little jolly to N.Wales

Where you've been and what you done
Phil

little jolly to N.Wales

Post by Phil »

Hi

Was at home the other Friday night watching Glastonbury on the TV and felt sad because I wasn’t there (I love my festivals) so thought…….sod it, im going to bugger of to north Wales on my bike for the weekend. So….i did.

Been there loads of times and most of the time it rains…..a lot….but not this time!

On my way up i forgot how good the B roads are up through Bishops Castle and through to Welshpool…got me in the mood for proper N.Wales roads.

Road some of my favourite roads around Bala – B4391, A4212, B4501
DSCN0291-edit.jpg
DSCN0291-edit.jpg (46.91 KiB) Viewed 2236 times
Then headed out towards Pwllheli and Nefyn as ive never been that way before. Nice mixture of scenery, nice roads and great coast views.
DSCN0297-edit.jpg
DSCN0297-edit.jpg (39.08 KiB) Viewed 2236 times
Then headed of towards Lanberris using the B4418 down towards Beddgelert, some great views around there……and some tight turns!
DSCN0304-edit.jpg
DSCN0304-edit.jpg (46.66 KiB) Viewed 2236 times
DSCN0306-edit.jpg
DSCN0306-edit.jpg (41.54 KiB) Viewed 2236 times
Had to ride the Lanberris pass as the day was so clear I knew the views would be brill…and they were!

DSCN0315-edit.jpg
DSCN0315-edit.jpg (41.31 KiB) Viewed 2236 times
DSCN0320-edit.jpg
DSCN0320-edit.jpg (35.76 KiB) Viewed 2236 times
Im a big Fan of north Wales (and in wales general) and there are to many great roads to list, its hard to find a naff road actually.

Highlight of the weekend had to be riding the A5 from Bangor down to Betws-y-coed and having it all to my self……how lucky?!? It was great using the whole width of the road….felt like I was racing the TT :

The only minor downside were that there were 1 to many groups of sport bike riders riding like fools…but I want go into that.
jasext

Re: little jolly to N.Wales

Post by jasext »

Some stunning scenery up there ,nice pics and report
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

I also like North Wales....but prefer my rides off the tarmac, some great trails and scenery in the area.

Good photos.
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

Yeah, it's great when you can do something like that just on the spur of the moment. I was thinking of doing something similar but Saturday got highjacked (had to take my son's girlfriend to the airport for an early flight) so I decided to just go off for the day on Sunday.

Watching Glasto on the box made me think I'd head down that way (no idea why?) and then I thought I'd keep going and visit a friend down near Exeter. Got there - no one in :( . No problem, I'll try somebody else I know up towards Barnstable. After an hour of riding through the Devon bocage (and one slight excursion into a ditch) I got there - no one in! A bit more sightseeing and I headed home. 372 miles for the day. No point to the trip but I really enjoyed being on the bike for the day.

An email to the friend nr Exeter got the reply - "Sorry I missed you, I'm in Mexico"

The ups and downs of 40 years on two wheels

www.pisquicktours.co.uk

Do the best you can, then try to live it down.

CCM604 Honda XR600 Honda CBX1000

Honda 400/4 Yamaha XS2 650 Kawasaki H1 500

Lotus Elan, Land Rover Discovery
rolyttr

Post by rolyttr »

Glad you enjoyed the roads in my neck of the woods. Some great roads, lots actually. Great scenery as well! Some nice photos there.

Like Mike says though, (beddowsm), the trails are even better!

No sportsbikes on them.......(even though I got one of them as well).

PS, It doesn't always rain in Wales, although I do live on "sunny Anglesey".
Simba

Post by Simba »

Hi Roly,,I hope you'r well..Any recommondation to camp site around this area..I am thinking of a visit to North or mid Wales in the next couple of weeks (Weekend camping)..
Phil

Post by Phil »

rolyttr wrote:Glad you enjoyed the roads in my neck of the woods. Some great roads, lots actually. Great scenery as well! Some nice photos there.

Like Mike says though, (beddowsm), the trails are even better!

quote]

Very Jealous you live in N.Wales! im off to Anglesey for 2 nights in Sept. In time i would like to move to the Wrexham/Chester area so i can be close to N.Wales.

Not got an off roader.....yet;) Once i get something (prob something like a TTR600) i will be exploring a whole new side to north wales :lol:

SIMBA - as for Camping in N.Wales...there are SO many places! the only thing i will say is in July/August its gets really busy.
rolyttr

Post by rolyttr »

Sam,

I haven't really done much camping locally, but there are loads of places and it depends on the area where you are wanting to camp.

Maybe put up a forum subject for some suggestions, I'm sure plenty of people will have some good places they have been too.

Hope to see you out on the trails again some time. Are you going to get a smaller bike to get some practice on?

Roly
rolyttr

Post by rolyttr »

Phil,

It's a great place to live and play, if you can get work.

Wrexham and Chester are close enough to get to all the roads and trails further into Wales.

Hope you enjoy your visit Anglesey!

Roly
Simba

Post by Simba »

Thanks Roly.. I will look up the websites and see what comes available,, As of small bike, not yet, (I have to sell before I can buy otherwise I will be camping all the time )
I'm hoping to get some confidence on my @ otherwise I have to consider smaller bike..
Hope to see you soon.. Regs to Tim pls

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”