First time trail riding proper.

Where you've been and what you done
lancashirelad

First time trail riding proper.

Post by lancashirelad »

So today a few of us met up & rode Salter Fell it was the first time I've tried trail riding although I've done a bit of pre65 trials riding years ago, the CCM SR-40 wasn't the ideal bike to use, to high geared and the Distanza tyres didn't help much either :laugh: So I'm thinking of getting a trail bike maybe a Serow 250, CRF 250L or DRZ400?
Anything else l should consider bearing in mind I'm bigger than the average bear & 29" inside leg?
If l sell the CCM then budget would be £3.5/4K maybe?
Any advice appreciated.
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
bowber

Re: First time trail riding proper.

Post by bowber »

I'd have thought just gearing your SR-40 down would do it, add a second set of wheels with enduro tyres and your away with a bike you already own.
Or are you favouring a different bike?
I've just sorted an old KTM400 for trail riding and the difference from my old DR350 is night and day, the KTM just does stuff the DR was fighting over.
Steve
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

I'm favouring a different bike, the SR-40 is to nice to trail ride the large Ali tank is very vulnerable me thinks.
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Hi, whilst I am nowhere near as experienced off road as most contributors on here I do have short legs. My advice would be a Serow, a CRF 230 or a TTR 250. With the TTR it is very easy to lower with a link from totally TTRs and you can drop the forks about an inch a half. Of the three I would say the TTR is the better bike, especially if you have to do a bit of road work between the trails, the other two are great off road though. I reckon if you are prepared to look around and travel you should get a really good one of any of the above for less than two and a half grand! Potentially a lot less.
Cheers Jak

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”