Re: 2O16 EDC Maroc Ride Report

Post by SIF »

A great read, thank you !
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

vara lad wrote:Might have to join ye next year
The more the merrier....

I'll post date up soon with a rough budget.....

:)

Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

We get up the next day with the plan of riding up to the antenna towers that over look Zagora to take a few snaps. It's right outside the hotel so we'll do this before we head of bound for Zagora.

I tell Gordon he can phone home for free from here....and after ten minutes he finally catches on that you can't.

Roger is afraid to ride to such heights in case his handlebar tassels catch in his front spokes which will result in him falling over the edge of a cliff.

He rides on to Foum Zguid at a sedate pace knowing we'll see him en route later.

We ride to the radio masts for a wee peep to explore.

We ride up then ride down in true Grand Old Duke of York fashion.

Last edited by WIBO on Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

We head out of Zagora en route to Foum Zguid by blacktop and where we'll pick up fuel if we're lucky. The last two times I've been there the fuel station had no fuel.

I'm reminded to check my rear sprocket in case I've forgotten how bad it is. I thank all of the goats personally for that.

It's sedate scenic ride to Foum Zguid.

As we ride by a camel looks over slowly at our team of goats then looks away shaking its head....this should be a sign.

We ride on.....certainly beats running over a hedgehog for a pub story.

We stop here and the goats are panicking...they don't know which way to go.

I remind them that they've a GPS and to just read it. One of them says he's only got a map of Nigeria stating he thought as it was Africa it would be OK and another says his GPS hasn't been working since he bought it.....after he was spoken to it became apparent that it was a display GPS model from an Argos window on his BMW.

He bought because it was cheap and just to look like an adventure rider.

This confirms the old adage of the only cheap thing on a BMW is the rider......

We get back on our motos and ride on to Foum Zguid for lunch,fuel and to pick up the trail where we'd wild camp that night....pity it wasn't raining.

We stop and meet up with Roger.

Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

As you enter Foum Zguid there's a fuel station on the LHS....ride on and on and at a round a bout,on your left there's a row of eating places. I use Chez Rachid and where you can park the motos opposite and eat under shade opposite too.

Just beside Chez Rachid there's a barber shop.

After lunch Percy decides to get his wool clipped. I translate to the barber what Percy wants in the way of a cut; a nice clean-cut short back and sides.

We take souvenir snaps.......yes it's a sign.....

..erm...yes...it's still a sign....

sheeesh.....yes it's the sign.....

Percy sports a new look at .....erm.....the sign.

Look at his hair.....and yes it's still that sign....

As Roger too,had been reminding me to keep checking my sprocket to make sure I wouldn't get stranded and die a slow horrible death in Morocco....I reminded him how his hair looked and that he should get it cut whilst there was a barber near by.

The rest of the goats agreed and between us we convinced him he'd look like Cary Grant if he did so and he believed us.

I went with him to translate to the barber the same clean-cut short back and sides like Percy.

Roger is all happy.

I let the barber get so far then gave him 50D in secret and told him to take the rest of the day off..I told Roger he was nipping out for some hair gel.

Roger is nearly gurning once he finds out the barber is not coming back....I ask him to check my rear sprocket to see if it's OK whilst Al takes a picture of his wool.

Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

After straightening up after being doubled over laughing all of the goats crew up and head to get fuel.

Of course there was no fuel in the fuel station and the nearest is another station 20kms away. We head to it to see if it has fuel. Same scenario. We stop with a local who is pushing his moped along the side of the road,in the direction of the station,to tell him it hasn't got any. I give him two litres from my cooker stove container and he is delighted.

By chance I had seen vehicles getting fuel from a village hardware store on our way and we headed back there to see if ti had any left. By good fortune the two motos were filled and we'd ride on to meet the others at the start of the trail.

Roger thinks he has another front wheel puncture ...which he does.... we tell him to blame the person who fixed his last puncture for not doing it properly.

We meet the others and Roger checks his tyre pressure.....it is indeed slowly deflating.

We stop every five minutes or so to pump it up.

We pick up the trail where we'll wild camp later.

Gordon spots a camel herders tent and wonders if there is a TV in there so he can catch up with Coronation Street....he was told not to be silly...you can only watch East Enders.

Pity it wasn't raining.....

Great trails....

We check the GPS for the time the sun will set and then look for a place to make camp far away from any vampire giraffe nests.

Last edited by WIBO on Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Al chooses a great place to camp and we make camp at a relaxed pace with plenty of time to spare before the sun goes down.

Roger repairs a puncture.

Pity it wasn't raining.....before long a camel herder arrives from out of nowhere. I chat to him and Al gives him a cigarette. Roger gives him some fuel and he is delighted with both.

Here we have one local adventure moto BMW GS 650 loaded for desert camping.....the blanket that you sit on is the blanket you'll sleep under that night. We're doing it wrong. :)

We have everything sorted and we relax for the sun going down. Three more camel herders arrive and we engage in conversation. They're all a great bunch of lads demanding nothing but company.

Jon relaxes.....

Look at his hair.....

I gather every one round an tell them not to miss the sun setting on Ayers Rock...I get them all take pictures so they can tell all their friends and family back at home about the day they saw Ayers Rock.

I chat with one of the camel herders in his broken French...the rest only speak Arabic. He likes my moto and I offer him a ride on it. He's delighted. I push him off on it and he makes a big oval.

I offer one of his buddies a go too.

He's a happy chappy....motos are the thing we have in common....because I didn't bring my camel.

He gets his moto to play on too.....

The camel herders accept an invite to eat with us.....You can't find this experience with a paid organised tour

After we finish eating the camel herders leave and come back about 3Omins later....kindly they had walked back to their tent and brought back tea making pruk to make us tea as a thank you for the meal invitation.

They light a fire with brush and set about making tea for us all. Again...when you venture of the beaten track this is what you find by chance more often than not.

We bed down and leave Jon on watch in case of vampire giraffes.

The camel herders saunter over to their adventure motos,put their blankets on the ground and go to sleep on same....30 seconds to make camp.

Last edited by WIBO on Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

We waken the next morning and gather round for breakfast. The locals like sachets of cappuccino and biscuits but not Thai soup.

30 seconds to pack their adventure motos..

This camel herder is very pleased with the Touratwat Klim Big Agnes Coleman chair from China.

Will It Buff Out?

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”