this all along the river at roughly 2km intervals:

Big old sluice gates:

The trails just go on and on. This one is actually an abandoned rural tram route and occasionally you find bits of the old rails embedded in the ground:

Eventually re-found this MX track that I remembered going to years ago. Did a couple of slow laps and reminded myself why I never took up crossing:

Then I made a big mistake. On the way home I thought I would try to find a way down to the Gartempe river where it meets the river Brame. This is s real beauty spot with kms of walking tracks, but not really a place for enduro bikes. However, being a fool, I went down into the ravine:

I kind of got sucked into following the river further and further along a track that deteriorated into just roots and boulders. Dougie Lampkin territory. My talent ran out and I was stuck:

After a brain-free hour of struggling over mossy rocks I thought to myself: 'How about leaving the bike here and walking ahead to see if it gets any better'? Well it didn't. Eventually I was faced with a wall of granite and the game was up. Totally knackered, it took 10 minutes just to get the bike turned around, pulling and hauling it like a freshly murdered cadaver. I had to retrace the 'path' and crashed to the rocky deck several times. Of course I fell on my side precisely where there is a gap in my body armour. I lay down heaving for breath and sweating like Gary Glitter's travel agent. A shining light appeared in the distance and I followed the angelic voices towards the void. I was down in the bottom of a pit in the blazing sun. And the last thing I saw was my heart, still beating, breaking out of my body and flying away...

Anyway, it wasn't a good situation. It took another hour to get out.

I have learned a valuable lesson. If you are riding on your own, with no one else for miles, keep it simple and don't be a dick, Another hour later and I was home, immersed in Mr Radox and waiting for the pain-killers to kick in. Bruised to f*ck today, but the whole episode taught me a few things. From now on I shall live by the old saying: "A rolling chef gathers no broth".
redbikejohn

Re: A Lesson Learned...

Post by redbikejohn »

Ah but any day on a bike is good 😎 especially there (he thinks jealously).
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Lovely countryside, and a mini adventure. Sounds like a brilliant day :-)
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Brill report you nutter :lol: :lol: and you picked one of the hottest days aswell :lol: :lol:
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

chunky butt wrote: ↑Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:36 am Brill report you nutter :lol: :lol: and you picked one of the hottest days aswell :lol: :lol:
We'll do most of this stuff when you come round tomorrow, Steve. But not that bloody ravine...
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Definition of 'Adventure' mate. good effort and great write up.

All I managed was 20 miles up the M5.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

Good effort - on the bike and with the pictures ;)
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Brenhden wrote: ↑Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:48 am Definition of 'Adventure' mate. good effort and great write up.

All I managed was 20 miles up the M5.
You were probably in more danger for every mile than I was all day, Bren. British motorways are an adventure too. :)
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

daveuprite wrote: ↑Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:49 am
chunky butt wrote: ↑Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:36 am Brill report you nutter :lol: :lol: and you picked one of the hottest days aswell :lol: :lol:
We'll do most of this stuff when you come round tomorrow, Steve. But not that bloody ravine...
Nice on Dave , mad as a hatter , take Steve down the ravine he will love it ;)
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

diggermanbob wrote: ↑Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:02 am
daveuprite wrote: ↑Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:49 am
Nice on Dave , mad as a hatter , take Steve down the ravine he will love it ;)
Better than taking him up the ravine I suppose.

Return to β€œRIDE REPORTS”