HISS 2018 - the 'Official Ride Report(s)

Where you've been and what you done
daveuprite

Re: HISS 2018 - the 'Official Ride Report(s)

Post by daveuprite »

I am spadger wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 6:02 pm Now Simon , thanks again for the help re TET and also putting together the routes around la pobla , I for one totally appreciate the time and effort you put into the HISS , supplying us routes invaluable advice etc and the few quid you charge for the effort is nothing compared to the pain it takes away from researching legal routes etc , in our forth year now and still not disappointed ( we can’t blame you for the weather ) as far as I’m concerned yea ok the trails are free , but the help advice and associated route planning is invaluable, the HISS is a great event long may it continue ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Spadg - if you look at the snow ridge line in your second pic and go to the extreme left of the photo, over the other side of there is where we got stuck and couldn't continue on the last day. So we probably both got within 150 metres of the top from different sides. I've done the whole trail in September a couple of times and it's a great route which joins up so many other trails. But twas not to be this May...
pip

Post by pip »

Just in time for the HISS I picked up my bike in Barcelona, hoping to use some of the TET tracks to get to La Pobla de Segur. Unfortunately, after about 13 miles the route was blocked. I was pointed to a single track leading down the side of the mountain, but this was soon blocked by fallen trees. In the end I had to backtrack all the way to the highway.
The night brought a thunderstorm with torrential rainfalls. I had brought a tiny, old tent, nicknamed the Dackelgarage (wiener dog garage). It was suitable for the desert, but failed to keep the rain outside, it literally rained inside as well. In the morning, I threw away the tent and spend some hours drying my stuff.
Back on the road I realized that it was Sunday and thus unlikely that I would be able to buy a replacement tent. I am very thankful to Simon and Polly who offered to borrow me their tent!

The next morning, Simon introduced us to the HISS trails. Paul and I then teamed up to explore. Riding an older Aprilia Pegaso, he led in a way that I had to push hard to keep up at times.
The landscapes were grandious.
For the next days, Tim and Scott joint us with another Africa Twin and a XT660Z Tenere. This slowed us down enough that we could actually notice the scenery here and there without being stopped.
Paul, Tim and Scott (from left to right)
Sometimes we had to stop for cross-traffic.
At some point, Tim wanted to show that he could crash without breaking a leg, so we teamed up to lift his bike.
The next day we tried some tracks which had just recently been cleared from falled trees.
In his introduction, Simon had told us many geological details about the area, so Paul decided to bring a soil sample.
More great views
This space intentionally left blank.
pip

Post by pip »

Tim and Scott couldn't ride all week with us, so it was only Paul and me on the 4th day. We had picked a route including a visit to a motorcycle museum. Simon looked at our plans and commented, that there were 2 parallel tracks leading down the mountains, one of which steep with large rocks, while the other should be much easier. Maybe I misunderstood him or he had mixed them up, but we definitely passed some steep descends with large, loose rocks ...
The museum had an interesting collection, especially Spanish or maybe Italian models.
I liked this old photo:
On our way back we went down a trail which obviously hadn't been used for quite a while. It was in bad condition, and we stopped to read to check its description as we aimed to avoid the challenging parts with our heavy bikes.
We struggled a bit with the mud puddles, and when we came to a steep ascent, we decided to continue as we weren't sure whether we could turn back. Also, we expected to be back on asphalt within a mile. The combination of loose rocks, water and mud was a bit too much for me and the heavy Africa Twin. My K60 tires had 4500 miles already, which didn't help either. So I got stuck on a slippery part, right next to a foot-deep hole. Of course, the photo doesn't show how steep it was - the GPS recorded 45% gradient.
We discussed ways around the hole and tried filling it up with stones. It would have been so easy if the ground had been dry. This all took a while and we noticed dark clouds and some lightning on the horizon. Unsure whether we would be back before sunset, we contacted Simon to see if there was anybody nearby who could help. In the meantime, I rigged up a pulley system, so we could slowly pull the bike across the hole. Riding would require speed, and I really didn't want to crash here ...
We slowly made our way up the mountain, almost a 1000ft according to the topo map. The track surprised us with more slippery sections and even some rocky steps - I later realized that Simon's description was written going the other way. Quite exhausted, I asked Paul if he'd be interested to ride the Africa Twin up the next steep bit. He agreed, but gave in after five feet ...
At the top we informed Simon that we were back on asphalt and put on raingear for the way back.
For the last day, we decided to take it easy, so we joined a group for a trip to Andorra.
Then it was time to watch people trying to pack their stuff and say good bye.
Our routes:
Interesting observations:
- Nobody brings a BMW to the HISS.
- Englishmen all have gray hair (if any).
Last edited by pip on Thu May 31, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pip

Post by pip »

The next day, friends from Germany arrived for another week of trail riding. Our originial plan was to follow the TET, but the overall bad weather forecast made us change our minds. We looked into other areas, but eventually decided to do daytours around the Isabena valley. Markus and Andreas had trailered a pair of CCMs, one of which was a supermoto with 17" TKC80s. The rain and mud was again our main problem from day one.
The other problem came from the CCMs. I have quite a few photos with removed body parts. Having owned his CCM for many years, Andreas was prepared and carried a spare for almost every electrical part on the bike: wires, fuses, relays, switches ... even an ECU.
A new battery finally made an end to most of the issues with the bike, so we could get back on the trails.
Even the sun came out again. We choose a route to the Castillo de Finestres, also known as the 'Chinese Wall'. Instead of staying on the nice, wide track (as indicated on signs), we followed the GPS which lead us down another very steep rocky trail. Then, it took us three attempts to find a way back out, before we decided to just stay on the nice, wide track ...
With temperatures reaching 30C, Andreas decided that he wanted to see some snow. Up on the pass, his front brake started to loose pressure.
The brake showed no visible damage and bleeding didn't help either, so we cut the trip short. After two more days on and off the highways I got back home. The K60 lasted 6200 miles and definitely need to be replaced.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

herman wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 6:48 pm Simon someone is trying to contact you ref bike storage on ADV but the site goes down for two days shortly 8-)
Thanks Herman, just seen that! :)
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

daveuprite wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:06 pmHey Spadg - if you look at the snow ridge line in your second pic and go to the extreme left of the photo, over the other side of there is where we got stuck and couldn't continue on the last day. So we probably both got within 150 metres of the top from different sides. I've done the whole trail in September a couple of times and it's a great route which joins up so many other trails. But twas not to be this May...
Ha ha, so you guys need new avatar names, how about Mallory and Irvine - I'll get me coat!

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

A fantastic ride report Pip and great to meet you again - in somewhat more positive circumstances too methinks ... 8-)

You'll be pleased to know that apart from three days last week it has continued to rain every day up in the Pyrenees - luckily for us those three days coincided with this stage of rebuilding our house:

Phew!!! But we're still too busy to do any riding. However the good news is that I did find time to finish the TET Great East Route, which hopefully will be available to download one the weekend and purely coincidentally - honest! :) - it links the two HISS venues by brilliant trails. Similarly it uses some of the best trails from each of the HISS areas. Here's the Spain TET as it will be from now onwards, The GER is red and green while the original Great North Route is entirely in red:

Note that I haven't included the Portugal TET which ties up with the Spanish ones at each end of the country

The trails to the north and east of the intersection are snowbound pretty much all winter - and once section if officially closed November to May anyway - hibernating bears don't y' know! - but the rest is usually open all winter making a 'round trip' possible from where people want to enter Spain. Note that a large chuck of the GER south of the Aragon HISS is closed to motors all summer ...

The point where the two coincide? Obvious really:

I'll be setting up a sort of geocache there for people to write comments in a guest book ...

Regs

Simon

WIBO

Post by WIBO »

pip wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:10 pm The next day, friends from Germany arrived for another week of trail riding. Our originial plan was to follow the TET, but the overall bad weather forecast made us change our minds. We looked into other areas, but eventually decided to do daytours around the Isabena valley. Markus and Andreas had trailered a pair of CCMs, one of which was a supermoto with 17" TKC80s. The rain and mud was again our main problem from day one.
The other problem came from the CCMs. I have quite a few photos with removed body parts. Having owned his CCM for many years, Andreas was prepared and carried a spare for almost every electrical part on the bike: wires, fuses, relays, switches ... even an ECU.
A new battery finally made an end to most of the issues with the bike, so we could get back on the trails.
Even the sun came out again. We choose a route to the Castillo de Finestres, also known as the 'Chinese Wall'. Instead of staying on the nice, wide track (as indicated on signs), we followed the GPS which lead us down another very steep rocky trail. Then, it took us three attempts to find a way back out, before we decided to just stay on the nice, wide track ...
With temperatures reaching 30C, Andreas decided that he wanted to see some snow. Up on the pass, his front brake started to loose pressure.
The brake showed no visible damage and bleeding didn't help either, so we cut the trip short. After two more days on and off the highways I got back home. The K60 lasted 6200 miles and definitely need to be replaced.
Great snaps.... :D

It's been the wettest here this time of year since thirty years......normally I ride those same trails in hard pack at this time.....even the snow is lingering on late.....normally its more or less all gone by now!!! Well done.

( No video yet from Willy Spray? )

:D
Will It Buff Out?
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

pip wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:49 pm Tim and Scott couldn't ride all week with us, so it was only Paul and me on the 4th day. We had picked a route including a visit to a motorcycle museum. Simon looked at our plans and commented, that there were 2 parallel tracks leading down the mountains, one of which steep with large rocks, while the other should be much easier. Maybe I misunderstood him or he had mixed them up, but we definitely passed some steep descends with large, loose rocks ...
Yes, that's the 'Nemesis Trail' Pip. If I remember well I suggested the other one and then ride back up from the Museum on The Road That Time Forgot road route. But as it turned out you found another 'nemesis' trail. Maybe I'll call it 'Pip's Pothole' :)
pip wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:49 pm- Englishmen all have gray hair (if any).
And some of the women - but you'll remember Mrs S's flowing honey blonde locks - all genuine! - but of course she's Scottish! :D :D :D

Regs

Simon

bowber

Post by bowber »

Anyone got Phil's contact details? He has the other KTM 400 that was much tidier than mine :)
Or if you have contact with him please let him know I'm trying to contact him.

Thanks
Steve

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”