RTW in dribs and drabs - off-road Ride Report - Iceland, Iraqi border, Korean DMZ, Alaska + beyond!

Where you've been and what you done
Neil M

Re: RTW in dribs and drabs - off-road Ride Report - Iceland, Iraqi border, Korean DMZ, Alaska + beyond!

Post by Neil M »

Man, what a trip. Makes my Pyrenean jaunt look like a ride to the shops. Fantastic, keep it coming.

N.
jim-500

Re: RTW in dribs and drabs - off-road Ride Report - Iceland, Iraqi border, Korean DMZ, Alaska + beyond!

Post by jim-500 »

So, we're back in the UK after 9 months on the road. And I've more or less got all the Canada pics off the camera! What an amazing country for trail riding, just miles and miles of mountain tracks, logging roads and wilderness! We spent almost 5 months in western Canada, We rode to over 8000ft on singletrack, wild camped for weeks, washed in lakes, lived off soup, dodged black bears and covered almost 10,000 miles from Vancouver Island, through the Yukon, Alberta and the Rockies.

I have mountains of pics and stories...but for now, have a post of Sunday morning teasers! :) (complete with abr stickers B) )

diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

Fantastic shots and Cass is certainly one gutsy rider , (thumbs)
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Superb stuff B)
one-legged adventurer
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

(thumbs) Great pics guys and wierdly i'm starting to like the "no faces thing" ;)
jim-500

Post by jim-500 »

diggermanbob wrote:Fantastic shots and Cass is certainly one gutsy rider , (thumbs)
Cheers guys! B)

That she is! 18 months ago she had never even ridden offroad! Some of the river crossings etc since have scared the shit outta me so yep...gutsy! :) Gonna have to "put a ring on it" before the next big trip! ;) :)
jim-500

Post by jim-500 »

PHILinFRANCE wrote:(thumbs) Great pics guys and wierdly i'm starting to like the "no faces thing" ;)
Ha, :lol: ...don't worry, there are some face pics to come. But really we aimed to focus the ride report on the riding/bikes first and foremost! I know some ride reports have some incredible stories focused around the personal development/people met/relationships etc but I guess we felt those experiences were "our trip" while the motorbiking/trails was the bit to take pictures of! I know when I read ride reports on here/advrider I want to see dirt bikes so...there are lots of pics of dirt bikes! :P

But ...heres a few pics of me from infront of the camera just to prove I don't have a helmet for a head!

jim-500

Post by jim-500 »

So it's dark and cold and I'm missing being out on the road a bit so now feels as good a time as any to get back to this ride report and get on with the Canada section.

So we arrived in Vancouver and hopped onto the ferry to VanIsle - it's a 2 hour ferry journey and was our first look at the huge mountains and landscapes we hoped to ride over the next 6 months!

We shacked up with a friend on one of the little coastal islands and made ourselves useful while ordering kit, trying out our gear and scouring the classifieds for some cheap dirt bikes! Not a bad place to stop for a week or so! B)

Cass got lucky and found a really good nick Dr200 for reasonable money about a few hours away, so this seemed like a decent bet and what a cool little bike it turned out to be!

I got maybe a little less lucky and found a KLX250 a bit further away that had obviously been dropped on it's side, what I didn't realise was that it had some damage to the fan and radiator...no worries we pitched up outside a local chinese restaurant and set to work on changing the fluids and fixing the fan!

So there we had it, 2 bikes, visas and insurance for 6 months and the whole of Canada to our east!

We started by heading into the logging roads around Nanaimo to get a feel for what parts we needed to order for the bikes!

WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Any update by chance?

:D

Will It Buff Out?
MudFing

Post by MudFing »

WIBO wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:58 am Any update by chance?

:D

Sadly it looks like photobucket has put an end to all the photos in here, I don't know if theres anyway I can recover them from the links, not sure I have time to go back and find/edit/upload 700 or so photos. But as for an update, sure why not! :D I'll see if I can dig out the rest of the canada photos, but for now we have just got back from a quick trip on cb500's...who says you need dirt tyres! :p

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”