Spain Trans-Pyrenees Sept 2017 - Trip Planning and Ride Report

Where you've been and what you done
halfpint

Re: Spain Trans-Pyrenees Sept 2017 - Trip Planning and Ride Report

Post by halfpint »

sounds like you would be better off going to the hiss all the trails you will ever want to ride . simon's trails all planned out camp in one place all week . great mix of riders on all bikes drink beer and talk bike all night and have help on hand if needed . there's an event in sept it wont get any better . we have been a few times and had a fantastic time .
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

I'm sure you'll have a great time. You are much more prepared than I've ever been for extended rides. Try not to over plan and over think it. Just enjoy the scenery, the riding and take any hiccups as experience. Probably see you on the boat for a beer.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

djskinner wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:26 am Riding in Spain

A short summary of the things I thought were most important to remember:
  • High vis probably required if you break down on the Autovia/Autopista.
  • Never cross the solid white line and always leave a 1.5m gap when passing cars. Seems like the local Guardia are corrupt enough to work with purposefully slow driving local car drivers to trap and fine unwitting entranjeros.
  • Filtering is not allowed
  • Standing on the pegs is probably not allowed! (Will have to be flexible with this one!)
  • In the higher altitudes its reasonably common to find wires across the trail a foot or so off the ground. They are mostly there to keep livestock in and generally will have some plastic bag or other to let you know they’re there. 
  • However, I’ve heard on more than one occasion that more sinister and malicious neck-height wires with no such signage have been found by riders. I hope this is extremely uncommon.
  • No earphones whilst riding (as well as obvious stuff like no flip flops, mobile phones, drinking or eating).
Resources:
That's an intersting list - and useful references! - some comments may help:
  • High vis probably required if you break down on the Autovia/Autopista - Strictly speaking you should have a hi-viz ready to put on when stopping on any road - but no-one does!
  • Never cross the solid white line and always leave a 1.5m gap when passing cars. Seems like the local Guardia are corrupt enough to work with purposefully slow driving local car drivers to trap and fine unwitting entranjeros. - Yes, this did happen to WillS and his mates, shame on them. But note that you can cross the white line to overtake very slow vehicles, tractors, etc. as long as you can see far enough ahead.
  • Filtering is not allowed - well it is if you're within the limits above ...
  • Standing on the pegs is probably not allowed! (Will have to be flexible with this one!) - as I've said in a post somewhere I've been seen lots of time ¡s riding up on trails. The rule pertains to being in control of your vehicle so it's not so hard and fast. Since looking at this I've stopped coming my bum with a bit of high riding on the asphalt - with hideous consequences ... :)
  • In the higher altitudes its reasonably common to find wires across the trail a foot or so off the ground. They are mostly there to keep livestock in and generally will have some plastic bag or other to let you know they’re there. - No, the barriers at at headlight level more or less and are used everywhere. The main risk being that the bags disappear but if so you can kick ass with the police! Note that some are locked, with strong wore and a padlock, which means that it's prove property and no-go.
  • However, I’ve heard on more than one occasion that more sinister and malicious neck-height wires with no such signage have been found by riders. I hope this is extremely uncommon. - Yes, this is true but tends to happen near towns where riders, mostly mountain bike riders in fact, are numerous. I've never heard of this happening in the areas of the TET but that's not to say it won't happen. You're probably more likely t fall under the wheel of a 4x4 or tractor chugging down the trail, towards you around a blind bend - really there's no excuse for riding too fast when you can't see the trail, ahead ...
  • No earphones whilst riding (as well as obvious stuff like no flip flops, mobile phones, drinking or eating). Not quite, if the earphones are built-in to the OEM helmet,et they're OK. A few years ago the entire Mosses d'Esquadra fleet was grounded when it emerged that they'd bought all of their helmets from Motored along with their bikes and had them modified afterwards ...
halfpint wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:53 am sounds like you would be better off going to the hiss all the trails you will ever want to ride . simon's trails all planned out camp in one place all week . great mix of riders on all bikes drink beer and talk bike all night and have help on hand if needed . there's an event in sept it wont get any better . we have been a few times and had a fantastic time .
Oh you old smoothy Pete - I suppose you want me to fill your never-ending jug with beer next time you're down! :lol:

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
gbags

Post by gbags »

I've some time in September.

Where's the HISS, when, how much and is it suitable for biggish bikes (800)?

Cheers

Graham
djskinner

Post by djskinner »

@halfpint - My original plan was to be out for a month and attend the HISS (big tread version as I think it was then called) after crossing the Pyrenees. However a whole month wasn't feasible in the end so just the Pyrenees this time round for me.

@Paul_C - Cheers - definitely up for a beer or two on the boat.

Simon - thanks for the clarification on those points, particularly about the wires - good to know.
Last edited by djskinner on Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonnyBravo

Post by JonnyBravo »

gbags wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:26 pm I've some time in September.

Cheers

Graham
Near Teruel in Aragon region -

everyone is meeting up next sunday the 10th at the campsite -
800cc?

pah - a mere slip of a bike :P
There are a several of us on BMW 12's and already a few 8's then some tiddlers
roads, trails and some demanding trials for all bike sizes.
When nothing is going right - go left
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

gbags wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:26 pm I've some time in September.

Cheers

Graham
Hi Graham,

It's the week after next, most people turing up next Sunday, the 10th but some on Monday. It's at a place called Formiche Alto 30 kms south-east of Teruel - details https://thespanishbiker.wordpress.com/e ... -2013/here.

It's great for big bikes, of¡ur 1200 GSA's coming and we have 800 miles of trails about 80% great for big bikes - all if you're very, very good! :)

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

djskinner

Post by djskinner »

Route

Broadly I’m planning to follow this wikiloc route (https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=2023577) on the way down but skip out the Andorra section. On the way back I’ll pick up some of the TET heading West to the Picos before heading back to Santander.

Beyond that my planned route is very light on detail. I’ve found several other smaller GPX routes on wikiloc and other places which I’ll load into the sat nav.

Some potential places on my hit list:
  • Santander
  • San Sebastian
  • Pamplona
  • Jaca
  • Sabiñánigo
  • La Pobla de Segur
  • Girona
  • Parc Natural Els Ports (cerca de Lledo)
  • Lleida
  • Teruel
  • Belchite
  • Zaragoza
  • Potes
  • Santander
  • Bilbao
  • Navarra (Ochagavia)
  • Sardinero de Santander
  • Castillo de Zafra
  • Zumaia
There is little rhyme nor reason to this list. Its a collection of personal preferences, recommendations and a couple of Game of Thrones shot locations thrown in there for good measure. Pretty sure there’s plenty if not too much to see and keep me occupied.
djskinner

Post by djskinner »

Accommodation

The list is so short I don't have one. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

I've got this booked for the first night near Zumaia: https://www.booking.com/hotel/es/casa-r ... en-gb.html

I like the look of this place in Ochagavia for perhaps a refreshing night or two: https://www.booking.com/hotel/es/salazar.en-gb.html

Beyond that I'll probably have to research camp sites etc. the day before and hope I drop on something good. Should be fun.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

djskinner wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:16 pm Accommodation

The list is so short I don't have one. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

I've got this booked for the first night near Zumaia: https://www.booking.com/hotel/es/casa-r ... en-gb.html

I like the look of this place in Ochagavia for perhaps a refreshing night or two: https://www.booking.com/hotel/es/salazar.en-gb.html

Beyond that I'll probably have to research camp sites etc. the day before and hope I drop on something good. Should be fun.
The [urlhttps://www.campingosate.net/#]camping in Ochagavia [/url] itself - as opposed to the 'parish' - is one of my favourites. Like most in Navarre it has a 'auberge' where is you don't mind taking pot luck with sharing is really cheap - and of course you get to meet people ...

WTF what ever happened to adding links to the text!

Regs

Simon

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”