Best way to remember your ride/trip ?

Where you've been and what you done
Glenn_G

Best way to remember your ride/trip ?

Post by Glenn_G »

I enjoy reading all the different ride reports/stories that people put on here and other sites but wondered how you remember all the details, especially on multi day rides. Do people easily recall the information afterwards as they type away online or do you write things down sometime, for example at the end of the day or maybe when they happen? If so electronically or pen and paper?

I use a Samsung WB650 digital camera when I can as this can save pictures with gps coordinates useful for reviewing later to see where you have been especially if off the beaten track.

So tips / ideas please for those like me without great memory :lol:
Willandkate

Re: Best way to remember your ride/trip ?

Post by Willandkate »

On our recent tour of SE Asia I made notes in a draft email then fleshed it out later and cut n pasted it into our blog. All done on the iPhone. You can draft and save a hotmail message even when in flight mode. Worked for me

Interesting question, nice one

Cheers
Our biggest ride - Australia to England

www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

Here is one of mine;
http://www.adventuretrailrider.com/foru ... peaks-2014
The details of which are normally recalled by going back over the photographs.
For me having to write things down on a daily basis would become a chore, but I guess anything that aids triggering the memories whether in pictures or writing are a different means to the same end.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

mark1150 wrote:Here is one of mine;
http://www.adventuretrailrider.com/foru ... peaks-2014
The details of which are normally recalled by going back over the photographs.
For me having to write things down on a daily basis would become a chore, but I guess anything that aids triggering the memories whether in pictures or writing are a different means to the same end.
I do it the same way, photo's give a good chronological record along with a route map from which you can recall events or memories. Flesh it out from that.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

I have an adventure journal for each year and I write in it every night. I find it a great way to relax. When travelling alone it's also a nice thing to do if there is no one to chat to.

Also they have become treasured possessions that I can read in the winter.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Made notes at the end of each day, then on return typed up a more detailed account, still enjoy reading it. Also, Heff of this parish collates our video/ pictures and puts together a DVD with music, also great to look over with a couple of beers (thumbs)
Trev

Post by Trev »

Brenhden wrote:I have an adventure journal for each year and I write in it every night. I find it a great way to relax. When travelling alone it's also a nice thing to do if there is no one to chat to.

Also they have become treasured possessions that I can read in the winter.
Love this idea and envy people who are organised and committed enough to do this type of thing. I'm one of those hardly take a photo, write on a forum or record any routes type of guys, at least that way when I forget a ride I can do the same route again and it seems like new all over again :whistle:
Rederic

Post by Rederic »

Glenn_G wrote:I enjoy reading all the different ride reports/stories that people put on here and other sites but wondered how you remember all the details, especially on multi day rides. Do people easily recall the information afterwards as they type away online or do you write things down sometime,

Keep off the grog or write it down before you start on your tin's of amber nectar :whistle:
If your not the lead dog the view never change's
Bernard Smith

Post by Bernard Smith »

I was an academic researcher in one of my former lives and my research professor once told me:

1. Don't write every day as your ethnographic research will be full of meaningless clutter of little bits and pieces of no value. Wait he said for every second or at the latest, third day. By doing this, he said, what you have left in your memory are the important things that stand out; having value as experiences.

2. Yes. Pictures, and now video, help for the minutia of recall at a later date.

3. Most of Touching the World was written on the road as it happened and in this way. When I got back it was then edited, and edited, and edited.......... and........and....... until the publisher lost patience with me :whistle:

Reader’s Digest on TOUCHING THE WORLD - “…rueful, irreverent, always incredibly vivid, unfailingly honest, a powerful love story in a book crammed with astonishing achievements.”

http://www.worldtour.org.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... wpoints=1/
Willandkate

Post by Willandkate »

Ethnographic research?! Sounds well posh :-) good advice though

Cheers
Our biggest ride - Australia to England

www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”