not lost in lanes in wales

Where you've been and what you done
garyboy

not lost in lanes in wales

Post by garyboy »

Not Lost in Lanes.

Well its raining out so I thought I would bore you lot too.
This monday afternoon just gone, 27/03/2017, I decided to take a small ride on the bike to tregaron, using lanes nearby as the scenery is very good around there.

On the way, I found a small lane in the right direction, but that led me to a dangerous area of mountain burning. At one point the flames were 30 foot long blowing horizontally acrosss the road in front of me, .. and coming straight for me. Not to worry as the dry grass near me was short and the flames abated long enough for me sail through the short distance of smoke hiding the tarmac in front of me.

Then another short push through very dense smoke got me to a safe place opposite the devastated fields where I noticed three horses taking refuge in a rare patch of unburnt grass. I was glad there were only three because if there were four, with horsemen, it would have been an apocolypse for me. They were looking at me but there was nothing I could do except maybe call a fire engine?

Well .. guess what .. just around the corner was one, parked to block the road from the other direction, but which moved over to let me pass, with a thumbs up from the driver. Was I a stupid hero or a fearless idiot? Er anyway ..

Around the next corner was a parking spot with peace and tranquility away from the mayhem just past, so I had a snack and a drink of tea and went on my way, enjoying the lovely countryside, hoping the horses would be ok. It was one of my best rides ever, as the bike was sailing nice with an easy rumble and even the seat felt good. Glad I made the effort to come out.

Over the mouintain pass to abergwesyn and down to llandovery, and the light was starting to fade, but it had been a good afternoon and I felt good. All I had to do now was get home from llandovery in a reasonable time, riding sensibly, as usual, but making progress.

I didn't stop as I wanted to make good time and pulled out of llandovery but after a few miles I could see a `road closed ahead` sign. Being a good intelligent motorcyclist, I completely ignored the sign as it was starting to get dark and I guessed that they were tarmacking the road as it was scraped ready, I saw earlier. And even if they had not quite finished there would probably be a way for a bike to get through?

At the third closure sign I came to a full stop and the young lad said I had to go back, as they were tarmacking, but laughed when I said I was a naughty boy.

I turned around reluctantly as I could see I would now be getting back in the dark, which I hate. I stopped near some white lines to look at my google maps to see if there was a way through pentre-ty-gwyn, as it was probably only around Halfway that was blocked. A police car came speeding past so I tought I had better move from my illegal position, even though the road was closed. I couldn't see the map properly anyway and guessed it would be very difficult to find a way through that way.

So back to llandovery and down the a4069 and the blacks, the black mountain and llangadod. A long way round but at least not retracing my steps past beulah way. There was a huge red sun setting in the sky to the left, but I did not stop for a pic as time was getting on. Wish I had now.

I saw a sign for myddfai and thought .. ah .. a short cut through the myddfai lanes … been there before .. should be alright., that will take a long way off the journey.

Well it was getting dark now and I was on a road bike with road tyres and knew I had to keep off the real muddy muddfai lanes. Suddenly I recognised a small junction where big pete had taken me in the taffy dakar, on my then crf230, and then another place where we had met fred and simon P and jenny wotsit. O .. joy of joys.. I was going to live.

Then the lane got really small and twisty and up and down and quite muddy and unused-looking, with fallen trees nearby and broken fences. I began to wonder if I had made the right choice. I trusted the bike alright, in the lanes in the dark, with its good headlight and honda reliability … but it was the tyres I was worried about. A puncture out here at night with no mobile reception .. not to mention the mad welsh farm manglers and black panther meat eaters. .. and I could even miss the ten oclock news!

Unphased and ever the hero, I plodded on relentlessly, until I could see the black mountain looming on the right and knew the usk reservoir and roman road was somewhere on the left. I felt nearly as brave as one of those ancient roman soldiers marching along with their bike gear in their hands and tea flasks by their side..

I had flown past the red kite centre and llandausant so knew I was safely on the way to trecastle … yay! I had managed to miss the dead end lane and find my way to civilisation .. well trecastle anyway. I was even back home for the ten o'clock news, feeling very chuffed that I had survived the welsh widerness at night.
Cone

Re: not lost in lanes in wales

Post by Cone »

really enjoyed this (thumbs)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

by manic popular request I will try to get a few pics up.

92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

Fabulous photos......and story.

I felt nearly as brave as one of those ancient roman soldiers marching along with their bike gear in their hands and tea flasks by their side..

Wondering what was in your flask..... seeing those Romans in bike gear......

The last one I love, so like some of the Wicklow Mountains and inside in the Mournes. You have to admit that on a sunny weekend ride those places are the best in the world.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
Har65

Post by Har65 »

Great write up Gary
Presumed the bike you were on is an nc 700-750 ?
What you think of it ? Read lots of write up but yet to test one
The boss ,,,,,has decided that she wants to be pillion again ,so my crf 250 needs to go .
Looking at an nc for low COG
Or the CB 500 x
Cheers ash
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Nice one Gary, I was up the Abergwesen pass on Saturday. Beautiful around there (thumbs)
one-legged adventurer
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

Nice one Gary
Yoyo

Post by Yoyo »

Nice write up Gary!
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

thankyou for all the nice replies.

. I used chrome this time ... was a bit better ... a lot better in fact for pics from photobucket.

. 92kk .. it was just TEA in my flask .. but it was quite strong! .. tho not as strong as Irish Whisky !! Glad you can see I have got a firm grasp of History! And yes, this country will take some beating on a dry sunny day, especially in the wild celtic hills .. tho southern softies have nice parts too (er .. I mean .. )

. Har65 .. I would say, seriously, keep your CRF 250 (I got the crf250L as well) .. but that the NC750dct which I have, would struggle a bit with a pillion ... (I think)... . I really fabulously lurve the NC but realise it is more for sedate solo rides on smaller lanes, where it excels imo. I have had to adjust to its power play, as it has a slow uptake, slow gentle gear changes, and an overall gentle nature. But once you `get it` and relax to its mode, it is fab! Two up, personally I would go for 1000cc? hay .. what about the crf1000? if you have super long legs? test ride one for a couple of hours .. the nc750X feels a lot different to the nc750s which I have. the X is nicer but taller and a bit heavier. Both have a low c.o.g. and feel nice and stable, but you seem to need to bank more on bends? Pushing by hand you dont really notice, until you push another heavier bike.

. Bob .. I am bound to pass you (coming the other way) one day, as I am always up mid wales. :) as you say ... great area.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

sum moor fom munday ..

I wander'd lonely with my bike, that floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a lane that led to views of trees and grass.

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”