EDC 2017 Maroc Ride Report

Where you've been and what you done
WIBO

Re: EDC 2017 Maroc Ride Report

Post by WIBO »

We ride back at different times as others cruise about exploring. The French wing of the EDC arrive late afternoon and meet up.....Christophe reports a few hundred kms of great, fluid and fast plains riding from the north that they'd scouted out for next time. Great!!...we'll need a whiskey and a Rocard later after they get settled in.

Julien, Joel, Francois and Christophe park up...Francois in the 80 Series Toyota.

Joel fettles.....

Before dinner, Francois produces the best whiskey, of course being Irish.....along with the classic French Ricard....an we have a taste...

Dinner is a collective affair with good craic and banter....

Last edited by WIBO on Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

We had fuelled up the previous day to enable an early start.....after breakfast we head 30 odd klicks to Taouz by tarmac and to where we'll pick up the piste bound for Zagora.

Some eat more than others......and lament the absence of an Ulster Fry....they say the breakfast is too healthy.

Before leaving I explain to Scottish Steve as to why Irish whiskey is better than Scotch........I explain that the first distillery was established in 1609 in Bushmills in Ulster long before any Scottish set up....I was able to point out that Irish whiskey was better simply because we know how to spell the word and if the Scots can't even spell it correctly how can they ever be expected to make it correctly....... :lol:

I check that my GPS has a Maroc map in it and not one of Southern Ireland.....Justin thinks we're in Essex for some reason.

A short briefing on what to expect and what to do is held to include the dangers of vampire giraffes and to make sure every one has enough hair gel and styling tongs.

Some check their baggage frantically just in case.....

We'll meet up with the French wing of the EDC later as they will leave later after a proper rest.

>

Will It Buff Out?
Heff

Post by Heff »

Excellent stuff ;)

Next instalment please :D
If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

The vast majority of the going is on hard pack stone lane.

Tyre pressures need to be inflated to avoid sharp edge stone punctures/nips here and there.....for all the amount of sand in comparison it's essential tyres are pumped up to avoid punctures...this can not be stressed enough........ e.g. four punctures means for hours lost....hence the reason for being self sufficient in the way of very light camping.

Minium of four bottles of water and 1,5L in your camel bak.....here I've already gone though one this morning. The alloy bottle can hold wine if need be..... :D :D a full 1 L

Here I can have all my kit without a top box i.e. more weight.......rear rack just for water.

We ride for a spell and regroup.......ride for a spell and regroup....bound for Ouzina for a tea stop. I advise to top up water if need be.

The going gets softer here and there after fast going as we approach ..... nice silt as we cross a dried up river bed to Ouzina village. The kids come out to laugh

Of course whilst everyone is watching a moto here and there is dropped...pics first then assistance...

Once we get through the village and a tad more fesh-fesh we get to the tea stop....

Justin explains how to ride a KTM in real life rather than Starbucks....

Gregg plays the drums.....badly

From here we'll crew up and head to a massive, flat, and dry lake bed before Ramlia......for another coke, tea and water stop.....there's fuel here if need be, from a container.

The going here is soft silty stretches

The bike will fall over all by itself as you ride along day dreaming...well, that's what happens to me anyway.

Benefits of a centre stand on soft going.....

baaaaaaa

We arrive the lake bed for some pictures and a chat.......every one agrees that XT's are the best......

Justin wasn't warm enough so he put on a balaclava

....and yet Mary Poppins thinks it's going to rain....

A old curious camel herder arrives...I chat but it's in signs only as he doesn't speak French and I don't speak Arabic..my bad.

I give him some sweets and as my camping cooker is full I give him 2 litres of fuel for his moto.......the Berber will give you their 'last dime' ...learn to give something back...it feels good.

I shake hands knowing he'll have a good few more kms out of his tank...this is what it's all about...middle of nowhere and that exchange.

Last edited by WIBO on Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Just after we exit the lake bed to a very rocky piste Rob reported that he had a big hit on his front end at speed and could feel all was not as it should be. Maroc will test you and your moto....there's no doubt about that at all.

We ride a short distance to Ramlia to take tea, pics and the mickey....problem traced to steering head bearing play. Tightened up and all was well.

Generally bungee will not stick the list either

The rest take tea and I again advise to top up with water........if you don't you'll run out if it gets tight going later......those who listen buy some and those who don't will need to use other peoples water, thus leaving them short too. At over 18 years of age it's your call but listen to those who have been before and know more than you.....? ho hum....never ceases to amaze lol..... :shock: :roll:

Look!!..there's a even a shop!!

Water......have it............drink some out of each, compress the bottles for straps to hold it. It will bounce out with any other fixings.

The French EDC arrive for a tea stop too.....

The new CRF shows an oil leak from?

Christophe et al take a few snaps......

Last edited by WIBO on Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Will It Buff Out?
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

Excellent
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Brilliant 8-)
one-legged adventurer
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

I knew this would be a good one.

Keep it coming.
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Great report and snaps.....loving it :D :D
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

The best read in ages!!! (sounds like a review for the book lol !!)

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”