Hiss Albarracin report 2014

Where you've been and what you done
Mickdb1

Hiss Albarracin report 2014

Post by Mickdb1 »

First attempt to do this so be patient and polite
This post is to alert folks to Spain and empty roads and nice weather and easy trails
Departed for the tunnel for the 1130am crossing to France, I met an old pal Geoff at the Chunnel – (Geoff has little “off tarmac on a big bike” experience). After a thrash along the A16 and then the A28 we drove through Rouen at early rush hour, which was fun for me with my super slim figure and a Sertao, but Geoff had a trio of massive panniers attached to the GS1200 and a small tank bag containing his phone but no charger. Watching Geoff in my mirrors filter for about 30 miles of traffic to Chartres was entertaining too.
From my 0715am KO at Chesterfield, we arrived at “B&B motel” Chartres at 1830 local time, to be met by our riding companion and my only American mate Chris, he lives near Mainz in Germany, he’s a great laugh and had his GS1200 panniers full of gadgets, cameras and a TEAM USA football shirt. Chris held out welcoming refreshment’s for us in the shape of a cool tin of beer. Not a stunning motel but clean and 75 yo yo for 3 blokes safe-ish parking, Mac Shiites, KFC and a restaurant next door- distance from Chesterfield to Chartres 450mile and toll of 4 yo yo.
Day 2 took us down the toll road down the A10 then A71 to Vierzon. We picked up the FREE TOLLED part of the A20 past Limoges and Brive to JK 53 the 820 to Payrac to Rocamadour for a brief coat of looking at. I thought Rocamadour to be a great surprise to the lads – turned out the yank had visited it before – (He said it was a better tour with me though as I had a full knowledge of its ancient history and building techniques used in its construction!!) Food was purchased along the way and it’s comforting to know prices are as expensive as the motorways over here. From Roc on 802 - 840 and 88 to Millau were as good as they could be. The Mecure hotel we chose in the centre of Millau was a little pricey for me at 150 yo yo but we had garaged parking and balcony views of the Bridge. Tolls for the day were 8 yo yo and mirage 450miles - ish.
Day 3 kicked off under the bridge for photo shoot and it’s a big bridge for sure. Sir Norman Foster was the architect and its road surface is 270 mts above the Tarn river. (Normans dad was a water bailiff there years ago and got his lad interested in drawing). The road across towards Toulouse was OK but St Affrique had its market on the main through road and ½ hr added to the route . The road was slow progress so jumped on the Toll A68 and around Toulouse off at St Martory and the quiet roads to meet the N125 at Barbazan Up to Vielha and over the mountain pass to Sort and to the hotel Presset which had underground parking good breakfast and 80 yo yo. Sort is a Good spot for a night out or Rafting in the daytime Milage was 275 miles and tolls 8 Yo yo.
Hiss1.JPG
Hiss1.JPG (89.94 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
Hiss2.JPG
Hiss2.JPG (69.62 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
Hiss3.JPG
Hiss3.JPG (45.21 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
Attachments
Hiss5.JPG
Hiss5.JPG (82.19 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
Hiss4.JPG
Hiss4.JPG (72.42 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
You dont pack up biking when you grow old

You grow old when you pack up biking
Mickdb1

Re: Hiss Albarracin report 2014

Post by Mickdb1 »

more pics
Hiss4.JPG
Hiss4.JPG (72.42 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
Hiss5.JPG
Hiss5.JPG (82.19 KiB) Viewed 1245 times

johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Splendid stuff, keep it coming (thumbs)
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Nice one Mick - you're a gem and no mistake :) Can't wait for the next episode :)

Regs

Simon
PS - if you couldn't catch a picture of your fresh water octopus leaping up the rapids it must have been the very rare speckled fresh water octopus (Pistakkius hispannicus) , the common, or Northern fresh water octopus (Pistakkius chesterfieldiis) wallows in deep, sluggish waters and is thus never seen :laugh:
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Mickdb1

Post by Mickdb1 »

Dont get bored - Just been out with Archie around the peaks for a thrash on the bikes
JB this event is right up your street for sure
next bit

Day 4 started immediately as the road was good to Tremp where we turned onto the legendary C-1311 about 30 mile of continuous bends with great surface. This road was literally built by hand – No machines just slaved labour from captured prisoners in the civil war. There were lots and lots, maybe 50, vulture like birds soaring above - awaiting a meal. (Chris refused to lay on the tarmac to set up a photo shoot).
The 123 and 140 were cracking roads to Huesca down along a river canyon/gorge. As it was steaming hot we jumped onto the A23 the Auto Via around Zaragosa. We left the motorway at exit 44 for an interesting brisk route though Pozondon and Brochales to the Campground at Albarracin. 290 mile day with no tolls. The campsite is Excellent. Clean and litter free, the toilets showers and café food area are spotless. Simon and his lovely better half Polly were straight on the ball to help with the translation as the lady checking us in could only speak basic English and no Derbyshire drawl at all. Evening was spent eating and drinking the great food and wine @ 3 yo yo a bottle, (can’t be bad). Diego the “manager chef waiter” has a speciality of local sourced fresh water octopus; delicious is an understatement for sure. Simon gave brief and simple instructions on the tour book and routes, and also little local laws you should abide by.
Day 5 to 10
The trail-book was split into 3 areas The Mountains – The Forests - The Mix of everything. We went for the local bit of allsorts- Brilliant day, got to camp site at 1900 knackered and chuffed to bits. Next day was the mountain section Brilliant day, got to camp site at 1915 knackered and chuffed to bits, The third day was obviously the Forests, Brilliant day got to camp site at 1800 knackered and chuffed to bits!! The fourth day was a mix of second and third. Accompanying us this day was Ian (the young pretender) a real good lad with a cool bike with loads of modifications I may copy. He was a dab hand with his navigation and GPS usage which was handy to say the least as our groups previous navigator Spanish Johnny had gone home early due to work commitments. Ians ability to ride read and wave was impressive but his hairstyle and slim waistband let the side down. He is hoping to plonk some weight on and go bald for next years event. Discusions or debates were held on who has the best 650 the photos tells the winner by about 3 stone. Fifth day was a walkabout the town of Albarracin then a road ride suggested by Simon – On the road ride we had to return to the camp site just past halfway through it as we would not have got food, but Brilliant roads in this area if you like superb tarmac bends more bendy bends a few hairpins and big fast sweepers. The tyres were well off the edges when we got back, but we had kept to the speed limits in the rural areas and no-one was upset. We rode for first 2 hrs seeing 3 cars and 1 pushbike.

Mickdb1

Post by Mickdb1 »

Hiss8.JPG
Hiss8.JPG (52.34 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
Hiss9.JPG
Hiss9.JPG (51.16 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
In our old farts group for the fist 3 days was a good lad called Spanish Johnny.
Being a local, from Valencia area, Johnny spoke better spanish than I do english
More pictures I hope

johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Mick, take me with you next year (thumbs)
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Mickdb1

Post by Mickdb1 »

I would love the pleasure of your company Johnny
I may be with the wife at night though - and NO to your next thought :P
Hiss16.JPG
Hiss16.JPG (62.71 KiB) Viewed 1245 times

I cant work out how to post more pictures is there a max amount permitted ??

Mickdb1

Post by Mickdb1 »

I cant tell yer how grand this area of Aragon was the pictures do not do it justice
Hopefully Chris will have some cracking action shots of me airborne or summat like that (we did keep to the recommended 30KPH on the trails)
Hiss12.JPG
Hiss12.JPG (56.68 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
Met Rick Stein at the top of this mountain !!
Hiss14.JPG
Hiss14.JPG (63.49 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
This was the start of a great trail - through the Sanctuary archway = stunning

Mickdb1

Post by Mickdb1 »

Getting the hang of posting picture now sorry I am a numptie
Onwards
I have deliberately not done specific trails as I think folks should come and see for themselves.
The Hiss- in Albarracin, I was led to believe, or though I heard, was doable 2 up maybe on a 1150 GS. Well Geoff did all we did on 3 days on a 1200GS with little experience on Heidanau Cats Paws = These are/ look like tourance tyres, he was obviously a bit slower than the lighter bikes or even Chris on the mighty 1200 GS twin cam Karoo shod war horse. This event here is good for anyone from novice to whatever standard. You just ride to your ability /standard and stop to look at the amazing vistas. – No Bike Drops – In fact no-one in our group laid the bike to rest at all – I suppose there were near things of course!!
The groups were only chose for bike sizes – The smaller engined bikes went as the young ones. The fuller figured riders were grouped as the silver foxs. Basically we went on for longer and allegedly faster and ate easily more food than the young uns. Simon was insistent that there was no competition and no racing or upsetting the locals etc. I am sure there wasn’t any of that (in the more mature group at least). Simon said it was his idea to mix and match as yer go so to meet new friends – another lovely idea – Why ride with the same folks every day anyway ??
Coming back was a near copy of the route downwards but used the tunnel to Vielha and started the morning off with a supurb “pretty way though Orea and Mollina”. Veihla is a great town to stay in cheap good hotels and lots of bars and restaurants – It was 330 miles to Veihla from Albarracin . Unfortunately the last bit was the big hot slog to Chartres all motorways A64 – 62 - 20 – 154 about 10 yo yo total in tolls and 490 miles of hot boring motorways
Anyone wanting personal tips or has questions, please “pm” me if yer like or post um up. Best bike for the event would be just about any bike yer want. I of course think a 650 is the best but a tadge less comfie than the big bikes
I would like again to thank Simon and Polly for organising this event, and hope they enjoyed it enough to do it again next year.
Also a big thanks to all the others on the event everyone was a star. Great event - great location - great craic I thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely be back next year……
I do hope this post creates interest in this event and don’t forget the one in September
Unfortunately I have a date with a doctor at end of July but may still make it there as a spectator or road rider if I am OK
I hope it also helps folk with the routes and tips/stories
Warm weather clothing and space for food and water on the bike would be my top tips

DSC01355.JPG
DSC01355.JPG (66.42 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
DSC01356.JPG
DSC01356.JPG (65.35 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
That and Ians a good lad to ride with
DSC01327.JPG
DSC01327.JPG (84.04 KiB) Viewed 1245 times

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”