Beta bodge in Limousin

Where you've been and what you done
daveuprite

Beta bodge in Limousin

Post by daveuprite »

Had another great day of blasting about in Haute Vienne today (with KTM Matt and Chunky Steve). From my place in Saint Bonnet De Bellac down to Mortemart and then up into the Monts De Blond. Lots of rocks and roots hidden by autumn leaves, forest trails, lakes and slush.

Despite having all of rural South West France to charge about in, two of us managed to run into each other! Matt pollaxed me from behind and we both hit the deck. Amongst other things my clutch lever snapped, but we managed to bodge on this spark plug socket and it worked bloody well actually. They should sell em like that from new....

chunky butt

Re: Beta bodge in Limousin

Post by chunky butt »

Proper bodgeing, if only we had had a bit of gaffer tape..... :lol: :lol:
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Pitty i couldn'tmake it , bloody work ,anyway sounds like a good one ............... good bodge but an extra clutch lever under the seat is well worth it ;)
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

good one that 8-) i like it
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Yeah I've got 3 more levers ordered from 24MX, now in the post. So will carry a spare from now on.

It was a very effective bodge actually. 3 or 4 cable ties plus Steve's inspired idea of a bungy to restore the right lever return pressure all worked perfectly. We did some nadgery ascents afterwards so lots of clutch-work to do and it felt great with just 2 fingers (Beta 450 clutch is hydraulic). In fact I wouldn't mind a redesigned clutch lever with a more rounded circumference all the time .
Last edited by daveuprite on Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig-SM

Post by Craig-SM »

Nice area where you are. I've stayed around there a few times at Bellac and Chez Four, a tiny hamlet further west where a relative has property but unfortunately ill health has brought her back to the UK. All not far from another nice place and my favourite drink, Cognac especially Camus.
Think I may have to have a drink of theirs tonight.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Craig-SM wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:38 pm Nice area where you are. I've stayed around there a few times at Bellac and Chez Four, a tiny hamlet further west where a relative has property but unfortunately ill health has brought her back to the UK. All not far from another nice place and my favourite drink, Cognac especially Camus.
Think I may have to have a drink of theirs tonight.
Yeah, we like it here Craig. Although you have to be happy with rural isolation and not much going on. As you will probably remember Bellac is hardly rocking, but it has all we need. After nearly 10 years I've found most of my local trails now and started stringing together some chemins further afield. Virtually unlimited trail riding out here - it's ace. Let us know if you're out here with a dirt bike and you can come out with us in the mud.

Steve (Chunkybutt) lives nearer to Cognac (and he's a very good customer of the local produce ... :lol: ).
Craig-SM

Post by Craig-SM »

First time we went to Bellac we stayed at a B&B a few miles out. We went into town and found the cafe run by a Brit family down by the river, virtually below the church. It was a very nice day and one or two cold ones became quite a few. We then found out that taxis don’t not run on a Sunday and had to walk back. It was a long walk back, even longer when the nice day turned into thunderstorms :|

I can’t actually remember seeing many motorbikes in that area but since the wife is now happy to go on the bike again sounds like a good excuse to visit again. The KTM 1190 might be a bit of a handful in the mud though :shock:

To get Chunkybutt’s mouth watering
43ADC498-3F99-4DCB-8532-0FA9BDDDCC1D.jpeg
43ADC498-3F99-4DCB-8532-0FA9BDDDCC1D.jpeg (174.94 KiB) Viewed 3313 times
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Camus.......oh dear...bloody gorgeous ....if I didn't have a touch of gout and the mo id have a nip with you Craig......my neighbour sells cognac for e7- a litre, not in the same category as camus, but plenty good enough especially with a mixer ( cognac Schweppes) as dave knows.....lost a few days with cognac......superb :D :D :D ...trails, what trails? :lol: :lol:
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

First time we went to Bellac we stayed at a B&B a few miles out. We went into town and found the cafe run by a Brit family down by the river, virtually below the church.
Yes, know it well. On Bastille night the fireworks are held down there. Nice spot.

The last time Chunky fed me Cognac Schweppes, I passed out in the back of my van at Phil's place and then at about 5am I was woken up by my own hangover.

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”