EDC 2017 Maroc Ride Report

Where you've been and what you done
scoobydidler

Re: EDC 2017 Maroc Ride Report

Post by scoobydidler »

WIBO wrote:
videoman wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:03 am Great video and looking forward to the next one.

Just wondered how I think it was Dave went on on his CRF250 Rally in comparison with the other larger bikes.

Objectively speaking, to me,it seemed tight enough going on the autoroute both to keep up and pass faster traffic.......limped home slowly on a burnt out clutch after only a few kms of softer going.

Other than that it from what I observed to coped well at slower on and off road speeds ........missing the over 600cc bikes ability to cruise and also power and or torque their way out of deeper going.

Sheep skin on saddle meant standard is inadequate for sustained riding?.... Don't know if it would be able to pull higher gearing to assist without research?.......Cycle shorts would assist no doubt too?

Would benefit from a centre stand I'd say in case of e.g. a puncture and when resting on soft going......easy to drop over.

Good cycle parts etc as usual for Honda..... nice package.

The moto that gave a great account of itself especially on the road twisties was the CCM450. of Bob.......what a safe and progressive rider... a rocket on the road!!!....nimble and fast......like a BMX with 50bhp.....hard enough for my old XT to keep up and the odd bigger bike. What a surprise!!!

If they could shoe horn a plus 600cc motor it would be even better IMO!!!

Amen to that re Bob. Great to ride with and does take some keeping with!

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

WIBO

Post by WIBO »

After this difficult section it changes to hard pack...if you run out of daylight due to this section......wild camping is easy..check teh GPS for sunset and an hour maximum before same, make camp....simple...

There is a route if you know it, that will cut out more of this kind of softer stuff.......

The more flat going is somewhat easier....

There is however the odd section of goofy stuff if you stray.....when you feel the moto sink in the rear stop at once..it will not pull itself out but will dig in more.....to extract...put moto onto its side and fill the hole at the rear wheel with sand using your boot....pick the moto up and it'll then be high enough to normally pull itself out.

We get close to the finish of the fesh-fesh and where we'll hot hard pack again....WELL DONE to everyone!!!!!..... ...you've no choice but to keep going and everyone gets that.

Just when you think you're on hard pack for good there's a shirt section off silty going before youth hard pack for real...lol.

We'll pick up the hard pack for a spell then find a place to wild camp.

Will It Buff Out?
rodyorkabr

Post by rodyorkabr »

I've been away from biking and subsequently this site for the last 06 months...but to return to this jewel is fantastic!
The write up, the photographs, the video the camaraderie and the concept of interacting with the locals, makes this write up excellent.
How many in total went?...
I get the feeling that a lack of water played a part somewhere in the future?

Brilliant!
Barftone

Post by Barftone »

Well done all. Nailed it! B&W shots great.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Excellent pics 8-) 8-) 8-)

Will read report soon :)
royle100

Post by royle100 »

Trip was awesome. Huge thanks to Keith and Al.

Desert riding was great, especially on the salt pan type surface (sand not so much!).
IMG_0409 (2).jpg
IMG_0409 (2).jpg (120.82 KiB) Viewed 2620 times
IMG_0384 (3).jpg
IMG_0384 (3).jpg (107.9 KiB) Viewed 2620 times
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."....Easy Rider
aliwakeskate

Post by aliwakeskate »

rodyorkabr wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:30 am I've been away from biking and subsequently this site for the last 06 months...but to return to this jewel is fantastic!
The write up, the photographs, the video the camaraderie and the concept of interacting with the locals, makes this write up excellent.

Brilliant!

You hit the nail on the head there Rod!

The camaraderie amongst the group and interaction with the locals is everything on a trip like this. If you don't get involved with the group around you or at least try to interact with some of the locals then you miss out on so much... a smile and a handshake is sometimes all that is needed (with both the locals and the gang of misfits around you!)

WIBO

Post by WIBO »

rodyorkabr wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:30 am I've been away from biking and subsequently this site for the last 06 months...but to return to this jewel is fantastic!

Brilliant!
Thanks for the kind words.......I hope you've found a way to get back onto bikes......I'd noticed your absence :D

I've never had a problem of finding water in Maroc en route ever.............but......I always have the the standard, usual problem of 'Europeans' not wanting to buy water ( because its a whole 80p per 1.5 litres more instead of 60p.........the locals have to get it out to their isolated premises somehow.........erm........that's why you pay..... 'way over the odds ' .... a whole 20p or 23p or more !!!! ...........lol..................you're in the middle of the fecking desert in Africa..........not Tesco's ' price crunch' in the '' Little Princess Kingdom of European Comfort'....as explained in page one of my invite........hee hee ) You leave yourself open for ridicule if deserved... lol

.....this and some riders not wanting to carry same because they have to spend time strapping it down.....a whole five minutes extra .....imagine......

Every one is over 18yrs old.......it's their call..... :D

Once riders have an experience they'll be able to return by themselves or with their friends and know for next time... That's what it's all about, learning, understanding , knowing and recognising..... job done....... great!!!!

:D
Will It Buff Out?
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Great report and photos Keith, excellent reading on a cold winter night ;)
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Thanks......oh..........don't worry...............there's more idiot behaviour ..............imbeciles ............................

Will It Buff Out?

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”