A day trip to Cornwall on some new wheels and a new helmet.

Where you've been and what you done
Brenhden

A day trip to Cornwall on some new wheels and a new helmet.

Post by Brenhden »

Yesterday I planned to indulge two passions, riding bikes and wild swimming.

My newly back in action DR650SE was MOTd, had new road oriented wheels and I'd managed to drain the diesel out of it after a slight lapse in concentration the other day...

After tearing myself away from the carnage of the Andrew Marr show in Sunday morning I suited up in my summer gear. I got a new THH 27 helmet as my last one of theirs had stood up well for the last three years and Catcitrus had recommended it.

When I tested the new wheels on Thursday there was a worrying change of geometry as the rear is smaller and the back is bigger so I left Somerset feeling a bit shaky. Two minute later and all my fears were gone, the bike has changed but not in a bad way. It turns sharper and goes faster (thumbs)

I headed down the M5 going progressively faster and after a little while got to the Tiverton Junction and turned off, I joined the A377 behind a couple of old Morgans and was enjoying the view of them was amazing when 10 new Ferraris came roaring by going the other way. its a great road for a ride but was a little busy. I hopped on to the A3072 which is great fun for ride. Somewhere near Holsworthy I started seeing signs warning of runners and for the next 13 miles there was a steady stream of of half marathon runners of all shapes and sizes.

The closer I got to Bude the worst the weather got and by the time I pulled up at the beach I was frozen...

As I pulled up at the seafront all the other bikers had given the day up as a bad job and I dived into a cafe for some chips and a tea, from the window it was clear that the sea was seriously angry and whilst inside the red flags were apparently put up so my plan was scuppered.

A quick look at google maps found another likely swim site called Wimbleball lake. I rummaged in my bag and found a rash vest to keep my warm and set off listening to the excellent A/B by Kaleo, as recommended by Tyrant68!

I took the A39 up the coast and had a lovely recollection of my first ever trip on a bike.

https://adventurebikerider.com/componen ... -ride.html

Its a great road and the nippy DR650 in SM had me weaving confidently among the traffic. The A 361 was a bit more boring and by now I was flagging and getting a sore ass too! The run from the main road to the lake was lots more fun although I got lost and went through Dulverton twice.

Arriving at the lake I realised thats its a proper professional sports activity place and I was not part of their plan. I snuck in and waited for my chance to get in!

The weather was much better away from the coast and the water was lovely and warm.

That done and smelling of pond water I rode home completely knackered!
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
Redmurty

Re: A day trip to Cornwall on some new wheels and a new helmet.

Post by Redmurty »

Brenhden have a look at this book
Wild Swimming by Daniel Start....
http://www.wildswimming.co.uk/wild-swimming-new-book/
300 hidden dips in rivers lakes and waterfalls of Britain (thumbs)
Still missing the 350 ?
cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Nice one Brenhden (thumbs)
one-legged adventurer
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Redmurty wrote:Brenhden have a look at this book

Wild Swimming by Daniel Start....

http://www.wildswimming.co.uk/wild-swimming-new-book/

300 hidden dips in rivers lakes and waterfalls of Britain (thumbs)

Still missing the 350 ?

cheers Spud ;)

Thanks for the tip.

Yes I am a bit. It was light tall and flickable.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

my Mrs used to skinny dip a lot til someone tried to harpoon her :whistle:
cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself

Return to β€œRIDE REPORTS”