Bulgaria and back on a WR250R to join the ABC/BBS crew

Where you've been and what you done
beddowsm

Re: Bulgaria and back on a WR250R to join the ABC/BBS crew

Post by beddowsm »

Who's doing the "controlled" wheelie in the beach race?
nethen1

Post by nethen1 »

That was Scott on his loaned factory CCM... rode it well.
FB_IMG_1495179590963.jpg
FB_IMG_1495179590963.jpg (49.29 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
FB_IMG_1495179501045.jpg
FB_IMG_1495179501045.jpg (39.01 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
FB_IMG_1495179493929.jpg
FB_IMG_1495179493929.jpg (34.61 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
A flying pig ... just for good measure ! :)
Are we stoppin for a brew !

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHnqi2JsFoNCV6ktRGEOVXQ/playlists

Braaaaaaaaaaaaaappppppppp :)
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

This is awesome, I'm so jealous you have time for a trip like this (thumbs)
Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

The return trip was a slightly different route--and there was the "curious incident of the dog in the early morning"--not funny really--I'll get to that!
being retired I have time, but not a lot of money--so cheap travelling is the order of the day--with good kit there is no need for it to be a chore--and I certainly wouldn't hotel it anyway--too restrictive--living in different boxes every night with the uncertainty of whether your bike and any gear on it will be there in the morning!. I don't do WiFi so things are quiet--but I may start to do a bit as it certainly keeps you in touch--and checking weather reports and so on is useful in planning your day, clothing and route. I can text anybody, and they can reach me if required--thats good enough.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

I hate that 'will the bike be there in the morning?' feeling...
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

The next instalment--number 8b?
Saturday was a rather sad day--all the lads with BBS had taken their bikes to Matt's warehouse for packing and then returned with hand luggage for the shuttle to the airport. Brian--the retired property dealer from the UK/Spain/Turkey (where he has a 60ft motor launch parked) drove off on Friday in his VW transporter headed for Turkey--and more riding with mates--he'd driven from Spain to get to Bulgaria!. He is in his early 60s but has done Romaniacs etc several times and rides offroad every day--according to the Bulgarian guides he was the best rider !!--so there is hope for you all yet! He is a really down to earth Yorkshireman and a pleasant guy who simply gets stuck in.
I was the last to leave and headed south for the border--and the plan was to get south of Thessaloniki on the Aegean coast and find a campsite (using my new found Garmin option!). It worked well and heading down the coast in sight of Mount Olympus I found a site right on the coast. It was barely open but accepted me no problem. A local restaurant provided an excellent meal with great service--but not cheap (spoilt by Bulgaria!--anything over 10 euros is expensive to me!). I went for a walk on the beach and dipped my toes in the sea--quite warm. The beach was virtually deserted--here is a shot of Mount Olympus still puffing a bit.

The next morning I headed for the showers--they were in a somewhat "tired" state!--This where the dog tale comes in--I made the mistake of leaving my tent open and on return noted some "deposits" in the vestibule. I found a rather ill and messy small dog curled up in my sleeping compartment!. It would not move--and when I tried to grab it I was met with a snarl and bared teeth--I eventually got it to move by thumping it on the rear. I was then faced with a mess to clear up--lots of washing and disinfecting--and fortunately my down bag was spared. NOT a great start to the day-and a hard lesson--packs of stray dogs are a real problem and the authorities do nothing--do not leave your tent open or food about. This episode took me a while to get over as the mess was basically a bit stomach turning. Fortunately I'm a country boy and once cleaned out and disinfected and aired everything was back to normal..Sorry about the graphic details but be warned.

I set off for Meteora-Another pic on my way down the coast--Olympus puffing.

What struck me was the number of newish hotels in this area--with no real signs of visitors--I know its early season, but not that early?

--and as you are probably aware by now the weather was being kind. As mentioned before its a world heritage site and is in the Bond movie "For your eyes only".
Amazing sandstone erosion that rises straight out of the plain to the East.
THE LIFT!!!

I then headed west--The road from Meteora E92 sweeps through green vallies, but then to get over the top to Metsovo and then to Ioannina there is a fabulous mountain road (No 6?) In not bad condition, virtually zero traffic--lots of bends and lots of high views--unpredictable with no run offs and limited armco--so if you push a bit be on your game!
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

This Vid has surfaced--wish I had been with them on the genuine offroad! Maybe next time--and get a bike shipped!(but would need to be in a "b" group!!)
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

just about the last entry or two now:
I arrived in Igoumenitsa fully expecting to camp just up the road--I was "early " again!

However, the girls in the Speedfast booth--again really smart and helpful--sorted me out with the midnight ferry at no extra cost. The facilities were a bit spartan but I managed to get a filled bread roll and watched a ManU match on the tv--slightly better than watching paint dry!
I eventually went "dockside" at about 9 pm as it was getting dark--but there were NO facilities--just one nasty portaloo--what are they thinking. You can get back "inside " but have to show your passport and ticket both ways. I was lucky and a dutch couple in a camper invited me in for an "aperitif" and some snacks . We had a great chat about the world, Europe, and Greece. They had been touring the mainland coast with their English Cocker spaniel--they had been surrounded by a pack of wild dogs on a couple of occasions--its a problem.
The ferry loomed out of the night like a mobile disco, moored with minimal fuss, and the few vehicles were soon on board. I headed for the Pursers desk after a nice chicken salad on board--and managed a 2 berth cabin for 70 Euros--with a "window". A nice shower and then kip for just about all the trip. We docked at about 3 pm and I fought my way out of Ancona using Italian traffic driving methods--they expect it!

A quick trip up the coast to Cervia and I found the campsite that I used on the way down--much quieter this time. Unfortunately it started raining that evening and just kept going the next day with thunder and lightning. The campsite was inch deep in water everywhere--the tent held out, but all I could was wait it out. It cleared the next day and I had to decide on the route home from here. I had contracted a bit of a cold so my initial plans too go via Hitler's mountain retreat in Austria seemed too much of a push and out of the way--and I didn't feel up to visiting --I had seen it from the meadow below but never gone up.

I decided to head for Milano and then go north.

A pleasant day really even though I was on main roads--but about 20 euros in tolls!. I eventually headed into Switzerland via lake Como and bought a vignette--no choice, one price--for a year--and 40 Euros--robbing !"Β£$s. However, its not worth getting caught. I was impressed by the main A2. I liked the green power pylons that blended in, and there was a general air of relaxed , but effective, business. I eventually got to Lucerne via the Gotthard road tunnel. Now the pass was closed otherwise I would have used it. The tunnel is 16 kms long and very hot and intimidating--glad to get out--I had to stop for fresh air!
Arriving on the outskirts of Lucerne I used my new found Garmin search and went for a campsite by the Lido and lake. This involved going right through the city in rush hour--not fun really--pedestrians are suicidal and just walk onto crossings.
A nice campsite--if a little expensive at over 20 Euros--but a cafe, shop, showers and so on.
Bumped into a Green Army supporter and we chatted the evening away.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

So to the final leg:
I left Lucerne--and it was still dry! I headed for Strasbourg but decided to take the earlier Col so left for Colmar and then the N59 over the top--this is a great little road with good bends--but trucks do use it. I do believe its high enough for skiing at the top. So around Nancy, through to |St Dizier and Challons-en- Champagne towards Reims. It threatened rain so for the first time since the start of the trip, the full army Goretex went on . Needless to say , and despite the forecast from my son via the BBC, I only saw a slight shower. This time , as I was on the N44, I kept an eye out for camping signs--and sure enough I found one in a small village about 12 kms outside of Reims to the East. Gated with a code and good basic facilities--for 8 euros! An enquiry and a short trip to a bigger village got me to a Supermarche, a cashpoint, nice bread, jambon, boursin, tomatoes, and some tartes de Pommes for breakfast! I had a little rain overnight but the morning dawned clear. From Reims I set off for Calais--this area of France is just rolling fields and vast acreage of cereal crops--so nothing much to report.
I was really glad to reach Calais--the little Yam had nearly done it! A tip here--if you are early--and I was at least 3 days early--go to the ticket office to change your booking--its cheaper and less hassle--I was on a ferry in 40 minutes--but it cost me about 38 quid.
The crossing was uneventful except that I had a bit of a disagreement on securing the bike.
Now I've mentioned this before--P and O now expect you to secure your bike--but even though I'm ex RN I don't do it. The reason is simple--I'm not insured on the ferry and safety at sea is the responsibility of the crew--both myself and my bike are simply cargo. If I was a complete numpty and did a poor job, there was some rough seas, the bike goes over, damages other bikes, spills fuel, there is a spark and the whole cargo deck goes up--whose fault and responsibility is that? I've written to P and O before and got some non committal reply basically stating that they have had too many claims for damage and so leave it to the individual-a cop out for commercial reasons-but I doubt whether that would stand up as a reason in a Board of Enquiry after a disaster !! One of the deck hands must have mentioned that I wouldn't do it to the Bosun, and he came over citing the same reason. I simply said that a) I wasn't insured and b) safety at sea was his responsibility--at that point he walked off in a huff--the guy is between a rock and a hard place--the crew did it for me in the end as requested!
A good meal on the ferry set me up and I did battle with the Friday evening traffic around the M25 and up the A1--getting filtering practice--I have soft panniers!
I got home at about 7 pm on the Friday--basically a week to travel door to door at a leisurely pace.
Saturday was a gear sort out day, Sunday I went the the MCN show on the Yam--not cleaned etc--but again not really dirty. Monday I dropped the oil and checked it over--nothing on the magnet again--no real problems and little spanner work required--didn't even need to adjust the chain--I had used two small tins of the WD chain wax on the trip-- available on offer at Lidl--did the job well and no real fling. The Mefo explorers would do the trip again! I had oil on board--but didn't need to use it on the whole trip--the level was static and the tailpipe a light grey/brown--and I have removed the Cat--its burning well. It still sounds a bit clanky--but thats largely the reflection from the bashplate.
I would certainly do the trip again--but if no offroad was planned then the Triumph would be better. However, trips to altitude and with gravel roads then the Yam would do it easily--and certainly would cover most gravel trails with perhaps slightly more aggressive tyres.
Finally thanks to the ABC crew and Dave (BBS) for their help, support and camaraderie--and a great bunch at the Boutique chalet hotel.
I'm actually getting itchy already for another trip--can't sit around!
geoff barnett

Post by geoff barnett »

An epic trip. Well done Chris.

Return to β€œRIDE REPORTS”