XSR on the NC500

Where you've been and what you done
Steve T

Re: XSR on the NC500

Post by Steve T »

Cracking write up and photo's (thumbs)
You went past me in Ullapool this afternoon - I was that Hi Viz wanker standing next to his bike on the harbour front :whistle: ;) (thumbs)
I knew it was you - the scuffed up exhaust was a bit of a give away :)
Steve T
B)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
Chris S

Post by Chris S »

How you doing Steve. Amazed how many bikes in Ullapool today.
And people in general. (We've been out in the sticks a couple of months - all a bit of a culture shock.)
Now on Rannoch moor - like being in suburbia ;-)
Have a great ride up there.
bodderboy

Post by bodderboy »

Great ride report. Everyone loves a picture and you take a good picture. (thumbs)
ktmdan

Post by ktmdan »

Great pics Chris. Bike looks good too. I am newly inspired to customise my MT-07...
Dan
Chris S

Post by Chris S »

In that case Dan you may want one of the spoke front huns I am going to try and get milled to fit a 19 - unless I can find a cast 19 that fits.

Or stick with 17s, as below.
22b657cce6dc1c4297113862ce8deb14.jpg
22b657cce6dc1c4297113862ce8deb14.jpg (80.16 KiB) Viewed 3044 times
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Is the XSR700 a replacement for the RR CB500x, or a more road orientated bike Chris?
Chris S

Post by Chris S »

For me, another way of trying to do the same thing John; a comfy, smooth gravel bike that will bang out the ride down to my Morocco tours.
Only worthwhile as I got it cheap (and it's running well), but not sure it can be done in time or what $$$$ hurdles may crop up
https://adventure-motorcycling.com/xsr700-scrambler
No doubt about it, the CB500X is unusually well suited to the seamless RR conversion, and the basis of an optimal travel bike.
But XSR is a close second IMO; a bit lighter; nicer motor and bars/seat make it a bit more suited than an MT.
(a bloke on adv US is trying to squeeze an MT (FZ07) into a WR chassis)
Of course with the T7/XT700 are on the way, its a'll a bit redundant but as mentioned, fun to experiment ;-)
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

I guess the XSR will be a little bit more relaxed on the tarmac stretches given it's got more power. without being stupidly powerful. I've got a SV650 and CB500x, if the CB could have the SV engine ... Way outside of my technical abilities, so the XSR700 might be the solution, for me.
BTW seen the road closures between Douneray and Scrabster until the 22nd June next year for the transportation of nuclear waste? Details here; https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/ne ... for-nc500/
Chris S

Post by Chris S »

My XSR came restricted down to about the same 47hp as a 500X (normally 73).
Just done 700 miles cross-country over 2 days and can't say I'm gagging to derestrict it.
Mpg was low to mid 70s, running at around 70mph where possible. Seat was good; screen helped. No vibes to speak of.
(restriction is I believe throttle-opening based, not electronic - don't know if that's usual).

I never found the 500X lacking in power either, just a bit bland and lacking in the feeling of torque.
43Nm @ 7000 Honda; 68 @ 6500 XSR.
If my restricted bike is much closer to 500X Nm figures, it doesn't feel like it.

XSR/07 is just my sort of motor: will pull away smoothly from 30 in top, and will run along just as smoothly at tickover in 1st.
This lack of juddering is why I now prefer twins over big singles of similar cc and, once I realised the difference, much prefer 270° Ps; all the benefits of a V-twin without the wheelbase.

As you may know - a 270°-crank P-twin is similar to an L-twin like your SV or a Ducati.
I read somewhere that, with a 270° P, when one piston stops dead the other is flying along mid-stroke which helps keep things rolling and any vibes merely characterful roughness.
Is that the Crossplane theory? Who knows, but it sure feels satisfying to ride over the 180° Honda.
Super Tens and the new Af Twin are both 270° - 'creamy' delivery is how I'd describe my brief rides on both.
Or maybe rice pudding, seeing as they're a bit lumpy.

Always meant to try an SV/V-Strom; purely coz I'm sure I'd love the engine.
Some guys on Advrider have converted SVs into gravel bikes. IIrc, easier with an SV than a V-Strom.

Lucky old [strike]Windsca[/strike].. SORRY, Sellafield
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

I'll guess that you loose HP and not torque, so the bigger pistons going up and down means better torque than the 500's engine. Revving the 500's engine to 6000rpm gets it moving quite quickly, but it certainly doesn't have the easy grunt of a 1000cc plus twin where almost whatever gear you're in, you see an overtaking possibility and all you have to do is open the throttle.
And as I'm in sight of my 60th birthday, the Kenny Robert's speed blocks look so cool, especially as I didn't have a F1SE or RD250 :(

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”