EDC 2016 Maroc Ride Report

Where you've been and what you done
WIBO

EDC 2016 Maroc Ride Report

Post by WIBO »

If this is article is read with Firefox or Chrome browser and you have an installed extension to ' allow to see Photobucket Images ' or some such keywords.......... then all images will be seen. I don't know if this will change over time but it's just what Photobucket have done.

So....in true 'Team of Goats' tradition I prepped my moto for a ride out to Maroc .....

I give the suspension pivots a good greasing and my head stock grease nipple its monthly couple of pumps....a check over ref. brake pads etc and a new rear Mitas E07 tyre was mounted.

Roger would be bringing me a new front Mitas EO7 from the UK that I would mount in Maroc on a rest day.

To eliminate any problem coming from an old chain kit I replaced it with a new kit.

Of course as was to be seen later, all was not as it seemed relative to said chain kit.

I packed my moto in readiness for a rendezvous with 5 other riders from the UK. There'd be a few nights wild camping planned so full camping kit was packed. I had a dry bag this year for the first time as I was taking stuff to pass over to a friend there. My rear rack is usually only used to strap water bottles to it.

We'd rv in a clean, cheap and cheerful hostel in Spain, as they were arriving into Spain on the Plymouth to Santander ferry. Three of the riders had been to Maroc before and therefore by simple maths...erm...two others hadn't.

Here you can see my Suzuki 1500cc V Strom fully loaded up.

A Touratwat special aluminium/titanium/cast iron tea cup was purchased specially for this trip (€75.99 available from all good make up suppliers)

It is mounted in a conspicuous place on the front of my right hand pannier to show it off to other riders.

If you zoom in on the picture you can see an extension lead in the background at my rear wheel.

Off I rode in dry weather into Spain via Col du Pourtalet and on down passing through El Formigal ski station. Normally it's baltic and wet.

I stopped at Arguis to stretch my legs at the lake side and to throw a stone into the water to spoil it.

I rode on to Caceres where I'd rv with the rest of the Goats that evening.....a dry, autoroute ride just to cover distance. The only event was that I got pulled over by the traffic police for a document check...they were able to point out the very serious offence of my number plate not being vertical... who'd a thunk it eh?

I arrived and booked in. It cost €18 with a simple breakfast of bread and coffee. It's been the same price these last four years. If you email the reception they actually answer back promptly and in English.

It's located here N 39 28 843 W 005 26 499

We'd dander into the town centre later for a meal.

Alistair arrived first on his Honda Gold Wing.

He was in great pain having bent his finger nail back whilst putting on his glove earlier.... after I sang him a nursery rhyme to take his mind of it he was all happy again. I of course commented on his hair style.

Roger arrived next on his GS1200 carrying my front tyre.

I of course commented on his hairstyle.

Next Jon arrived on his Africa Twin...

I of course commented on his.........hairstyle....

We went in and got booked in. The other two would arrived later as the group had become separated, in true EDC fashion....excellent, it had started...

Just as we had finished putting our kit in our rooms Gordon and Percy arrived. Here we can see Gordon's Honda Crossfire fully kitted out.

I have a picture of Percy on his Triumph 800 Tiger somewhere....

I of course commented on their hairstyles.

Park the motos in under the above balcony .....
Last edited by WIBO on Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Will It Buff Out?
Tramp

Re: 2O16 EDC Maroc Ride Report

Post by Tramp »

At last a thread worth reading......im.all ears lol
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

strangest v strom I've ever seen :laugh:
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

We dandered up into the town centre to get fed. It was noted that there were quite a few pretty Spanish females dandering about. I didn't look though.

Here we can have beer and pizza amongst other things..Rogers bottom dentures have fallen out.

Will It Buff Out?
luckiegar

Post by luckiegar »

Loving it so far (thumbs)
Heff

Post by Heff »

+1 (thumbs)
If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black
videoman

Post by videoman »

Great photos and TR so far, looking forward to the next one.
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

After a bit of a bender we dander back and bed down. We get up the next day, have breakfast and head off in dry sunshine after getting fuel, bound for the moto park at Algeciras Port. Normally it's baltic and wet.

Its an uneventful ride through Seville, only stopping for fuel and munchies.

Tip.....if it's busy and you arrive at the massive suspension bridge in Seville, get into the very right hand lane as soon as you can because you'll be peeling off on a short right hand slip at the end of it.

We buy a one way ticket at the port itself, from the ferry operators official outlet in the main terminal ignoring ticket touts trying to direct us to their agency. A one way ticket is about €58 or so for a rider and moto.

You can see how they're all nearly gurning having to spend money.

A one way ticket means there's never any rush upon the return to be at the port for a given time and thus no stress or pressure.

By coincidence we ride out though passport control and directly onto a waiting ferry. This is the first time this has happened :)

We set sail bound for Tanger Med port.

Look!!...Jon's all happy going to Africa....

Once on board head to passport control and fill out the form. For visiting just write Hotel Fès Fès. If it's your first time you wont have a CIN number. if you've been before it'll be in your passport if it's still in date.

For the moto it's easier if you go onto this site and complete the temporary vehicle import..the customs dudes have a hand held scanner that they can ping...failing that you'll have to fill the forms out by hand. Once they're processing your moto ask them what police booth is open and present yourself there to get registered with your passport. Once this is done you're in the system for future visits to Maroc.

http://www.douane.gov.ma/web/guest/d16t ... formAT.jsf

Here we can see my AJS Stormer and Jon's Honda C90 waiting to get through customs. Normally its baltic and wet.

Importantly, if you look closely you can see a potted plant in the background.

Once through customs we can then go to lift money out from an ATM situated within the confines of the terminal area. here you can also buy insurance for your moto if your UK company won't cover you. If the offices are closed there is an hotel close by that you can stay in..then return the next day. Failing that theres another office in Tanger Port itself at N 35 47 355 W 005 48 329

Usual office hours seem to be 0800-1930 but it's Maroc so these times can be subject to local interpretation :)

N 35 52 264 W 005 31 198 for the offices and ATM's.

I usually lift 2000Dirhams in one hit as this will do for several days. I round it off to 2000D = €200 for a rough idea of whats what.

We get through customs and head off towards Asilah where we'll stay for the night. There'll be a couple of cheap tolls to Asilah. The first one will be about 12D and the second 34D upon exciting at Asilah.

The hotel Al Khaima that I use is at N 35 28 496 W 006 01 516 and was 320D pp in a two bed room with breakfast included. Breakfasts here are good and of a buffet nature. Evening meals can be bought here too and the hotel also has a bar and WiFi. Beer will be 25D a can.

It also had chairs like these......

Look!! .....a picture of the hotel....

....and it has a new sign!!!

We eat there that night and bed down after I have to tell each of them a bedtime story to help them sleep.

The next morning we'll head to get fuel in the Main Street and head in the direction of Midelt. Normally we might head to Marakech where we'd have a rest day following. This time we head to see the finish of the Oil Libya Rallye in Merzouga. This'll be four days riding instead of three.

Whilst waiting on the rest of them I listen to the Archers......

We load our bikes up and I spy a BSA Bantam and a Triumph Tiger 100 in striking orange and green colours respectively

A few students walk past on their way to school,complete with wooden boards for writing on..they're immediately accosted by Al and Roger.....weird...I know.

Once the students leave Roger and Al throw stones at them.... I grab them each by an ear and knock their heads together and tell them to crew up as we've to get fuel...honestly!!!!!

Fuel here is 135D/L It's a Shell station on the Main Street at N 35 27 825 W 006 01 852

Roger attempts to ride off on his Yamaha XTZ600 without paying before the server shouts at him...

Whilst filling up Al approaches telling us that a local has broken down and that he needs tools. I automatically think we'll be behind schedule.....then I catch myself on thinking like this as any local would stop and help us if broken down.

His Docker had blown a head gasket. He had had work done on it and instead of fitting a thicker head gasket two had been fitted resulting in it blowing out.

Al lends a hand by getting him what tools he'll need....

Whilst he works I catch some of the others stealing apples from under his tarpaulin... I make them say sorry.

I have a wee peep into the motor pretending I know what I'l talking about........

He points to a blown turbo and I agree.....

His crash helmet is sitting the wrong way round so I tell him that that probably has something to do with it too.....

Unfortunately nothing could be done so we had to head on....he was a nice chap.

We ride off to join the autoroute south,bound for Meknes and on to Midelt.Normally it's wet and baltic.

Apart from 176,000 speed traps...all goes swimmingly.

We stop for fuel and food as we cruise along taking it all in....

Here one can see the new Touratwat screen spoiler by Puig that's fitted to my GS650 ( €181.99 available from all good Starbucks outlets).....speaking of crap of bikes....this spoiler just broke in two a few years ago whilst riding on an autoroute.... I guess I didn't order the Deluxe version.

It still works if I lean over to my right and duck down in behind it....I suppose I should replace it sometime.

Jon was told off for wearing a BMW jacket and riding an Africa Twin Transalp. A big no no apparently.

:)

Will It Buff Out?
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Not more Irish drivel , shit bikes ,shit place but all great stuff Keith (thumbs)
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

PHILinFRANCE wrote:Not more Irish drivel , shit bikes ,shit place but all great stuff Keith (thumbs)

What? What'd I say?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:)

Will It Buff Out?

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”