EDC 2017 Maroc Ride Report

Where you've been and what you done
WIBO

Re: EDC 2017 Maroc, Africa Ride Report

Post by WIBO »

So...this years free ride out went well in my opinion.......no one got bitten by vampire giraffes (well not much anyway ), severely injured, kidnapped, murdered, thrown in jail or had to crawl for miles on their hands and knees to escape the tortuous desert.....there might be a member who might ride a KTM and who might be 54 and is very, very envious, on this forum and who'd be disappointed to hear that; Believe it or not!!......yes!!!,......... on this very 'Adventure Bike Rider' forum!!

To that I say stay at home in your Little Princess Kingdom of Europe, read about it and criticise others for having the 'spirit of adventure' by going to Africa......donkey-head.

Here is the same ' Little Princess ' who has 'Orange' hair......

2366477.main_image.jpg
2366477.main_image.jpg (170.23 KiB) Viewed 2764 times

We'd rendezvous with the French wing of the EDC as they were scouting out fast plain riding routes on the Plateau de Rekkam that would allow them to join us in Merzouga and where we'd ride together to Zagora.

In true EDC goat fashion the list of stupidity was ever growing.......

The plan was to rendezvous either at my house or in our usual clean hostel in Spain halfway south. There was some debate about ferry timings due to storms that battered the UK. Ultimately it all worked out fine with one rider staying with me and with us then meeting the others in Spain as Caceres.

Dave rode everyday to me from disembarking at Holland, He arrived tired with a small oil leak from an oil line on his Africa Twin. A couple of O rings were changed out and he was good to go.

He was first to get a free sticker.

Look at his hair.!!!!..........we'll have to get that sorted out by a Senior Stylist later...

We went out for a pizza and to go on a mini bender before leaving the next morning bound for Spain...here Dave is propping up my fireplace with the aid of a bottle of whiskey he brought me as a thank you...it'd be shame not to taste it

At least it wasn't raining as usual, the next morning......Dave was happy as he'd already ridden four millions kms just to get to me.

Off we rode over the scenic peaks of Col du Pourtalet and Snowdon, bound for Caceres via Zaragoza, Rome and Madrid where we'd meet up with those same others. Some one else will chime in to explain any moments of stupidity that might have occurred en route.

After a long day riding 47,008kms we arrived at the hostel. I was astounded at some of the hairstyles I must say.

A short dander up into the town centre for a beer and food in the square, after introductions....all the children were happy to be on the field trip.

We'd all be up early the next day for breakfast, a fuel up and to head south to Algeciras via Seville

Clean,decent rooms.

The Honda Dominator had been cutting out of and on which was finally traced to a faulty new NGK spark plug. The old one in reserve, was installed to cure the problem.

We stood here and there for food and fuel riding in good weather.

Oh look....some bikes.

After meeting up at the moto car park, tickets were purchased by most of us at the offices in the Terminal Building,

Goat moment...... I lost my balance and dropped my bike...stationary of course and snapped my mirror off. The last time I did that was at a fuel pump and broke the same side mirror.... bbbaaaaaaaaaaa :D

We queue up, chat and wait for the ferry.

Tim was caught on trying to siphon fuel fro; a ;lorry he'd parked beside whilst waiting on the ferry.......he was disappointed when .we told him his bike used petrol and not diesel and that he'd have to empty it al back into the lorry

Last edited by WIBO on Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 32 times in total.
Will It Buff Out?
aliwakeskate

Re: EDC 2017 Maroc Ride Report

Post by aliwakeskate »

I'll chime in here if I may...

I don't believe there were any moments of stupidity heading to the ferry in the UK. I don't think anyone spent months preparing a bike for the trip, only to roll it out the garage on their morning of departure and for it's clutch to make some strange noises as they rode up the road. Not something I think happened at all...

I don't even think they jumped on their spare bike bound for the UK needing brake pads. And what are the chances that they would get bent over by BMW to replace said pads? If that were to happen, I don't think they'd be forking out over £100 for the privilege, would they? Nope. Didn't think so.

I guess they wouldn't get stuck for accommodation and decide to sleep in the motorway services off the M5 on a cold October night. I'm sure they would find a nice quiet spot, not right near where all the lorries come in and right near a big fan? I bet they would be freezing cold, wouldn't they? And I bet in the morning when they got up and walked round the other side of the fan to find out that side was blowing out lovely warm air, they wouldn't be the slightest bit annoyed?

Couldn't have happened....could it???

boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Sounds interesting to say the very least :lol:
one-legged adventurer
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

P1010996.JPG
P1010996.JPG (138.21 KiB) Viewed 2730 times
I don't think Crofty got lost at all and had to ask the way in the dangerous desert
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

P1010974.JPG
P1010974.JPG (139.01 KiB) Viewed 2730 times
I don't believe any of these guys nearly died of dysentery or food poisoning and couldn't move from their sick beds for days
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

aliwakeskate wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:16 pm I'll chime in here if I may...

I don't believe there were any moments of stupidity heading to the ferry in the UK. I don't think anyone spent months preparing a bike for the trip, only to roll it out the garage on their morning of departure and for it's clutch to make some strange noises as they rode up the road. Not something I think happened at all...

I don't even think they jumped on their spare bike bound for the UK needing brake pads. And what are the chances that they would get bent over by BMW to replace said pads? If that were to happen, I don't think they'd be forking out over £100 for the privilege, would they? Nope. Didn't think so.

I guess they wouldn't get stuck for accommodation and decide to sleep in the motorway services off the M5 on a cold October night. I'm sure they would find a nice quiet spot, not right near where all the lorries come in and right near a big fan? I bet they would be freezing cold, wouldn't they? And I bet in the morning when they got up and walked round the other side of the fan to find out that side was blowing out lovely warm air, they wouldn't be the slightest bit annoyed?

Couldn't have happened....could it???

They weren't charged by NCP the next morning for being cheapskates ?

:D

Will It Buff Out?
aliwakeskate

Post by aliwakeskate »

I can't see NCP charging them £12 each for the privilege of sleeping in a motorway services overnight? Can you??? That'd would be too far fetched a story...wouldn't it?
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

I'M TELLING YOU ........................THERE'S NO WAY YOU GET ME OUT THERE :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Looking good so far, got to get back there some day. ... :D
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Of course it took ages to get though customs as usual.......we laze about at Tanger Med waiting for all of us to get through, knowing that the Insurance office had closed.

Justin looks at the map to confirm we're in Morocco......

I told a few stories about previous attacks by vampire giraffes to while away the time and some were frightened....I explained there were high fences around the port that were taller than the giraffes, which appeared to settle a few down somewhat.

After a chat with a local man, there might be a local in the town that can get insurance.......so off Al and I go in a beat up car, returning about 45mins later, to no avail.

A few start to cry and after a while they settle down with the promise of a bedtime story later.

I lead us all to an hotel I know a few hundred metres form the port where those who want to check in, do so, until buying insurance the next day. I ride on to Asilah with Bob on his MCC 450 to meet up with Tony on his WMB 1500 The rest will RV with us the next morning.

As predicted they arrived with.....and with no goat stuff going on.

Last edited by WIBO on Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will It Buff Out?

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”