GSA's can go anywhere.......

Where you've been and what you done
ollydog

Re: GSA's can go anywhere.......

Post by ollydog »

if you go to the main manufactures training days they always make available the big bikes
also i bet the pavey bloke is shite at fishing

steve
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

What a load of shit....sorry mike for a good post yet again dragged down ....makes yoi wonder why we even bother posting ridereports....
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Dazzer wrote:
beddowsm wrote:
-Ralph- wrote: It probably was the wrong tyres in this instance, but that means the bike wasn't suitably equipped to take it down a route that was muddy.
Lets just be clear.........none of the trails done at the weekend were unsuitable for a GSA. They were all straight forward lanes. That doesn't mean they were not challenging in parts for the big bikes. But it was a big bike friendly route suitable for novice riders.

Accidents happen and they could happen anywhere. Yes, there was mud at the section where the incident occurred, but nothing serious. Just bad luck on the riders part....and very unfortunate that there was a drop close by.
This is what gets me thinking…The word " Novice " and BIG BIKE …are maybe not the best way to learn Trail riding. But then again what the hell do I know . Things have changed and I'm stuck in the past when as a Kid you bought a cheap dirt bike to learn off roading on. :S
I never mentioned anything about learning to trail ride on a big bike. Just stated that the route was suitable for novices on big bikes to give an indication of what type of ride it was.

Plus, you have to start somewhere on a big bike. Even if youre experienced on a small bike, you are still a novice on a big bike the moment you get on it if never been big before. You cant expect to be a riding wizard on a 250, then get on a 1200 and be exactly the same type of rider.
herman

Post by herman »

I am exactly the same on my S10 as my exc Mike...pretty crap. Glad bike and rider were smiling and the photos will be a pub talking point. Luck of the draw I reckon. B)
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

Before we had decent off roaders people used to go off the tarmac on bikes like triumph twins and the Americans even used big Harleys. Bikes have come on a long way since then and yes the big BMW,s etc will struggle occasionally on technical trails and are heavy to pick up etc but surely the point is we are all on bikes and love getting out into the countryside ,riding with friends and enjoying ourselves. I personally would not even ride my BMW F800gs far off the beaten track because i am old,unfit and was never a particularly good rider. This doesn,t mean to say it,s an unsuitable bike......just unsuitable for me. I have ridden off road on seriously difficult trails for 20+ years on lighter more focused machines but am then thinking i need something different for the road sections. There is no such thing as a do it all bike but some of us find one that will do most things ok.I am always willing to help out other riders and hope when the need arises they would do the same for me. (thumbs)
Dazzer

Post by Dazzer »

beddowsm wrote:
Dazzer wrote:
beddowsm wrote:
-Ralph- wrote: It probably was the wrong tyres in this instance, but that means the bike wasn't suitably equipped to take it down a route that was muddy.
Lets just be clear.........none of the trails done at the weekend were unsuitable for a GSA. They were all straight forward lanes. That doesn't mean they were not challenging in parts for the big bikes. But it was a big bike friendly route suitable for novice riders.

Accidents happen and they could happen anywhere. Yes, there was mud at the section where the incident occurred, but nothing serious. Just bad luck on the riders part....and very unfortunate that there was a drop close by.
This is what gets me thinking…The word " Novice " and BIG BIKE …are maybe not the best way to learn Trail riding. But then again what the hell do I know . Things have changed and I'm stuck in the past when as a Kid you bought a cheap dirt bike to learn off roading on. :S
I never mentioned anything about learning to trail ride on a big bike. Just stated that the route was suitable for novices on big bikes to give an indication of what type of ride it was.

Plus, you have to start somewhere on a big bike. Even if youre experienced on a small bike, you are still a novice on a big bike the moment you get on it if never been big before. You cant expect to be a riding wizard on a 250, then get on a 1200 and be exactly the same type of rider.
I'm sorry but were going to have to agree to disagree.

I had been taking riders trail riding for many years and there was always someone that would fall off, thats what you expect to happen when you trail ride . We all fall off at some point.

Then after the LWR came out things started to change. It brought more people to the Big trail bike scene.

Which is not a bad thing in its self. However…
The ride outs that I would lead started to get lots of new to the pastime riders turning up on Very big bikes . Most had little if any off road experience .

This resulted in Falls that damaged many bikes and we had Broken limbs ( yes I'm aware this can happen on small bikes but in 20 years pre 2004 we never had a off road injury resulting in air ambulance or hospital; visit )

I also disagree that if you have learned on a say 400 cc trail bike that your a novice if you jump onto a Big bike. You will have learned control and know how to control a bike on the dirt.

Like Kato ( Dave ) says. It also resulted in most of us spending the day dragging Massive bikes out of ruts or mud. Had the new rider turned up on a DR or XR or the like the bike is easer for them to pick up themselves if dropped and less likely to break their lower leg is a slow off in ruts and they would learn more and have far more fun .

Like I said. I'm now in a minority on this subject . Things have changed and if riders wish to ride their new Big bikes off road thats their choice and I sincerely hope they have a great time and take to the hobby.

I Just believe that starting out on smaller bikes is safer and more fun.
Dazzer

Post by Dazzer »

sorry dam macbook posted twice .
rallymoto

Post by rallymoto »

i think is great that guys giving it a go ,here at sweet lamb adventure bike academy we show "how to start"on a big bike...............,your right, riding a 250/350 is easy....its not difficult to ride a big bike off road it has some limitations ,its finding them thats the key ,....tyres did look iffy though !!:-)good on yo for giving it a go,
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

Having done these lanes many times I can honestly say most of this ride could be done in an ice cream van. So it's the perfect ride to have a go on a big GSA safe in the knowledge that you have plenty of more than willing volunteers ready to help and encourage you if it goes wrong. This was a one in a million accident that ended unbelievably well. I'm so glad that man and bike were relatively unharmed,and I'm even more glad that I was there to help, as I made new friends and had such a laugh trying to get the beast out and we all now have an awesome story to tell. A massive thanks to all involved. (thumbs) (thumbs) (thumbs)

PS,, Any help Corbus received was Karma for all his help on the road, when the group got split up he took the lead with his gps to get us to to the start and then became tail end charlie to allow us to catch the main group. (thumbs)
rallymoto

Post by rallymoto »

lots of good things said about the event .....hats off to all !!!!

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”