Nordkapp Solo

Where you've been and what you done
klr.it

Re: Nordkapp Solo

Post by klr.it »

Great ride report and cracking pictures, thanks for posting. Really enjoyed the read.
AlanQ

Post by AlanQ »

bond_yzf wrote:Fantastic report mate really enjoyed that !
Out of curiosity what sort of budget did you have for the whole trip ?
Hi mate, The 990 is a bit of a thirsty beast and paying for huts & pitches solo was expensive so inc all ferries food & fuel just under £2.5K. I started off trying to log it all separately but that went pear shaped after a few days!
I'm keeping an eye on your TAT thread with interest, not sure if I'll have the budget til later on this year but will keep in touch if its do-able.
benp1992

Post by benp1992 »

Alan,

A great write up really enjoyed reading that. Made my day at work slightly more bearable. Has got me thinking if i can do Norway this year. Do you reckon it could be done cheaper the £2.5K How many days did you go for?
AlanQ

Post by AlanQ »

Hi Ben, a more economical bike would make a big difference, I reckon £800 of that was fuel. Plus the costs of traveling via Rotterdam added a lot. If I did it again I'd try and book the freight ferry out of Immingham, that would shave a lot off the time & cost, although of course you'd miss seeing a bit of Denmark/Sweden/Finland. But definitely do it! Norway is fantastic
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Thanks Alan
I too have a nordkapp trip on my bucket list! and that RR made it even more of a need now! (thumbs)
JonnyBravo

Post by JonnyBravo »

Was not being able to 'make progress' much of an issue overall on the trip ?

Whenever I have been there for business and driving it has sometimes been soul destroying going so slowly with speed traps in abundance ?
Although this is in the south

Thanks
When nothing is going right - go left
Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

AlanQ wrote:Rather late write up, I did this last August but only recently sorted my photos out.
The whole thing here
or without all my waffle just the photos here
Really enjoyed that. Planning mine for August 2018.
The report has been a big help , thanks :)
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"
AlanQ

Post by AlanQ »

JonnyBravo wrote:Was not being able to 'make progress' much of an issue overall on the trip ?
To be honest no not really, I rigidly stuck to the 50k in all the built up areas and for the motorways & open roads I was over by probably 10~20k but I never saw any speed traps or anyone pulled over. I appreciate that might be different in high season though. The thought of instant Jail for +150Kmh is rather sobering! Above all though the scenery is just so amazing that I was in no great hurry.
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

AlanQ wrote:
bond_yzf wrote:Fantastic report mate really enjoyed that !
Out of curiosity what sort of budget did you have for the whole trip ?
Hi mate, The 990 is a bit of a thirsty beast and paying for huts & pitches solo was expensive so inc all ferries food & fuel just under £2.5K. I started off trying to log it all separately but that went pear shaped after a few days!
I'm keeping an eye on your TAT thread with interest, not sure if I'll have the budget til later on this year but will keep in touch if its do-able.
Would be good to have you join on the Tat matey
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

benp1992 wrote:Alan,

A great write up really enjoyed reading that. Made my day at work slightly more bearable. Has got me thinking if i can do Norway this year. Do you reckon it could be done cheaper the £2.5K How many days did you go for?
I spent £46 on the day ferry from Hawick to Hook of Holland on the way out, and £50 for the Eurotunnel on the way back. Reckon on 14 days up to the Nordkapp and back, if that's your objective. The first two days and the last two days are just riding up and back to the Norwegian border. Yes it's boring, but realistically there's no other way. The freight ferry's actually quite expensive, and very hit and miss as to whether you get on it or not. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I camped every night, so allow about £20 a day for that, and I packed one of my panniers with food etc, so didn't need to eat out. Fuel was only about 10% dearer than in the U.K last June, and you get great mpg in Norway because of the speed limits. Mainly 80kph but still a few 90kph up north. I reckon I covered about 6k miles in total so you could probably do the maths re fuel costs. The trip can be done on a budget with a bit of forward planning. Definitely worth the effort and a great ride, once you reach Norway.

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”