EDC Col du Tourmalet, (2115m) Hautes-Pyrénées France

Where you've been and what you done
WIBO

EDC Col du Tourmalet, (2115m) Hautes-Pyrénées France

Post by WIBO »

If this is article is read with Firefox or Chrome browser and you have an installed extension to ' allow to see Photobucket Images ' then all images will be seen.

Got in this morning at 0330hrs after a bender. Of course I awoke at about 1000hrs so decided to go for another easy, standard, repeat Sunday (175km ) ride to clear my head for a sugar fix at La Mongie ski station, returning by Ossun/Lourdes airport to see if there were any more planes parked up than from last time. They're parked up awaiting recycling and stripping.

I rode to Bénéjacq and from here on to an elevated route to St Vincent which enables you to come into Lourdes for a change from the normal route. After riding south out of Lourdes and by passing Argelès Gazost, you take the route to Super Barèges ski station. The going is good surface tarmac, twisties galore as you start to climb towards the peaks.

Getting closer to snow.

A look down from the summit of Col du Tourmalet. Cold enough today on high.

The usual drop down into la Mongie for a sugar fix at a café called The Killarney of all things. It's the last café on the RHS out of the town and you can park the moto close to the tables. There's an ATM about 30m away if you need it.

There's always a mountain dog lazing about....

At lower altitudes the snow has started to disappear.

I head down after my sugar fix and see vultures circling and catching the thermals, so I stop for a couple of snaps.

They're proper vultures with the bendy neck :)

When I descend I can't be bothered riding up Col d'Aspin so I head north to get warmer air and riding on through Tarbes to Ossun airport to have a wee look at the parked up aircraft.

This is the view behind.

Some plane pics then home at an easy hangover pace.

I'll not tell any one how to suck eggs, but if any one is riding the region from the northern Spanish ferry ports and would like good route advice for my general area both of Spain and France by all means just ask, if you so desire.

Ride safe.

:)

Last edited by WIBO on Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will It Buff Out?
Boo Cock

Re: Col du Tourmalet, (2115m alt) Hautes-Pyrénées France

Post by Boo Cock »

Oooooohh! I was working down there in Baniers de Bigore in 1997 had a great time. Col du Tourmalet was impossible to find from La Mongie until we discovered the road to it was under 18 foot of snow, I kid you not. Been there a few times before and since. Love it. (thumbs)
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Here is me coming down from the top of col du Tourmalet last summer, snapped by the resident photographer I think. He stands just down on the first bend with a banner promoting his website, then you visit and buy your pic! (thumbs)

WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Come the good weather you still see the odd photographer ....last time, just on the last couple of bends were two women crouching down and striding in all shapes trying to get the best shot....oh......and they were wearing yoga leggings.....tight, tight yoga leggings but I was looking to see what camera they were using.....it was Canon.

:whistle:

:)
Will It Buff Out?
scutty

Post by scutty »

These were me on Tourmalet about 3 years ago -

lamapix_7610438.jpg
lamapix_7610438.jpg (121.4 KiB) Viewed 2143 times
lamapix_7610464.jpg
lamapix_7610464.jpg (49.02 KiB) Viewed 2143 times
Alan29

Post by Alan29 »

Was there 18 months ago. Got buzzed by low flying vultures.
Huge artic had broken down and blocked one of the hairpins going up from La Mongie (Llamas!)which meant that everything had to reverse back down, including a couple of tourist coaches. They let bikes squeeze through. It meant the car park at the top was almost empty for once.
Fabulous trip.

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”