HISS 2018 - the 'Official Ride Report(s)

Where you've been and what you done
Post Reply
Simon_100
Posts: 7366
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:02 pm
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 112 times

HISS 2018 - the 'Official Ride Report(s)

Post by Simon_100 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:47 am

Well folks are booking up and I've decided to roll all of the reports into one as so many enquiries are common to all.

Dates and locations below and the details on my web site here:

May 14th – 18th. HISS Catalonia. La Pobla de Segur, Lleida

September 10th – 14th. HISS Catalonia. La Pobla de Segur, Lleida

September 17th – 21st. HISS Aragon. Formiche Alto, Teruel

Bring it on folks! :D :D :D

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service



*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain

Adventure Bike Rider New Issue Out Now
User avatar
bowber
Posts: 2127
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:48 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 126 times

Re: HISS 2018 - the 'Official Ride Report(s)

Post by bowber » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:00 am

A question for the regular HISSers, I've asked Simon but he thinks it'd be better asked here.

I'm booked into the May HISS and I'm planning to use my KTM 400 which has about an 80 miles range, maybe a bit more but you know how it is when you fall over and loose a bit here and there :oops:
So what sort of distances are people covering between fill ups, am I needing to look for a bigger fuel tank?

Steve

daveuprite
Posts: 2160
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:47 pm
Location: Limousin France
Has thanked: 989 times
Been thanked: 1237 times

Re: HISS 2018 - the 'Official Ride Report(s)

Post by daveuprite » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:33 am

bowber wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:00 am
A question for the regular HISSers, I've asked Simon but he thinks it'd be better asked here.

I'm booked into the May HISS and I'm planning to use my KTM 400 which has about an 80 miles range, maybe a bit more but you know how it is when you fall over and loose a bit here and there :oops:
So what sort of distances are people covering between fill ups, am I needing to look for a bigger fuel tank?

Steve
Hi Steve. I've done the Pobla HISS three times on a DRZ400E and I'll be there on a Beta 450RR this May (see you there!). Riding with mates on stuff like WRF250, Beta 400 (same engine as yours), KTM350, BMW450X etc etc only on a couple of the days out did we top the bikes up at filling stations, and none of us ever actually ran dry. There would be no harm in taking a one litre fuel flask in your pack and a length of tubing for siphoning just in case, but we've never needed to use either.

On one outing a few years back we planned a longer day out and I strapped a 4 litre plastic can to the back of my DRZ, for us to share. By the time we'd ridden over all the rocks to the top of Espot pass it had gone! Fallen off. It started a forest fire and burned down most of Catalunya killing thousands. So I probably won't be doing that again...

Nico-D
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:52 am
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 185 times

Re: HISS 2018 - the 'Official Ride Report(s)

Post by Nico-D » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:43 pm

daveuprite wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:33 am
On one outing a few years back we planned a longer day out and I strapped a 4 litre plastic can to the back of my DRZ, for us to share. By the time we'd ridden over all the rocks to the top of Espot pass it had gone! Fallen off. It started a forest fire and burned down most of Catalunya killing thousands. So I probably won't be doing that again...
Oh don't exaggerate so Dave, it was only a 1.5 litre fuel bottle.. :roll: ( and forest fires are no laughing matter )

Bowber, not worth getting a big tank imo, as Dave says just carry a 1-2 litre reserve bottle if you want. I did the hiss a few years back on my old beta 400 with the same rfs engine as yours, quite easy to get 18-20 km/litre in my experience on that stony pyrennean terrain,( though I am a dwarf ) I was running 14/50 gearing which is fine for there. Think Simon gives out coordinates of fuel stations with the tracks so plan accordingly.

Only other tip I can give is don't take navigation advice off Dave... :D

daveuprite
Posts: 2160
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:47 pm
Location: Limousin France
Has thanked: 989 times
Been thanked: 1237 times

Re: HISS 2018 - the 'Official Ride Report(s)

Post by daveuprite » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:50 pm

Nico-D wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:43 pm
daveuprite wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:33 am
On one outing a few years back we planned a longer day out and I strapped a 4 litre plastic can to the back of my DRZ, for us to share. By the time we'd ridden over all the rocks to the top of Espot pass it had gone! Fallen off. It started a forest fire and burned down most of Catalunya killing thousands. So I probably won't be doing that again...
Only other tip I can give is don't take navigation advice off Dave... :D
That's jolly good advice in itself.

'Naughty Elephants Squirt Water'...

Simon_100
Posts: 7366
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:02 pm
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 112 times

Re: HISS 2018 - the 'Official Ride Report(s)

Post by Simon_100 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:28 pm

Nico-D wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:43 pm
... Think Simon gives out coordinates of fuel stations with the tracks so plan accordingly.
That's right, the fuel stops are part of the .gpx files.

Glad to know you guys didn't really have too much trouble - the 'Silent Enduro' test helps of course - over to you Dave! :D - but there are a few limitations, IMHO, e.g. around the Val Fosca. I ride around on my Beta Alp 200, which only has about 8 litres but then it runs of fresh air ... but I'm about to buy a 6 lites Acerbis tail tank for dong the TET on it after the HISS! :P :P :P

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service



*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain

Broken Jones
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:32 pm
Location: Rugby
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: HISS 2018 - the 'Official Ride Report(s)

Post by Broken Jones » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:29 pm

Hi Steve,

I did the 2017 Catalonia HISS on a 2004 KTM 400 (RFS) with 13:52 gearing

Here are the distances/litres for the fuel stops I made out on the trails around Pobla.

61 miles/5.89 litres
60 miles/5.48 litres
66.2 miles/7.01 litres
50.8 miles/4.89 litres
56.2 miles/4.23 litres

14:50 gearing gives me 2-4 mpg more than 13:52.

The original tank holds 8 litres from brim full to empty. I was using a 13 litre KTM RFS 'XC' tank, but could have done the Catalonia HISS on the standard tank + 1-2 litres of spare fuel.

Best wishes,

Phil

Simon_100
Posts: 7366
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:02 pm
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 112 times

Re: HISS 2018 - the 'Official Ride Report(s)

Post by Simon_100 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:46 pm

Broken Jones wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:29 pm
Hi Steve,

I did the 2017 Catalonia HISS on a 2004 KTM 400 (RFS) with 13:52 gearing

Here are the distances/litres for the fuel stops I made out on the trails around Pobla.

61 miles/5.89 litres
60 miles/5.48 litres
66.2 miles/7.01 litres
50.8 miles/4.89 litres
56.2 miles/4.23 litres

14:50 gearing gives me 2-4 mpg more than 13:52.

The original tank holds 8 litres from brim full to empty. I was using a 13 litre KTM RFS 'XC' tank, but could have done the Catalonia HISS on the standard tank + 1-2 litres of spare fuel.

Best wishes,

Phil
Nice one Phil! :)

I think the knack is not to fill up before you leave but as close as possible to some of the more remote trails ...

Interesting daily 'mileage' though - I know you don't hang about!

Meanwhile, can't guarantee these trails just yet but this is the area I'm 'expanding' into ...



Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service



*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain

User avatar
bowber
Posts: 2127
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:48 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 126 times

Re: HISS 2018 - the 'Official Ride Report(s)

Post by bowber » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:45 pm

I'll probably be ok then, I got 72 miles from 5.3ltrs this weekend, 14:48 gearing and quite a bit of road work.
I find the std gearing is fine for trail riding but I might go to 50 if there is a lot of tight trails.

Steve

peterpan241
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:22 pm
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: HISS 2018 - the 'Official Ride Report(s)

Post by peterpan241 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:48 am

Interested in the September soiree & then drift South West to follow the Touratech Portugal Trail South to North. I'm trying to max riding with least time off from work, has anyone a booking on the Portsmouth to Santander crossing on 14th September with room in a cabin please?
Adventure before Dementia

Post Reply

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests