Iceland and Faroe Islands - Bridge Between Continents...

Where you've been and what you done
TravisGill

Iceland and Faroe Islands - Bridge Between Continents...

Post by TravisGill »

18 days in Iceland

8 days in the Faroe Islands

Background story:
Empty-nesters. Our two kids have moved out of the nest. For the first time, in the last 24 years, it’s just the two of us. Just my wife, Chantil, and me, Travis. We're just a normal 45-year-old couple scratching our heads and wondering how our kids grew up so quickly.

We sold off the cushy life we had in San Diego, California and are moving to a new life in Germany. Yes, the Europe Germany. This has included liquidating our vehicle possessions: A Nissan Xterra SUV, a Mazda Miata sports car, two Honda Ruckus scooters, and our home - our 36 foot Hunter sailboat. We’ve sold it all…

The plan started around early spring of 2017, when I mentioned, “Why don’t we make an adventure out of moving to Germany?” Fortunately, Chantil is as adventure minded, if not more, as me. The plan was hatched to try and visit somewhere on our way to Germany. But where? Perhaps the USA? Route 66? Canada?

A quick view of the world map shows a small country located between the Americas and Europe. A country smaller than the size of my home state of Colorado. A country that has recently experienced a ‘boom’ in tourism. Iceland!

I visited forums, like this one and Horizons Unlimited, and googled “shipping motorcycles USA to Iceland”. It turns out that getting to Europe from Iceland is easy. A ferry, operated by Smyril Lines (http://www.smyrilline.com/) sails from Iceland and the Faroe Islands to Denmark every week.

Getting the bikes to Iceland - a bit more problematic. Shipping bikes from the USA to Iceland can be done via air or by sea. One cargo company that offered air services is Icelandic Air Cargo. I’ve heard that shipping a motorcycle via air can be expensive but I made the call and was told that no cargo planes would be available for shipment of motorcycles during the months of August or September due to a broken plane. Onward to shipping via a ship…

The only option I found that makes regular shipments to Iceland from New England and Canada was EIMSKIP (http://www.eimskip.com/offices/north-america/usa/). There may be others, but EIMSKIP was very helpful and offered a English website detailing their shipping schedule. Originally, we had plans to ship our motorcycles from Canada, but after talking with a shipping agent, she felt it would be easier to clear customs for US registered bikes from a US port. Portland, Maine was the port of exit we decided on. Now to get the bikes to Portland…

We survived a 4,100 miles, 13 days, 12 US states, two Canadian providences, 13 relatives, and 151 gallons of gas trip from San Diego to Portland, Maine. The trip was too fast and furious to do a proper ride report, but we did meet our goal of visiting with family, and getting the bikes to their destination of Portland, Maine.

The bikes, both BMW G650GSs, and titles, were dropped off in the confident and professional hands of EIMSKIP on July 27th. We wouldn’t be seeing them again until we arrived in Iceland on August 21st…

...Here is a just a small preview of our Iceland and Faroe Island motorcycle adventure:

Beautiful waterfalls. So many waterfalls...

Reykjavík - there is no capital city further north.

Getting into some dirt via the F-roads.

The two mules - both BMW G650GSs

Two adventurers. A rainy day but still smiling.

Exploring a new country

Art and sculpture

F-roads offered isolation and a bit of a challenge.

Traditional viking homes

There's some ice in Iceland. No kidding!

Relaxing Iceland style

Gorgeous landscape

Breathtaking views

Breakdowns and fixes

Seaside views

Good eats

Churches

The land of fire and ice

Offroad adventure

Incredible scenery

Sunsets that last quite a while.

And, of course, motorcycling...
Travis & Chantil
'11 G650GS and '12 G650GS Sertao
YouTube Channel
daveuprite

Re: Iceland and Faroe Islands - Bridge Between Continents...

Post by daveuprite »

Interesting story and great pics. Thanks.
RandG

Post by RandG »

Brilliant
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Looks amazing. I have been but in a Land Rover. Spent most of the time in the interior driving around.
Was an amazing trip, apart from staying over on the Faroe's on the way back. Suddenly felt like being
on a prison Island for 2 nights :lol:
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Welcome to the forums......I hope your enjoy your time here.

Keep the pics coming.....

:D

Will It Buff Out?
Moorso
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@alternate-road

Post by Moorso »

Class!! 8-)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@alternate-road
Web: www.alternate-road.blogspot.co.uk/

Author of: 'Valhalla and the Fjörd'
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Thanks for sharing. The photo labelled 'Gorgeous landscape' is brilliant, where is that?

Cheers

Bren
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Brenhden wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:01 pm Thanks for sharing. The photo labelled 'Gorgeous landscape' is brilliant, where is that?

Cheers

Bren
Yeah, just what i was thinking. Stunning place. Imagine camping the night in there. Perfect.
TravisGill

Post by TravisGill »

qcnr wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:39 am Was an amazing trip, apart from staying over on the Faroe's on the way back. Suddenly felt like being
on a prison Island for 2 nights
We actually liked the slower pace of the Faroe Islands. It gave us a change to hike and hang out with others at the campsites.
Last edited by TravisGill on Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travis & Chantil
YouTube Channel
TravisGill

Post by TravisGill »

Brenhden wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:01 pm Thanks for sharing. The photo labelled 'Gorgeous landscape' is brilliant, where is that?
Ben, Thanks for the comment. That canyon is Fjaðrárgljúfur and it's on the south of the Island. We didn't plan on seeing it but saw a post-card and knew we needed to check it out for ourselves.
Travis & Chantil
YouTube Channel

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”