Who can remember their first big trip?

Where you've been and what you done
yodagoat

Who can remember their first big trip?

Post by yodagoat »

Who can remember their first big trip? Here's mine. I went round Europe on my 1150GS back in 2007.
It's amazing what you remember getting up to!
As always, it's on my blog

http://yodagoat.blogspot.co.uk/2018/02/ ... -alps.html

All feedback is welcome.

Cheers,

Mike
The shite I write, www.WintonMassif.co.uk

Guided tours in Scotland www.passingplacestours.com
garyboy

Re: Who can remember their first big trip?

Post by garyboy »

cracking pics 8-)
herman

Post by herman »

Yup, GS550E late eighties I reckon. I organised a trip which one by one my 'mates' dropped out of so I went anyway teaching me the important lesson that there are doers and talkers. Went to France and have loved it ever since. For some bizarre reason I thought it a good idea to change chain and sprox mid trip as when I left they were not totally worn out. :oops: I have mates now that tell me not to be a knob :?:
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

herman wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:05 pm Yup, GS550E late eighties I reckon. I organised a trip which one by one my 'mates' dropped out of so I went anyway teaching me the important lesson that there are doers and talkers. Went to France and have loved it ever since. For some bizarre reason I thought it a good idea to change chain and sprox mid trip as when I left they were not totally worn out. :oops: I have mates now that tell me not to be a knob :?:
Excellent Allan........mine a trip to Scotland on a cb750 f1 in 1979...ouch. great trip as I can remember but it pissed it down a lot.....but that's Scotland. Waxed bellstaff jacket and trousers in them days :( ........no wife,mortgage, or kids :D
yodagoat

Post by yodagoat »

Ha ha! I've had a few trips where definites become drop outs close to the leaving date. Especially if the TV is telling them the weather will be wet.
The shite I write, www.WintonMassif.co.uk

Guided tours in Scotland www.passingplacestours.com
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Mine was at 16.5 years old no idea but had the adventure spirit, rode from preston to paris and back on a restricted mt50 honda ate bread and jam :o ...slept by bike off raod side, fell in love with france then....just woke up one morning and said going fof a ride dad and yes had belstaff and just one change of clothes and all wrapped in a double dutbin linner with bungee straps :D

Owe how i wish i hadnt grown up :lol:
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Sothern Crusaders Rally back in 79 down near Lizard Point , my lile Hustler had died so jumped on the back of my mates CB 250

Eeeee them were the days .......work boots , jeans and a leather jacket ? sorry no pics didn't even have a tent :lol:

Image20180210_074043 by Philip Parkinson, on Flickr
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Around France in 1992 on a VFR750
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Tramp wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:50 am Mine was at 16.5 years old no idea but had the adventure spirit, rode from preston to paris and back on a restricted mt50 honda ate bread and jam :o ...slept by bike off raod side, fell in love with france then....just woke up one morning and said going fof a ride dad and yes had belstaff and just one change of clothes and all wrapped in a double dutbin linner with bungee straps :D

Owe how i wish i hadnt grown up :lol:
Love that story. I made the grand old age of 18 before my first bike adventure and I had graduated to an RD400, which felt like a rocket ship compared to bikes I'd had before. I also bungeed sod all to the back and shivered my way from the Thames Valley to Anglesea, to see a mate who had moved there. Bloody miserable trip using the most basic map of the UK sellotaped to the tank, but I got there and back.

First proper adventure trip didn't involve a motorbike. 1989. Hitched in cars, vans, on top of trucks, walked, took trains, boats, ferries and matatu buses etc across Africa - from Morocco/Algeria south across the Sahara via Tamanrasset, up the Niger river to Timbuktu, down to Nigeria, Cameroon, Zaire and across the central African rainforest, 1000 miles upstream on the Congo river to Kisengani, over the Ruwenzori mountains and down the E African rift valley / Uganda /Kenya/ Tanzania, then up the Indian Ocean coast on Dhows to Lamu Island. Flew home to London from Nairobi via Moscow on a cheap Aeroflot flight. Much of the route I took is now impossible due to various wars and restrictions. You can't really take the central Saharan southerly route any more and the Congo has been allowed to silt up making the DRC riverboat trip almost impossible nowadays too. Big adventure. Lots of danger and hard times, but SO rewarding, and I don't go a week today without thinking back to that 9 month trip in some way or other.
Last edited by daveuprite on Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Wow dream trip there Daveuprite.
I was a late starter but having got the mortgage, kids and career out the way my first bike trip wasn't until 2006 when we did the West coast of Scotland on an f650 ....... by 2009 I was in Morocco on my 1200gs.
Turning 55 this year and really fancy stepping out of my comfort zone before it's too late, not sure what/where or even if it involves a bike :?
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”