a bit of the TET in France

Where you've been and what you done
daveuprite

Re: a bit of the TET in France

Post by daveuprite »

100 to 1 against bumping into anybody at all if you pitch up in some woods. Proper rural france really can feel remote sometimes and sometimes you won't see a soul on the trails for hours at a time.

As to food, yes food in some supermarkets can seem a bit more expensive than the UK, but the difference has narrowed quite a lot. If you can find a Lidl and stuff your panniers with bread and paté etc then it's v cheap indeed, Re. restaurants - if you eat your main meal at lunchtime off a 'prix fixé' menu (especially at a roadside place or a cheap auberge) then you can often get a three-courser with a carafe of wine for 12-15 Euros. I have plenty of places near me that cost no more than that every lunchtime. Don't recommend riding much afterwards, mind. Eat in villages and small towns rather than city centres. Avoid fast food places (Quick, McDo etc) for obvious reasons - expensive and taste like merde. If you go out with the main aim of getting lashed, head first for a Café du Sport and ask for whatever the 'pression' is - much cheaper than a posh bar on the whole. If drinking with intent (ho ho) just buy a pack of '33's which are nice and cheap and taste a bit like heineken.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Thanks for that. Dave. .. a good insight. . not been there for decades.
Good tip to eat in villages. Even better the lidl bread thing :D
Last edited by garyboy on Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Another last question. .. would E07's be ok for all TET? :)
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

I spend on average 15 euro a day for breakfast,lunch and tea with a bottle of wine...

As for tyres if you follow the facebook tet page you will see the terrain is very varied ..like uk ...fine if dry then it rains and your on your ass or worse...as Dave said rural france can be a very dangerous place solo...id go mitas army front and e09 rear on the crf...as like minky lol...
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

O right. Thanks Tramp 8-)
I was aiming for minky's eo9/army combo soon anyway but thought eo7s would last longer. But advice taken!!

Insurance? .. e.g. would AA cover 'off road ' or is classed as 'road' like UK? 8-)

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”