Uk to Montenegro.

Where you've been and what you done
jackdaw

Re: Uk to Montenegro.

Post by jackdaw »

Thanks for posting. Great pics. Thinking of going that way myself this summer.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

cheers for posting .....remember slovenia well...I will be back (thumbs)
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

I'm happy to have the fun of the continental motorways to get to Montenegro, and I'm also in the far north so the Newcastle ferry is the almost sensible option. I have a need to get to Montenegro after having to put it off for two years. I know there's Eurobiketrans, but you're almost following the bike down to Florence, and nothing else saves much time, but costs loads. Been to the Dolomites and they are sublime, and including Slovenia into the mix would be a real biking holiday.
herman

Post by herman »

Thanks for that, just what is needed on a cold winter's day.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
herman

Post by herman »

You northern chaps can always stop off here as we are 20 mins from Pompey. 2 days from Yours to here then you get to ride down through France,Austria, Slovenia, which is grin inducing.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Thanks for the comments folks (thumbs) .
The motorway stuff is a real hard slog for me these days but there is such a contrast in scenery doing this sort of route that it makes up for it. There's the grey Alpine rock of the Stelvio and Grossglockner, the sandy/pink of the Dolomites, lush mountains and gorges of Slovenia, lakes and coast roads of Croatia/Montenegro and a little bit of culture with Brugge, Dubrovnik and Kotor old Town. And of course once you get to Italy/Austria there are some amazing roads linking it all up (thumbs) .
Being a late trip the weather was always going to be a bit risky which mean't we only camped 3 times during the trip and in hindsight I probably wouldn't take the camping gear next time.
The day visit in to Montenegro was worth the extra push because you have to cross the border and buy insurance which all adds to the adventurous feeling.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

I'm still a relative newbie to this continental touring so loads of places and good roads to ride yet before I will feel the need to batter on to get further afield,I think.
Gorge du Verdon,Route Napoleon and back up through Switzerland planned for July.That should be another couple ticked of the bucket list! (thumbs)
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

Great that thanks, going to Slovenia myself in July via The Grossglockner then back via Vrsic, Stelvio and a few others.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

Planning a ride down to Greece/Turkey in May via Slovenia and Croatia so was really interested in your trip. Great post.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

dubber68 wrote:Planning a ride down to Greece/Turkey in May via Slovenia and Croatia so was really interested in your trip. Great post.
One option I looked at was getting the bike to Nice or Florence depending on the carrier then hopping across the Adriatic on an overnight ferry to Greece and then onto Istanbul. Then ride back through the Balkans.

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”