3 weeks around Mongolia, Russia, Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan

Where you've been and what you done
Emf#53

Re: 3 weeks around Mongolia, Russia, Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan

Post by Emf#53 »

Thanks for taking the time to write up your trip - loved reading it and seeing the photos (thumbs)
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

While I'm planning a few farkles for my Morocco trip - are there any things you wish you had done to improve the X-Contry?

Our bikes are similar, e.g. the X-Tank, although I've got H&B carriers as these predated my contact with Erik at Hot-Rod and I'll have to stick with these now.

I have the standard mudguard - I've just me another X-Counytryman with the same as yours I think, i.e. from an 800 GS?

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

I did a fair bit actually:

[ul]
[li]Double Take Mirrors[/li]
[li]HotrodWelding footpeg lowering and protection kit[/li]
[li]Scheffelmeier Sprocket Cover & Bashplate[/li]
[li]Hyperpro all singing all dancing rear shock customised for me[/li]
[li]Hyperpro XChallenge modified front forks with fancy internals etc[/li]
[li]Excel 21 inch front wheel[/li]
[li]X tank, rack etc[/li]
[li]PDM60 Power Module[/li]
[li]Touratech gear lever[/li]
[li]Barkbusters[/li]
[li]Airhawk[/li]
[li]Leovince exhaust - Simply for the weight saving[/li]
[li]Touratech foam air filter[/li]
[/ul]

Some other bits and pieces too. All of it worthwhile in one way or another. I didn't think I had wasted any money. Yeah, the suspension wasn't cheap and neither was the front wheel, but I'd read the scare stories and even bumped into 2 people in Mongolia, one chap who had blown his fork seals on his F800 (Who just Hyperpro springs) and another guy who i think had some rear shock damage, I can't remember. My thought was not so much for the comfort and making me quicker, but rather to be able to handle the washboard and other abuse without failing. I did however get the best of both worlds.

The Airhawk was brilliant, not once did I ever even think of a sore bum. The only thing I'd change there would be to look at the more expensive neoprene one, as the one I have would be soggy if left out in the rain, but even then it was hardly an issue.

The hotrod protection/footpeg kit was good too. It protected me a couple of times from rocks which may have caused damage otherwise to the rear brake pedal shaft etc. Bashplates etc, obviously.

Doubletake mirrors, perhaps overkill a bit, but I only dropped my bike on soft, level sand and the barkbusters took the brunt. On rockier terrain I may perhaps of broken a standard mirror.

PDM60 - Perhaps a gimmick as a fuzeblock or similar would have done the job. But it means i didn't have to carry fuses, it is 100% waterproof and if something "trips" just turning the bike off and on would reset it.

I can't think of anything that I had wished I had done. I took a cable repair kit, but next time I will take a spare throttle and clutch cable as when my clutch lever broke I really thought I was in trouble as depending where it was theoretically broken, the cable repair kit may not have worked. I'd also look at fitting a chain oiler, I had to keep bugging Paul for chain lube. Next time I'll fit an Osco or similar.

The F800 front mudguard is necessary for the 21 inch wheel I had fitted. The Touratech foam air filter (A rebadged Australian bit of kit) is worthwhile as the paper air filter just sivs the dirt through and sand will eventually get through it apparently.

Obviously I gave it proper full check over before I went and service, valve check, wheel bearing check etc. New iridium plugs which seemed to make a small difference, standard UK spec oil but I'd look at changing that for very warm climates. I didn't replace the coolant, just checked it and it was fine, same with brakes, just checked the fluid. The pads didn't suffer but I did have spare pads just in case with me. Obviously all the servicing was done with the same tools I took with me. Thankfully I hardly needed to use any tools on the trip.

I also had the Touratech lip thing for the screen. It made the road miles more bearable and I just threw it in the tankbag for the rest of the time.

Sorry, I've been blabbing!
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

No, you're not blabbing at all.

I've just met Triggerfisher, aka Peter, from over on Adventure Rider with his X-Co, very similar mods to yours. Maybe the only extra he had was an oil cooler that he rates.

Likewise he's a customer of Hyperpro as is Dutchgit and Mrs Dutchgit :whistle:

The coming year I think I need to take a good look at my bike ready for a big tour in Morocco in November. 21" wheel looks like a must, ditto a more useable mudguard - Peter's bike had the same as you - and I need to replace the crap Touratech hand guards with a set of Acerbis's that I picked up in Andorra - that's a bit of a difficult one that - over to Dr Dutchgit ...

Other than that a new chain and a 15 tooth front sprocket is overdue. Peter talked about remapping the engine that gave better low end grunt - that talk left me well out of my depth and I'll ask him for more details when he gets back home.

One thing I noticed from your photos of the clean bike is the lack of chain guard - I took mine off according to Hot-Rod's instructions but apparently that's not necessary with the Mk 2 version, with the cut out to allow for it so after my last ITV - Spanish MoT - I just left it on and I've never had a problem.

Talking of Hot-Rod. I see that Erik has expanded his 'catalogue' a bit. Daft question, what's the point of the footrest lowering kit?

Likewise I replaced the silly plastic guide in front of the rear sprocket with a fully enclosed on form Touratech - apparently it's a KTM part with a special bracket, so you can make your own for 20% of the TT price! But I set great store on the guard itself given the rocky terrain that I cover over here.

I agree about the Double take mirrors being a bit OTT - but the more times I fall off the more I'm glad to have them! Also as at least here in spain you only need one mirror - on the left of course - I sometimes remove the other one, giving me a 'spare' Ram mount to carry a camera, etc.

Phew - us boys with our toys ... :whistle:

Res

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

DanielS

Post by DanielS »

I had forgotten about the KTM Chain guide. It's on my list of things to do.

The remap is a bit of a headscratcher. Hilltop, who are supposed to be excellent, are only a few miles away from me. They only ever get rave reviews from those who use them so I am sure they're good. However my thinking is that BMW map the bike for safety and my intended use takes me all over, high and low altitudes, 80 octane through to 100 octane and it just works. Mapping may make it better for a certain fuel in certain conditions but if you deviate a lot from those then I don't know how it'd perform or if it would even cause damage. It may be perfectly fine, but I'm happy. The bike runs great, has enough power, the MPG is great and it's refined enough for me. Up until last year I spent 10 years owning various Lotus Elise and Exiges. My last one was an Exige with an engine swap (K20 out of a Civic Type-R) with Jackson Supercharger, custom charge cooler, JDM Cams etc running a Hondata ECU which was custom mapped on Shell V-Power. It was all nice and good since that's all it ever ran on and mostly here in the UK. But even the mapper, a well respected guy, said it was best to use it in the conditions it had been mapped. Anyhow ...

The lowered footpegs served 2 purposes. Firstly and most importantly, they have the protection built in, so it protects the shaft for the rear brake cylinder/pedal which is an exposed and vulnerable part. Secondly, they have various fixing points, so you can as I chose to, lower the pegs (Or move them back up) I lowered them purely for comfort. I also had bar risers, once again only for comfort.

As for the chain guard. It's a grey area, I took it off because I thought it "may" hit on the V2 tank. I'll have a look and maybe replace it. The MOT may moan about it however technically my bike doesn't have rear footpegs so it may not be an issue. I prefer to fit it for the MOT though just to avoid any hassles. When I refit it, I'll have a look and see if it can stay.

I need another adventure already! Spain is so close it may provide a quick "fix" :)
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

DanielS wrote:I need another adventure already! Spain is so close it may provide a quick "fix" :)
Whenever you're ready mate - but as of next week it's brass monkeys ...

The Spanish MoT is very stringent - I even disconnect the fuel pipe on the X-tank as in theory I need to add this to the spec of the bike!

My car failed its test the other week because it has a set of fog lights fitted that weren't in the spec! Barking! But of course everyone does the same, take off the extras for the test and then put them all back on again - there's even a local tyre dealer who fits standard tyres to clients' cars just for the test!

Oh well - more work for he working man to do ...

Simon

Tourist-Biker

Post by Tourist-Biker »

Great report thank you for taking the time to post, really enjoyed

Cheers
Jon
DG

Post by DG »

Enjoyed that lads well done. Can you tell me where you can get maps for Mongolia and the Stans please?

Thanks
Running Yorkshire Marathon (AGAIN!) for the National Brain Appeal Please visit my page. Thank you. https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/gavin-pickup1
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

Paper maps - Stanfords in London - http://www.stanfords.co.uk/maps-atlases

GPS Maps - I use a Garmin and get them free from OSM. - http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
Wildman

Post by Wildman »

DG wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:00 pm Enjoyed that lads well done. Can you tell me where you can get maps for Mongolia and the Stans please?

Thanks
Hey DG!

Hope you're well, mate.

I used the Reise Know-How maps. Good enough for general trip planning.

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”