Bulgaria and back on a WR250R to join the ABC/BBS crew

Where you've been and what you done
catcitrus

Re: Bulgaria and back on a WR250R to join the ABC/BBS crew

Post by catcitrus »

Next instalment:
so I'm skipping along the Med coastline looking down on Yachts etc--talk about these people living in a "bubble"--I prefer to be "up top"!

anyway--just read the tent article on ABR and have the following comments:

As you can see my Blacks Octane 3 is only 2.9 kg--its siliconised ripstop with aluminium colour coded poles that all go in from one side. The inner can stay attached. Just peg out the 4 corners with a bit of slack, push the poles in and clip in and its up--adjust and add a few more pegs--guys(plenty of them) are not necessary unless its windy--it has been storm tested and also stayed dry in 12 hours of thundery rain near Rimini which flooded the campsite. I use an army groundsheet to protect the tent membrane and also to cover the vestibule area(large)--the fact that its not "freestanding" is not an issue. You can pitch it without the inner if you wish . I don't think made any more--it was a 250 quid tent but reduced in a sale to 130--and that was a few years ago . I have other tents but this suited the trip--quick erect and throw all the kit in-especially good when raining.

Anyway--back to the trip:
A few Med shots as I went through Nice--and then on the "payage" heading for Genova.
Eventually I got to around the La Spezia peninsular (small) and looked for a campsite. The "motorway" is a piece of engineering--tunnel, bridge, tunnel and so on. My THH helmet with flip down smoke visor worked really well--comfortable and plenty of ventilation--and ACU approved--they really are good value.
I had nearly given up when I asked at a garage about camping (still hadn't discovered that my Garmin will list local campsites--muppet!!)--and found one just before the payage entry point. Good site, dour German lady running it, but a local restaurant within a few hundred yards--eat where the locals do!
One thing I was now becoming aware of --the major use of scoots of all sizes by all the population--and they don't take prisoners!!--or wear ANY protective gear apart from a helmet--note to self---must try a 650 cc twin Burgman!!
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

catcitrus wrote: The "motorway" is a piece of engineering--tunnel, bridge, tunnel and so on.
That bit of motorway is incredible, I've done loads of times in the car and once on my KTM. Bloody dangerous in the rain though, like you say the Italian drivers don't take any prisoners :unsure:
one-legged adventurer
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

This is a great report. Keep it coming please (thumbs)
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
bowber

Post by bowber »

boboneleg wrote:like you say the Italian drivers don't take any prisoners :unsure:
Too right, Italy's the only place I've seen a police car being tailgated on the motorway!

Steve
Famous

Post by Famous »

Nice one Chris

Keep it coming (thumbs)
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Next instalment(i actually wrote it, got distracted--and pressed the wrong button so lost it--starting again!):

So from the campsite near La Spezia, and with a full tank of fuel(the bl**dy tolls cost me more than the fuel at 70 mpg!-and I never understand why they charge bikes because we always cause a delay--I have learnt not to rush as you only need to drop a glove, some coins and so on to make it even worse). I headed down towards Pisa and Livorno----I'm not a topical tourist spot type of person , hate cities --and with a 2 hour tolerance at best if the traffic is heavy. So I turned left at Viareggio before Pisa--and headed for Firenze. A bit boring and focusing with the trucks etc--I'm just that bit faster so have to plan! The Italians are getting on with their flatland industries and fruit orchards.
After Firenze the road climbs into the national park--heading ENE for Forli. It reaches about 1200 m and is in good condition with hairpin after hairpin. What I didn't know was that it was an Italian public holiday (isn't every day!!) and the Joe Rockets were out in force--and really trying. I did my best and let them scrape pegs around me--lots of talented riders--at least they were fast!--included GSs and big scoots ! When I got to the top there were a couple of hundred bikes parked up at a hotel complex--all looking cool--I was a bit out of place so just "observed".
After a short break I headed down--more flat out Joe Rockets going in both directions--no police! I did my best trying to be smooth and not use the brakes too much--"they canna take the strain". The WR handles very well and can be cranked over. The locals in the mountain outposts were out watching the spectacle--so I tried to look fast and cool! I even managed to keep up with an ambulance chasing down the mountain--no emergency--just Italian!
From Forli I was heading for Rimini but diving towards the coast I came across camp site adds in Cervia. I found this campsite that was full of Italian families with the usual semi permanent holiday "emporiums". Lovely facilities--toilets, showers, pool, shop, bar, restaurant--all at reasonable prices. There was also a kite festival on the beach so I took a stroll down there once the tent was pitched.
Note my washing on a next door's washing line(they were out!).
The next day was a day off--in that I promised my son I would go to Vale's home town of Telluvia

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... wrNIeJgSoQ
aliwakeskate

Post by aliwakeskate »

Great stuff Chris! Keep it coming (thumbs)
Allan F

Post by Allan F »

Thanks for posting. Great report (thumbs)
cowling

Post by cowling »

Sounds an epic trip Chris, great to hear stuff like this can be done on a little bike,, as long as you choose the right one.
Thanks for posting the great write up and pictures, and great to hear your final home.
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Great stuff!!!

(thumbs)

:)

Will It Buff Out?

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”