The Billy no mates tour of Europe

Where you've been and what you done
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I've previously mentioned that I was going to be doing a trip around Eastern Europe and anywhere else that took my fancy for a few weeks and thought I'd better put something here as a kind of rolling review of where I've been.

I left home on Wednesday evening to catch the ferry from Harwich to the Hook of Holland and the KTM traumatised me by refusing to do anything when I pressed the tit to start it. I'd had it running an hour earlier so I swore a lot, took my holdall off the pillion seat then waggled a couple of wires and it started. I considered delaying my departure by a day but thought that a faint heart never gets you anywhere and left as planned.

110 miles later I filled up with unleaded, boarded the boat and caned the beers until bedtime.

Day 2 Hook of Holland to Przewoz (Poland)
Dull motorway bashing but I'd got it in my head to get to Poland because it's cheaper than stopping in Germany. That was 575 miles with only the last 15 or so off motorways but it's out of the way and I paid €30 for a room, dinner, 3 beers and my breakfast so I was happy with that.

Absolutely nothing worth taking photos of but at least it didn't rain. A slight downside is that the fuel gauge on the bike doesn't like Europe and hasn't worked since I got off the boat but I know 200 miles of 75mph cruising leaves me about 4-5 litres in the tank so that's when I fill up.

Day 3 Przewoz to Zilina (Slovakia)
I set my Garmin to the curvy roads option punched in Zilina as a vague destination and set off. Why does it think that curvy roads for the first 30 and the last 50 miles out of a total of 330 miles is acceptable? It isn't :(
Once I was past Ostrava I was off motorways and I could see hills in the distance then once I reached them it was good riding. The route went over a couple of ridges in a series of up and down curves very much like the Black Forest but nowhere to pull over to take photos apart from in villages so I didn't bother.

I used booking.com to select a hotel at my last fuel stop and it seems to be a winner. Starter, main course and 4 beers for €14 and because we're forecast to get thunderstorms today I've booked in for 2 nights. It's only €30 for a suite with a living room then an upstairs bedroom plus the bike is in a locked garage so I'll wander into town today and just do some sight seeing and chill out before having a proper look at the Tatra mountains tomorrow.

I've no idea where I'll stop but it'll be between 2-300 miles away and further from home. That's planning at its best (thumbs)
Har65

Re: The Billy no mates tour of Europe

Post by Har65 »

Good luck Andy
Inspiring post .
RandG

Post by RandG »

Brilliant, I love a plan that involves no plan (thumbs)

As for curvy roads on the garmin, what a load oh pish that is, waste of money getting the 390 over the 350 IMO, takes you through town centers and everything :angry:
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I only paid the extra for the 390 because of the curvy roads option so it's disappointing when it doesn't do what it claims but that's not the worst part, every so often it refuses to switch on which means reverting to scribbled notes on a bit of paper in the map panel on my tank bag. Not a major problem because I navigated my way around Europe like that for years and a spent a wedge of cash on Michelin maps to cover everywhere I might go.

It usually starts with a combination of holding down the on/off button and randomly pressing the screen and my wife told me to take her 350 with me as a back up but I didn't bother :pinch:

I might buy a cheap car satnav to stick in the map pocket as a back up but then again I might just wing it and use my phone for the last mile or two to a hotel.
Diesel Pete

Post by Diesel Pete »

Brilliant!! I cant wait to hear more reports of your trip Andy (thumbs)

Pictures too please :whistle:
Dutchgit

Post by Dutchgit »

Hook of Holland towards Poland ? You'll have probably missed my house by about 1 mile...
Remember that on the way back.
Have fun in the mean time. (thumbs)

Right here: https://www.google.de/maps/place/Elten, ... 3001?hl=en

Cheers, Ard
It'll end in tears I tells ya.
AirbusPaul

Post by AirbusPaul »

Have a good trip Andy , Plenty of reports , Ride safe (thumbs)
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

My backup satnav option are the free Navmii apps http://navmii.com for my smartphone. They are also handy for when I'm walking around various towns sightseeing. I just set my landmark destination, stick the phone in my inside pocket to keep it safe, plug in the headphones & I have audible satnav directions to whichever landmark I'm going.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I'm not really bothered about the sat nav, it's a bugger if you can't read maps but I can and I've got a lot of them with me.

I seem to have picked the perfect day to walk into Zilina because there's an open air music festival in the town and lots of stalls selling beer and food. The band currently playing kicked off with Valerie by the Zutons and moved on to a very good cover of Belfast Child by Simple Minds. I might be sitting here for a while (thumbs)

More idle ramblings with added expletives can be found by those with a Twitter account at AndyB_11 but don't complain if you look and it gets a bit sidetracked.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Cracking trip

Been that way 15 years ago (9/11/2001 exactly & that was a spooky day)

I remember Ostrava etc

I was on my way to Budapest to meet a beautiful Hungarian girl & we took a week's hols on my GS, to the Balkans ;)

Ironically she lives in the uk now

Never made the Tatras & Zakopane

I feel a trip coming on later this summer to see Eastern Europe again - solo, like you

Watching with interest - do some pics to inspire me
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”