Trans-Am 500 - the seven year itch

Where you've been and what you done
SteveW

Re: Trans-Am 500 - the seven year itch

Post by SteveW »

Ok Simon,
You can order the tat in either GPS or road book/map form (some folk order GPS and road book/maps)
I've ordered maps/road book.
This is what you get....a road book "roll" and an overview map of each recommended day.
This is Mississippi, which is a short section, seven maps seven days.
Edit.....seven maps for Mississippi, but only a day and half riding.
image_2015-11-20.jpeg
image_2015-11-20.jpeg (32.05 KiB) Viewed 435 times
By the way, here's may 450exc in "TAT trim" I just need a small rack and may be look into an oil cooler.
I also need to plot suitable dealers on route for oil changes (I don't want to carry oil) I expect I'd change oil every 1200 or so miles.
image_2015-11-20-2.jpeg
image_2015-11-20-2.jpeg (71.02 KiB) Viewed 435 times
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Cheers Steve, that clears that one up.

How are you getting on with the AltRider Hemisphere? I find I use the top straps to add an extra dry bag 'roll' - mine was a Giant Loop Duffel bag (20l I think) but they seem to have discontinued these and gone OTT!

It comes in handy for keeping a change of clothes without having to unstrap your main luggage and just sits behind the Hemisphere without you noticing ...

That's the best picture I have just now - just ignore the panniers and see what I mean.

EDIT - ignore the stool wedged in between the Hemisphere and the Duffel too, I'ma bit of a old softy!

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

SteveW wrote:
By the way, here's may 450exc in "TAT trim" I just need a small rack and may be look into an oil cooler.
I also need to plot suitable dealers on route for oil changes (I don't want to carry oil) I expect I'd change oil every 1200 or so miles.
image_2015-11-20-2.jpeg
Have I missed something??

last week you were taking the F800GS Adv on the TAT, in 2016

Have things changed?
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Simon & Johnny,
I really like the AltRider, it's rock solid, the spacer that lifts the plastic panel away from the exhaust when the AltRider is strapped on is actually a Giant Loop product, but I'd say essential to prevent the panel/bag potentially melting.
image_2015-11-20-3.jpeg
image_2015-11-20-3.jpeg (51.98 KiB) Viewed 435 times
Edit....bloody hell me bikes rusting away!
I will also strap a small "day bag" to the top of the AltRider in the manner you suggest Simon.
Oh yes Johnny, it's all change now! I decided to ditch taking the GSA800. For more fun/safety on the trails.
With my Seat Concepts seat and my newly acquired mini-Airhawk it's like sitting on a Chesterfield Settee :whistle:
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

you going to be asking me for some funds soon Simon ? (thumbs)

I think you have made a wise choice SteveW (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Cheers Spud.
I was pondering buying a DR650 out in the States, like Bart1 did.
But me being me.....I'd want a long list of extras as well....Barkbusters, Ali bashplate, road book and GPS unit, Garmin 650 mount, a rack, a big tank, mounting frame for all my Nav gear, possibly some suspension mods, we're talking another $3000 at least and over a day fitting everything...that's if it all fits! Plus I'd struggle to get a location to fit it.
Plus I wouldn't get the chance to shake all the kit down prior to embarking.
I know it's possible to strap a loop luggage system to a DR 650 and just ride it, but I do like a farkle!
I'd sooner get a bike right for me over here then ship it out, my 450 was 95% good to go.
Plus the 450 is just so good on the trail.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

my thoughts are a DR650 over there, buy on side flog it over the other unless I have bought a CCM, Husky or that tasty looking Portuguese number :kiss: or I've been tempted to go and see Uncle Mike 54 and get one like yours

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I'd say a DR 650 is perfect.
If I bought a DR650 out in the States, then used it on he TAT, I'd defiantly consider spending a grand on shipping it back home and then paying whatever the import cost would be.
They are like rocking horse shit here.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Good job this topic just popped up again - I was wondering how Sam at TAT keeps up to date with such a massive number of changes along the way each year?

I know that the Vibractions guides are helped along by feedback from users bit I also know that this is quite unreliable.

I can't see in either case that the authors of the guides can keep on top just by themselves ... :whistle:

Another issue, what kind of budget do you need for accommodation, food, etc. I thin i remember Barcelona Pat saying this was big issue in his American Highway trip whilst he was in the States.

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
JMoandpiglet

Post by JMoandpiglet »

The Spanish Biker wrote:Good job this topic just popped up again - I was wondering how Sam at TAT keeps up to date with such a massive number of changes along the way each year?

I know that the Vibractions guides are helped along by feedback from users bit I also know that this is quite unreliable.

I can't see in either case that the authors of the guides can keep on top just by themselves ... :whistle:

Another issue, what kind of budget do you need for accommodation, food, etc. I thin i remember Barcelona Pat saying this was big issue in his American Highway trip whilst he was in the States.

Regs

Simon
Hi Simon - I can't speak for the alternative 'guides' out there, but having met Sam Correro earlier this summer, he was just about to embark on a two week trip to Idaho to finish mapping and routing those new sections himself, and indeed, he physically rides all the sections of the official TAT route himself while planning.

As you say inevitably there need to be adjustments made over time - although on the whole any detours tend to be of a temporary nature, due to weather or road/trail closures for repair etc. - and Sam will be the first to suggest you consider the TAT route foremost a guide, rather than insist you follow it inch perfectly.

Certainly it is my understanding that no revisions are made to the official TAT route until Sam himself has ridden and recorded the new sections - although he does put up various 'Travel Advisory' notices on the main website when he has received feedback regarding the current status of various sections of the trail.

Sam spends a huge amount of his time riding, recording and updating the TAT maps, roll-charts and associated information to try and keep it all as current as possible, which is why I chose to support him and ride the official Trans-America Trail route - although as I point out in my report above, I chose to simply use the GPS tracks from him, rather than the paper alternative.

Regarding costs for completing the TAT, it very much varies on how much camping vs. motels you are planning/prepared to do, and subsequently how far off the official route you may want to stray to secure a decent bed for the night.

The full package from Sam includes suggestions for accommodation as you travel through each state, and on the whole the complete route can be broken down into manageable [daily] sections with suitable food, fuel and hotel/camping spots en route.

During the summer months, it is possible to ride the whole TAT in around three weeks - although if you can afford more time, and especially the option to take a day or two off every so often to explore/visit a few of the 'side-shows' as I like to call them, I think you'll have a more enjoyable time of it.

Similarly, you do need to allow for any mechanical issues, and just general bike maintenance - depending on the bike you choose you may need to schedule in an oil change (or two!), and almost certainly will require more than one rear tyre over the duration.

To recap, I took 25 days including the new sections up into Idaho, and that was travelling a lot of hours most days. I only had one full day off (in Moab, to get a new front tyre fitted and catch up on my ride report), plus a couple of shorter days - on the whole I was averaging around 250 miles a day, which I'd say is about as much as you'd ever want to do, otherwise things start to become a bit of a blur.

I passed any number of nice camping spots - some official campgrounds, others perfectly suitable for wild camping (especially the further west you get), which is a great way to travel with minimal extra costs, and indeed some will suggest it's the only way to do it... certainly it means you can stick pretty much to the route itself with minimum extra miles.

However, at the end of a long day riding I like a decent shower and a proper bed, so elected to stay in motels on all but two of the nights.

Motels tend to be a bit cheaper the further west you get - and sometimes you strike lucky with a good value independent, other times you basically have to take whatever is on offer and pay the price - I'd say you need to budget around $50 USD a night for a motel, and a little more if it's one of the larger chain hotels, especially further east where I was regularly having to pay $65 USD or more.

Food wise, there are any number of cafes and diners en route to set you up for the day with a decent breakfast for around $10-12 USD (remember in the US you typically tip 15-20% for food service), and you can always save a bit if you've strayed off the main route to a larger town that has a McDonalds or similar - although you'll soon get sick of that, and I'd say it's not really in the spirt of things... certainly one of the best places to people-watch and get a real insight into local life is a breakfast diner in small-town USA.

For lunch I tended to eat snacks (energy bars, trail mix or a subway sandwich I'd procured when getting fuel on my way out of town in the morning), or if the route coincided with a town around lunchtime, then perhaps stop for burger or similar. Depending on how hungry or late in the day it was, I'd usually look for something local when I stopped for the evening. You can eat cheaply in the USA, although a lot of it isn't especially good for you (it does tend to taste good though!)

I think you can comfortably travel (staying in cheaper motels) for around $100 USD a day during the TAT. Obviously that can essentially halved if you elect to camp instead, and if you forfeit eating out, less still...

There are a few towns with price spikes such as Salida CO, Ouray CO, and Moab UT, plus Ketchum in Idaho would appear to be the most expensive place to stay in that particular state! There are alternatives though, and this is why I also carried a light camping set-up, even though I only used it a couple of times.

Certainly I could really enjoy the TAT with a group of us riding, primarily camping and cooking simply for ourselves over an open fire, Mondo style... However, if you are travelling alone, or perhaps just in a pair, and fundamentally on a reasonably tight time schedule that most people are going to be - then it certainly helps to have a motel destination in mind, and to let someone else to the cooking and washing up!

Hope that helps - any other questions, fire away...

Jenny x

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”