Uk to Montenegro.

Where you've been and what you done
Tonibe63

Re: Uk to Montenegro.

Post by Tonibe63 »

Day 12 Transit day, lots of miles inland Croatia, road works=gravel/mud/rain/rutts for miles, proper wet/muddy=down day :( , grab hotel, shower/meal/beer+log fire=happy again.

The title says it all really.
I'd had this 'romantic dream' of dropping Lou off at an Airport to fly home and I could carry on to ........... who knows where but a couple of days earlier I had realised that whenever I'm on my own, and see something really special or experience something, I always wish that a certain somebody was there with me to share it with :blush: :blush: :blush: :sick: so I'd decided to ride North in the general direction of Home with Lou on the back. Now every longish trip has a 'down day' where the weather is bad, the roads are boring, there is no destination as such and your head isn't in the right place, suffice to say this was it.

The only highlight of the day was whilst grabbing a coffee/petrol at a Motorway service station when a coach load of South Korean tourist pulled up and promptly gathered around us. The only English speaking person then started asking questions about where we were from, how many miles had we ridden, how much the bike cost etc etc and when he translated back to his fellow passengers there was a group "ooooohhhhhhhh" followed by a click of camera shutters from the gathered Minions. They all disappeared as quickly as they'd arrived whilst we just looked at each other, shook our heads and laughed as if to say WTF was that all about-a very surreal moment.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Day 13 Plitvice Lakes only 10km's from hotel, sun's up, 5 hours of rivers/waterfalls/flooded walkways/boat trips are well worth yesterdays shite. Mid afternoon we make tracks for coast, fantastic road, hang on to 5 Slovenian riders for 30km's taking bends at twice the speed limit, pannier really banging on mudgaurd now :? .

Our refuge from the rains of yesterday

Lou finds a 4 star apartment with pool and sea view for 40 Euros, pizza+beer tea in the village, what a cracking day.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Day 14 Transit day=motorways, Croatia/Slovenia/Italy, eventually turn off to ride few pass's before grabbing hotel near Cortina (no campsites open).

Day 15 Coffee/sunshine/bikes/Dolomite Mountains=life is good. Return to ride my favourite road from Cortina to Canazei=WOW, no cloud today, cable car up to top of mountain=magical .......... f'kin WOW!!!!!!!!! If tomorrow never comes ......................

Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Day 16 Austria/German Border, Garmisch/Oberammergau/Fussen.
1pm resigned ourselves to heading home, looking forward to seeing the Family but also very sad that there is nothing 'new/different' to see, nothing to take our breath away. Germany=forest/hills/valleys/rain :( . Make good progress but rain/dark stops play so a small town hotel is a means to an end. Owner can't believe how far we've been, his GSXR only does 100km's each time it goes out. He's sceptical as I book a return tunnel for 8pm tomorrow.

Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Day 17 Good breakfast and hit the road, make good time, 2pm lunch in Brugge central square 8-) .

Get to the tunnel early, next available crossing 6.20pm no extra cost=yes please.
10pm arrive home, family all well, dog nearly bursts a blood vessel :lol: .
4,000 miles added to the bike
over 1,000 photo's taken
a couple of grand+ poorer
but a whole lot richer :D :D :D :D
Day 18 unpack
Day 19 .................. we're both missing the bike :lol: :lol:
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

That looks brilliant and great photos.I'm fancying Croatia next year although I don't think I'll have enough time to make it as far as Montenegro. (thumbs)
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

Thanks for posting. Nice pics.

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

sprintster wrote:That looks brilliant and great photos.I'm fancying Croatia next year although I don't think I'll have enough time to make it as far as Montenegro. (thumbs)
It's only an extra day... or take two and go a bit further south into Albania... go on, you know you want to...

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

23 hours for 1200 miles going from Ijmuiden to Kotor. Admittedly motorways to just past Lubiljana and 90 miles in Croatia gets you there in 4 days, 3 days with 6 hours in the saddle.

Been to many of the places that Tonibe63 has been to, except Montenegro, and I'll agree about having the other half makes more than twice the difference to the memories.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

Dave DRZ wrote:
sprintster wrote:That looks brilliant and great photos.I'm fancying Croatia next year although I don't think I'll have enough time to make it as far as Montenegro. (thumbs)
It's only an extra day... or take two and go a bit further south into Albania... go on, you know you want to...

Dave
I do want to but as I live in the north of Scotland it's a days ride just to get to Newcastle and then on overnight ferry so that's two days and two nights out of my holidays for a start.I'd rather ride decent roads anywhere than spend days on motorways just to say I'd been somewhere.The Dolomites and Croatia sound like a plan though. :)

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”