Lake District

Where you've been and what you done
Tyrant68

Lake District

Post by Tyrant68 »

Day 1...

After a 5 hour drive up, the Austrian was dying to be unleashed on the lakeland countryside.
There wasn't a plan as such but a few places I wanted to visit (whilst it was dry :laugh: )
Headed from my base in Keswick to Grasmere, stopped and bought the Kendal Mintcake as requested and headed off to Coniston the back way (Red Bank??)

Back on the main road and posed by a small lake before Coniston ( can never remember the damn name!)
Through Coniston centre and headed to the Bluebird Cafe to pay homage to my hero Sir Donald Campbell :)
Last came here on NYD and the cafe had been moved to a portakabin due to flood damage on the original site.
It was good to see that the new premises had finally been built, very nice indeed.

Flood line...

Departed after being at a table next to two screaming babies and another on a picnic bench having its nappy changed (too much brown stuff there :sick: ) my chocolate tiffin just didn't seem the same after :laugh:
went to fill up at the services when suprise, suprise the newly repaired sidestand broke where the bolt goes through to the subframe.
Rendered useless as this was where it had previously been fixed I tossed it in the bin and didn't bother with fuel in a mard :laugh:
Headed over to Tarn Howes but due to lack of leaning blocks no photo of Tarn just greenery .
Then headed over to a near UCR recommended on here.
Bearing in mind the Byways of Northants aren't steep , but generally rut-heaven this was fun :laugh:
Haven't ridden on rubble and rock steps in a while :P
In hindsight p:P bably shouldn't of been there on my own but you know it would of been rude not too. Lesson I nearly learnt the hard way, never apply front brake on loose rock/stones. :laugh: Think washed out riverbed on a hill :laugh:
stopped only for a couple here.
Natures sidestand!

Realising I really needed fuel instead of heading back to Coniston rode over to Ambleside.
Set off back the same way but headed over to Wrynose/Hardknott passes.
At what point does Wrynose become Hardknott?

Photos

His'n'her GS's

Few panoramics off the phone.

Got to the end of the pass past 'Foot' and came to the first 'major' t-junction.
put in Keswick on the satnav and realised I was 42 miles from Keswick ...doh.
One roadride later past Sellafield, through Gosforth , Cleator Moor (deliverence country) edge of Cockermouth and back past Bassenthwaite lake by which time it felt like December :laugh:
Tomorrow's forecast is a bit moist, but the aim is Whinlatter pass and maybe Honister too , find the 'struggle' apparently.
I reckon I must of put in a good 100 miles today, it certainly feels like it on that KTM park bench :laugh:
Nunight Campers B) :laugh:
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"
Morph

Lake District

Post by Morph »

Beautiful riding country, thanks for posting.

My lasting memory of the Hard Knott pass was the brakes failing on the way down with my family in a Discovery!
The lightest piece of kit is the one you leave behind...
AckAckFlack

Lake District

Post by AckAckFlack »

Beautiful area and riding heaven.
Thanks for sharing.
BBRR - Big Bike Rough Road Riders Group

It's all about how big it is and how Rough you use it :-)

The journey aimed to challenge the perception of blindness…

Usually People call me Sir... closely followed by 'You are making a scene!'
stanbloke

Re: Lake District

Post by stanbloke »

Glad to hear you are having such a good time Ty :) .

That sidestand needed to be "sleeved", never mind mate, :sick: :) :) .

Great pics.:)
Earwig

Post by Earwig »

Nice pub at the top of the struggle (up from Ambleside to Kirkstone Pass). Good views

Did Tan Hill inn (Dales), Kirkby Steven, Shap, Kendal, Kirkstone Pass, Struggle (down) Ambleside, up to Honister Slate Quarry (nice coffee) then missed out whinnlatter and cut across to Keswick A66 to Penrith and back to Tan Hill ... all on a 125 Varadero.
Gas_Up_Lets_Go

Post by Gas_Up_Lets_Go »

Tyrant68 wrote:Day 1...
At what point does Wrynose become Hardknott?:
At the Bridge, you took the right up the hill where there is a left turn also. I say hill, but for some reason lots of people have problems riding up it - Me, I love that little climb!
Tyrant68 wrote:One roadride later past Sellafield, through Gosforth , Cleator Moor (deliverence country) edge of Cockermouth and back past Bassenthwaite lake by which time it felt like December :laugh:
Ah! A right turn at 'Calderbridge' would have taken you over 'Cold Fell', through Ennerdale and from there you could head to Mosser and Loweswater, where you could have headed back to Keswick over Honister Pass. a few miles less, but a whole better ride.

Oh, and Deliverance has nothing on Cleator Moor, even the locals don't go out alone.....

'The Struggle' is the road from the Kirkstone Pass Inn (on the top of Kirkstone Pass) to Ambleside. So heading south, you turn right at the Inn.
Mistakes are natures way of showing us we have more to learn
Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

Morph wrote:Beautiful riding country, thanks for posting.

My lasting memory of the Hard Knott pass was the brakes failing on the way down with my family in a Discovery!
Blimey :woohoo:
Fairplay to all the people in their fully loaded MPV's doing the passes.
Hairpins that just disappear up/down on 2 metres of tarmac. :laugh:

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

AckAckFlack wrote:Beautiful area and riding heaven.
Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Ack Ack, it really is lovely here. Lived in Keswick for a short time and on Walney Island as a child.

Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

stanbloke wrote:Glad to hear you are having such a good time Ty :) .

That sidestand needed to be "sleeved", never mind mate, :sick: :) :) .

Great pics.:)
Thanks Stan.
The stand broke in half where the bolt goes through, not repairable.

Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

Earwig wrote:Nice pub at the top of the struggle (up from Ambleside to Kirkstone Pass). Good views

Did Tan Hill inn (Dales), Kirkby Steven, Shap, Kendal, Kirkstone Pass, Struggle (down) Ambleside, up to Honister Slate Quarry (nice coffee) then missed out whinnlatter and cut across to Keswick A66 to Penrith and back to Tan Hill ... all on a 125 Varadero.
The struggle is on todays list, just need a wall to lean the KTM agaist :laugh:

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”